What is Chromium and how does it compare to the other OS.

7 posts
by TheLog » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:17 pm
I heard about the Chromium OS and Gooogle Chrome OS. The questions i have are:
Does the Raspberry Pi support it
How does it compare to the other linux software
Does it have any other plugins that are not avalibe to other linuxs.
What OS are u using?
Thats it.
Thanks guys. :D
by jecxjo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:08 am
Chromium/Chrome OS is an OS developed by Google that uses the Linux Kernel and the Google Chrome Browser as its User Space. I ran it back when all those Beta Netbooks were being shipped and as a good generalization "Chrome OS is a system for those who have a computer to surf the web and nothing more". Pretty much just a computer with a web browser and nothing else.

Not sure if anyone is looking at porting it. Since all the distros have the ability to install Chromium, you can get the same affect by running Chromium full screen and logging into Google. The major downside to running COS is you can't install software that is not directly loaded in Chromium. All of the "apps" are web/cloud applications. Want to edit a word document, Chromium sends you to Google Docs.

Google might have some special Chromium-only plugins or add-ons but highly unlikely.

More info on Chrome OS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_os

On my netbook and Pi I run Arch Linux. At work I use Debian for my development platform and have my own internal built distro for products.
IRC (w/ SSL Support): jecxjo.mdns.org
Blog: http://jecxjo.motd.org/code
ProjectEuler Friend: 79556084281370_44d12dd95e92b1d9453aba2bdc94101b
by JeremyF » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:44 am
jecxjo wrote:Chromium/Chrome OS is an OS developed by Google that uses the Linux Kernel and the Google Chrome Browser as its User Space. I ran it back when all those Beta Netbooks were being shipped and as a good generalization "Chrome OS is a system for those who have a computer to surf the web and nothing more". Pretty much just a computer with a web browser and nothing else.

Not sure if anyone is looking at porting it. Since all the distros have the ability to install Chromium, you can get the same affect by running Chromium full screen and logging into Google. The major downside to running COS is you can't install software that is not directly loaded in Chromium. All of the "apps" are web/cloud applications. Want to edit a word document, Chromium sends you to Google Docs.

Google might have some special Chromium-only plugins or add-ons but highly unlikely.

More info on Chrome OS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_os

On my netbook and Pi I run Arch Linux. At work I use Debian for my development platform and have my own internal built distro for products.

Actually, Hexxeh already ported it :) http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/20/chro ... pberry-pi/
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge
by andysuth » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:25 pm
I've just powered my RP up for the first time yesterday and didn't enjoy the stock borwser so installed Chromium on the RP as I use Chrome on my laptop.

It's ok as a browser, though I still can't get flash installed - I believe there are a few issues there.

-AS
by RaTTuS » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:04 pm
flash is proprietary
and will not work
flash generally has been replaced by other things now anyway
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
by BenWiley4000 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:22 pm
Anyone know how to make Chromium not run in background when I close it?
by Venom28 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:15 pm
It is better than the in built browser on debian, I installed chromium on debian last night and its a lot better. Also the functions are easier to expand the screen etc. Buts is still slow. Downloading pictures takes you back to when you had a modem !!!