Chat client for skype?

5 posts
by snoken » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:44 pm
Hi, I'm new to the Raspberry Pi and pretty new to linux in whole.

I'm wondering if there's a client or a solution to make Skype work? I don't need the voice or video chat. I just want to be able to text chat with my contacts on Skype.

If there's a solution that can tie in multiple chats together like say Trillian can for windows I'd love to hear about as I'm looking for a solution to MSN as well. Are there any plugins for this to Irssi?

Sorry if these are totally newb questions, and thanks in advance.

-snoken
by Cloudcentric » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:30 pm
snoken wrote:Hi, I'm new to the Raspberry Pi and pretty new to linux in whole.

I'm wondering if there's a client or a solution to make Skype work? I don't need the voice or video chat. I just want to be able to text chat with my contacts on Skype.

If there's a solution that can tie in multiple chats together like say Trillian can for windows I'd love to hear about as I'm looking for a solution to MSN as well. Are there any plugins for this to Irssi?

Sorry if these are totally newb questions, and thanks in advance.

-snoken

Also best to check previous postings: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=5672
I know everything about nothing"
by bgirardot » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:46 pm
I have not tried it so I do not know how well it run using midori on the RPi, but

https://imo.im/

Is a web based multi IM client so it runs via a web brower.

Worth a shot I guess as I do not know of another multi protocol IM client that supports skype in a way that works on the RPi (for example Pidgin requires skype to run in the background)

Do let us know how it works out if you give it a try.
by gregor3000 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:06 am
snoken wrote:I'm wondering if there's a client or a solution to make Skype work? I don't need the voice or video chat. I just want to be able to text chat with my contacts on Skype.

Skype for linux should do it. i don't know if .deb for debian on website would work on rpi raspbian but you could try it out. if it doesn't it will give you an error. note that skype takes quite a bit of RAM.

yes there are plenty solutions liek that. i think only skype can be used with skype while for other services you have:
Pidgin
Kopete & KDE Telepathy (these two might be a bit heavy for rpi)
Gyache (for improved Yahoo compatibility)
aMSN - free Windows Live Messenger clone (btw i think MSN will stop working anyway as microsoft plans to move users to Skype)
Ekiga (opensource alternative to skype)

there are also command line tools like talk and similar.

i would start with Pidgin and work from there. note that plenty of plugins are available for it to enhance it.
by ghans » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:25 am
Skype for Linux is Skype for x86 .
Skype on Pi has been classed as "embedded" Skype . There is quite
a difference between desktop/mobile (!?) and embedded licencing.
Perhaps thousands of dollars or so. You could try to approach Microsoft
and convince that the Pi is indeed a desktop - and you should get everything
for free and without jumping through hoops.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org