What is the best internet browser experience ?

30 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by Venom28 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:58 am
I was hoping openelecs download tool had a decent browser but its very poor. I could not even get to login to one of my favourites.

Just wondered what o/s and browser people had tested ?

I know Flash is not working and pages may be slow but want to try and use it if I can as takes about 30 secs to boot !

The o/s needs a gui front end for ease of use.

I already have a decent media centre and really want to use th pi for some browsing .
by BenWiley4000 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:14 pm
Venom28 wrote:I was hoping openelecs download tool had a decent browser but its very poor. I could not even get to login to one of my favourites.

Just wondered what o/s and browser people had tested ?

I know Flash is not working and pages may be slow but want to try and use it if I can as takes about 30 secs to boot !

The o/s needs a gui front end for ease of use.

I already have a decent media centre and really want to use th pi for some browsing .

try midori if you don't have it already. that kind of sucks sometimes, though, so you could try the terminal-based lynx browser. It only loads text (w/ links and entry fields, thankfully), but it's always fast.
by dom » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:20 pm
Use Chromium on Debian Squeeze.
Use Midori on Debian Wheezy.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by kadamski » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:22 pm
I'm using Midori on Raspbian and it's very acceptable. I changed browser settings to identify as iPhone so some pages displays mobile version which is much more lightweight (also it's not necessary). It supports tabs (with closing undo), userstyles (very handy for browsing this forum) and remembers sessions even after crash. The only option it doesn't have is disabling animations.
by ghans » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:52 pm
Any news of Chrome OS ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by Flojer0 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:53 am
I currently have my pi set up with Arch linux and midori and I consider it usable. before I had Debian squeeze and google chrome and it was borderline, I think the dns prefetching was thrashing the cpu. I used midori and debian first and that was abysmal.

With a good connection (40Mb/s in my case) web pages seem to take ~10 seconds on average from enter being pressed to the page being usable. keep in mind most of that is the cpu being pegged and working to render the page. If you already know how to use Arch I'd recommend the Arch/midori combo, if you don't know Arch either find a free weekend to learn or go elsewhere.

Also I haven't tried any other browsers in Arch yet since I think midori is the only one they have on the official repositories so far. when I dive into the AUR I'll probably mess with some others.
by lb » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:24 am
For the best browsing experience, use a machine that is more powerful. Seriously, the Pi is a lousy machine for web browsing.
by tawalker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:42 am
It's Arch and Midori on my Pi, though most sites cause the machine to freeze up for a minute or more, as the machine chews its way through the rendering (probably due to the low RAM). If there were a chance to upgrade the Pi's memory (even to 512MB), I'd jump at it, though I know it's not an option - maybe a possibility for Pi v2?

On a related note, an appeal to the site administrators: would it be possible to make the home/landing page "lighter", for those visitors foolhardy enough to be browsing in with a RasPi? With all the blog posts - often with photos, embedded YouTube videos, etc. - the poor old Pi usually chokes on its own Web site... oh, the irony ;)
---
Raspberry Pi Model B ("ryo-ohki") - Arch Linux/ARM (hard float)
Visit Eee 701 Planetoid (http://eee701planetoid.wordpress.com/) for continuing adventures with an Eee 701SD and Raspberry Pi...
---
by scotta01 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:46 am
On a side note, is anyone else having issues with Chromium on Squeeze? Twice now whilst browsing it has completely locked up the Pi to the point where I have left it 5/10minutes but in the end had to pull the power?
by kadamski » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:09 am
lb wrote:For the best browsing experience, use a machine that is more powerful. Seriously, the Pi is a lousy machine for web browsing.

That is true. Today's web pages are not designed to work fine on such a small device as Rpi. Even using some older computers/laptops (which are couple times faster than Rpi) you won't get good experience.
That being said, it's sometimes usefull to use web directly on Rpi, for example to easly copy/paste some examples from the web.

tawalker wrote:On a related note, an appeal to the site administrators: would it be possible to make the home/landing page "lighter", for those visitors foolhardy enough to be browsing in with a RasPi? With all the blog posts - often with photos, embedded YouTube videos, etc. - the poor old Pi usually chokes on its own Web site... oh, the irony ;)

Try setting your midori to identify as iPhone. It will help in many sites, including main raspberrypi site which has special, trimmed look for phone browsers.
by LordZehyn » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:35 pm
On lower powered netbooks I tend to use Arora:

http://code.google.com/p/arora/

Haven't got my Pi yet so I can't comment on the speed on the Pi...it's incredibly lightweight and fast on Debian on my naff old netbook...

It's not perfect though, it can be a bit glitchy at times...its WebKit based though, so you shouldn't have any problems with most content.

I'd be inclined to just try out Chrome as well...that is surprisingly good on low powered machines...

Cheers

PG
by obarthelemy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:56 pm
Also, you might want to try the mobile version of sites, url usually starts with m. instead of www. Spartan layout, but that cuts both ways.
by Onyros » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:42 pm
On Arch Linux, I've been using dwb. It's as minimalistic as they come, yet a WebKit browser.

The only alternative I consider (GUI) is dillo. Otherwise, I'll just use lynx or elinks. Haven't tried links with the -g flag, though. May be another good alternative.
by Nr90 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:14 pm
With midori on my overclocked pi (1ghz) with a fast sd card (sandisk extreme 45 mbps) the internet browsing experience is far better then I thought it would be.
That said, I will be switching to chromium as soon as it will be available on wheezy. Partially for html5.
by MrScott420 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:20 am
I dont see what Debian users are complaining about with regards to web browsing. Im using Wheezy with Midori and although it's as slow as I'd expect, it is far from being unusable as some users have reported. ive browsed a number of websites with minimal hassle, Google, RPi Forums, Wikipedia, 4chan and they all seem to work just fine.
by abarbarian » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:59 am
I am using a standard ArchArm install with no tuning.Run Window Maker,Netsurf,Leafpad and spacefm.all of them run reasonably well.Surfing is good on some sites and not so good on others.
Window Maker is fast and neat. :D
by paddy2k » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:24 pm
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ice Weasel (a.k.a. Firefox), the Wheezy repos have v10 and the performance is grand under the latest Raspbian. Even HTML5 Youtube videos play (badly).
by mgreenaw » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:52 pm
Lots of recomendations for Midori, but I struggle to class this as usable when it doesn't download files.

Combine this with NetSurf, which can't use Javascript, and then try downloading the Oracle JDK. :-/
by p1nf1 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:03 am
dwb is awesome comparing to midori but is pretty buggy too(can't figure out why ATM, but .xsession-errors is full with errors on dwb and other X/DE/WM stuff) it just works(freezing or crashing sometimes) till one day when it finally refuses to start, always with a different error/reason. i'm new to linux so don't know if there is a way to compile latest and maybe less buggy version myself or how to reinstall from scratch(allready tried to purge it but still the same).
by Metatronin » Mon May 27, 2013 8:38 pm
Iceweasel is fast and works the best out of whats available. Why would you not want to use a firefox based browser?
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install iceweasel
by sdjf » Tue May 28, 2013 3:06 pm
Metatronin wrote:Iceweasel is fast and works the best out of whats available. Why would you not want to use a firefox based browser?

Not all Pi distributions have Iceweasel available...for example, Arch. But you are right about a firefox based browser, I would very much like to put the equivalent browser, seamonkey, on my Pi, but it also is not in repository and not changing distros. Hoping someone will compile seamonkey for arch for us.
FORUM TIP: To view just one person's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then click on "Search User's Posts." || This Pi owner is running Arch on 512MB Model B.
by pwinwood » Tue May 28, 2013 9:11 pm
I have taken to using luakit http://mason-larobina.github.io/luakit/, but then I have been known to use vi as well.
by sdjf » Wed May 29, 2013 12:52 am
Yeah, I like luakit, but there are some sites it cannot handle. And you have to learn the commands, but that is cool if you like vi. Not a whole bunch of menus cluttering up the screen.
FORUM TIP: To view just one person's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then click on "Search User's Posts." || This Pi owner is running Arch on 512MB Model B.
by davedude0 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:53 pm
I'm surprised no one has mentioned netsurf much, as it's great up until the point you need JavaScript... And for that I would reccomend epiphany (the package is epiphany-browser) which is incredibly basic (more so than dillo), about as fast as midori on a good day, and handles JavaScript perfectly well.
I use dillo normally, and netsurf on sites Dillon can't render properly, then on things like live chat forums I use epiphany.
by pseudokool » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:21 am
Yea, Chromium is .. torturous on the RPi, Midori slightly better but then.
So, i'm looking for a browser that can handle 'jquery transitions' and animations, or at the very least
as fadeIn(), slideToggle() ... any recommendations or clues IF Chromium would ever be able to handle these?