What's better for XBMC, Wheezy/raspbmc/openelec?


 
36 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by trueicecold » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:16 pm
Well, the advantage of Wheezy is the "turbo" mode recently released.
Raspbmc is out of the box fully fledged XMBC, with MP2 codec (which I bought, waiting for the serial)
Plus there's OpenELEC.

Is it better to install XBMC on the Wheezy, or just get Raspbmc? When I say better, I'm talking about performance/plugins.

Thanks!
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:13 pm
by elatllat » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:11 pm
One way to find out; try them all.
I would bet raspbmc, anything Wheezy has raspbmc has a week later but you don't have to muck about to find the optimal settings yourself.

OpenELEC is to cut down (no apt) and uses all the cpu just for the rss feed.
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:05 pm
by jutleys » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:39 pm
If we knew how to install xbmc on wheezy I would tell you.
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:23 pm
by bartender » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:01 am
I'd like to know about installing XMBC on Raspbian, too.
Is it hard to add it into the repo? Is there some special kernel in Raspbmc or something like that?
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:19 pm
by ghans » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:55 am
No , i think it's because everybody wants to customize and
Linux is diversity and choice , mainstream is bad , compile from source yada yada ...

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=15212

If i just knew how packaging works ....


ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
Posts: 4638
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Germany
by rilski » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:15 am
Depends on what you really need.

Just a suggestion, if you'd like a full dedicated XBMC, then I'd go with Raspbmc. But if you'd like to use the Raspi other than XBMC, then installing it on a debian or other distro would be best.
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:33 am
by scorp » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:22 am
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 6:21 pm
by CPOKashue » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:10 am
For folks who haven't seen it, I used these instructions: http://www.memetic.org/pre-compiled-xbmc-for-raspbian/.
Note that this dude's site uses some weird nonstandard space character so to get all his commands to work in Raspbian, you may need to paste them into a text editor and replace the spaces. Once you do though, it's a totally painless install.
I couldn't get RasBMC working so I can't give you a performance comparison, but it's a trifle slow in wheezy. I think some of that is my SD card though. It's noticeably faster if you launch it from the a command without starting X, which is what RasBMC does anyway (you can change some settings so it lets you load a desktop).
Obviously, XBMC being launched FROM LXDE is just a bit too much and runs rather badly.

Issues I have had so far:
-No youtube (I think this is to be expected though?)
-Weather didn't work for me
-Addons just "go away" after a restart

But I was able to watch some onion videos so I was pretty pleased with myself :)
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:13 pm
by jaromanda » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:42 am
I prefer openELEC - they seem to be developing for the Pi at a steady pace, and everything just works - if there's a bug, it usually gets squashed in the next image release

unlike Raspbmc - development is glacial at best

I'd give XBian a go ... if the damn image would download!!
I now own 2 RPi - does that mean I own a circumference?
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:33 pm
by LenReinhart » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:20 pm
Raspbmc works with YouTube if you use search. The canned categories don't work. My add-ons stay. Weather works for me.
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:14 pm
by zoheb18 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:40 am
i use xbmc its fast and reliable
its like a media center and does work full hd

you can download apps such as
utorrent
youtube
all kinds
tvcatchup

i want to create a project based on the raspberry for my university
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:33 am
by elatllat » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:53 pm
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:05 pm
by jaromanda » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:04 pm
elatllat wrote:http://elinux.org/RPi_XBMC

Interesting, but useless in a discussion of which one is better
I now own 2 RPi - does that mean I own a circumference?
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:33 pm
by johnnyvibrant » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:31 am
Ive tried all three, and although all three play movies pretty much fine, xbian currently has the lead on gui responsiveness. I'm not willing to get into any flame war this is just my personal experience.
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:56 pm
by ski522 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:00 pm
johnnyvibrant wrote:Ive tried all three, and although all three play movies pretty much fine, xbian currently has the lead on gui responsiveness. I'm not willing to get into any flame war this is just my personal experience.


Only because they overclock the PI, otherwise with the same clock settings I've noticed them all to be responsive.
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:22 pm
by jaromanda » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:13 pm
ski522 wrote:
johnnyvibrant wrote:Ive tried all three, and although all three play movies pretty much fine, xbian currently has the lead on gui responsiveness. I'm not willing to get into any flame war this is just my personal experience.


Only because they overclock the PI, otherwise with the same clock settings I've noticed them all to be responsive.


RASPBMC installer overclocks as well
I now own 2 RPi - does that mean I own a circumference?
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:33 pm
by jaromanda » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:55 pm
A couple of weeks ago, a big improvement in GUI responsiveness was seen in XBMC for RPi because of the "resolution split" between gui and video. I don't pretend to know the details, but, it means that 1080 videos still display at full res on a 1080 capable TV, but the gui is in lower res (720? 540? again I don't know the details) and scaled up to 1080

raspbmc did not follow this path (at least not initially, indeed the developer disabled it in his compile of XBMC) because it's developer did not understand what was happening, and tweeted FUD about 1080 videos now showing in lower res

so ... until raspbmc decide to use XBMC for Pi code as written by the people who know how to write code, GUI responsiveness will always be inferior on raspbmc
I now own 2 RPi - does that mean I own a circumference?
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:33 pm
by Peteman100 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:48 pm
Just to confirm, are you able to install other programs in the XBMC-optimized builds? Or would I be forced to use something like Raspbian and then install XBMC on top of that?
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:14 am
by sam nazarko » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:07 pm
so ... until raspbmc decide to use XBMC for Pi code as written by the people who know how to write code, GUI responsiveness will always be inferior on raspbmc


Actually, this is very wrong.

I do not agree that users should be forced to use a 720p resolution. I have now provided the option to toggle between 720p upscaled to 1080p, or native 1080p 1:1 pixel mapping. Never did I state that video output was capped. However, you may notice a 720p resolution looks terrible on a 42"+ screen.

I find it interesting you claim Raspbmc is inferior, yet in our forum today, you have made around 20 posts saying that you have never installed it. How can you therefore judge Raspbmc's performance?

Furthermore, you claim to not even own a VDU in the Raspbmc forum, which suggests you can not have tested any distros.

Please stop making sweeping generalisations. Please do not vent about a distribution you have never tried, just because you are angry and cannot install it. Countless times I have offered you help, and you have ignored this to make statements to try and anger other members.
Last edited by sam nazarko on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:05 pm
by sam nazarko » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:07 pm
Peteman100 wrote:Just to confirm, are you able to install other programs in the XBMC-optimized builds? Or would I be forced to use something like Raspbian and then install XBMC on top of that?


Raspbmc and XBian are both Raspian based, allowing package installation. OpenELEC is a closed system and does not allow this
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:05 pm
by jaromanda » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 pm
sam nazarko wrote:Actually, this is very wrong.

I do not agree that users should be forced to use a 720p resolution. I have now provided the option to toggle between 720p upscaled to 1080p, or native 1080p 1:1 pixel mapping. Never did I state that video output was capped.

Yes you did

sam nazarko wrote:I find it interesting you claim Raspbmc is inferior, yet in our forum today, you have made around 20 posts saying that you have never installed it. How can you therefore judge Raspbmc's performance?


pure troll ... I've never judged it's performance - I said it's "development" is slower than openelec, and installer inferior to XBIAN ...

sam nazarko wrote:Furthermore, you claim to not even own a VDU in the Raspbmc forum, which suggests you can not have tested any distros.


more troll - I said I do not have a television where I can get an ethernet cable (easily) ... I suggested I could use an HDMI-DVI cable to connect the pi to my computer monitor ... THIS suggestion by me was met with you thinking I don't have any VDU ... are you simple? stupid, or merely a troll?

sam nazarko wrote: just because you are angry and cannot install it.


not angry, dissapointed

sam nazarko wrote:Countless times I have offered you help, and you have ignored this to make statements to try and anger other members.

[mod removed word], Sam ... you ignored the first time I posted my install issue, then you finally came in, and the sum total of your help for the first hour was to TWICE request the contents of the installer log ... which, if you'd bothered to read the symptoms of my install failure, you would realise, the file simply did not exist

stop trolling, and try to keep to something that resembles FACTS
I now own 2 RPi - does that mean I own a circumference?
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:33 pm
by jaromanda » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:59 pm
Oh, and Sam

sure, ban me from your forum because you don't like what I say, it's your forum, filled with your mutual [mod removed word]fanboi's

but, please delete my account, so I'm never spammed by that know nothing BrianM, nor anyone else from your forum, (except dilligaf , the ONLY person there who seemed to understand the full nature of the issue)

whilst, everyone else was be condescending [mod removed word] who think they are so superior, when, in fact, they know sweet [mod removed word] about how to provide any sort of meaningful support, or simply illiterate and don't understand what "there are two files on the SD card after it fails to reboot, config.txt and license.broadcom" actualy MEANS

you can ask 50 times for the contents of some installer logfile - if the file doesn't exist, then YOUR over complicated installer failed
I now own 2 RPi - does that mean I own a circumference?
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:33 pm
by sam nazarko » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:41 am
pure troll ... I've never judged it's performance - I said it's "development" is slower than openelec, and installer inferior to XBIAN ...

XBian does not have a dynamic installer -- that aside, this is simply not the case. You said:

GUI responsiveness will always be inferior on raspbmc

That sounds like an assessment of performance to me.

more troll - I said I do not have a television where I can get an ethernet cable (easily) ... I suggested I could use an HDMI-DVI cable to connect the pi to my computer monitor ... THIS suggestion by me was met with you thinking I don't have any VDU ... are you simple? stupid, or merely a troll?


Fair enough then, you have a VDU.

not angry, dissapointed


And yet multiple times you attempted to start arguments at the users forum, and, have come here to dissuade people from using the distro with no experience of it yourself.

FYI, 'development is glacial at best' is completely wrong. If you see our SVN repository you will see daily commits, 24 hour nightly builds.

[mod removed word], Sam ... you ignored the first time I posted my install issue, then you finally came in, and the sum total of your help for the first hour was to TWICE request the contents of the installer log ... which, if you'd bothered to read the symptoms of my install failure, you would realise, the file simply did not exist

stop trolling, and try to keep to something that resembles FACTS


I did not ignore it. I have a rule. Due to the sheer volume of posts, if it appears to be a problem that I believe may be user error, I leave it a day or so. Then, if the issue still persists, I look a little deeper. That is what I did with your problem.
The problem is that you are insistent on a headless install. If you have no log file, fair enough, but without any visual output, it's very difficult to diagnose the problem. We even suggested you try a pre-built image, which does not require a network connection, but you did not do that.

I am not trolling at all - I have tried to help and am still willing to.

sure, ban me from your forum because you don't like what I say, it's your forum, filled with your mutual [mod removed word]fanboi's

It's not that I didn't like what you were saying, it's that several people were becoming frustrated. Your posts were touching on other's nerves and you did not seem too bothered about actually getting your install to work, instead hailing XBian and OpenELEC.

I have suspended your posting rights, because, the way I see it, if you would really like some assistance in getting your install up, then I am more than happy to oblige. You can email for help and I will be more than to glad to assist. However, I personally feel that you have only used the forums to make a scene. I will close with this: if you genuinely need help, email me and you will get it. Otherwise, if you really feel Raspbmc development is glacial, inferior, etc, then, I can only advise you do the logical thing and use some other distro.

Kind regards
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:05 pm
by jaromanda » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:00 am
I never said "GUI responsiveness will always be slower" as a standalone statement

as raspbmc was the last to use 720p UI, and given that all 3 distros use the same XBMC (close enough), then it's obvious that WHILE YOU BUCKED AGAINST the 720p UI and stayed with 1080p UI, your UI would always be slower - you can not refute this assertion - besides, you now offer 540p UI, so, you've seen the benefit of the lower res UI for responsiveness - hence my cynicism


I never tried to start arguments ... but while BrianM was treating me like a complete idiot, just because he's been Moss for 30+ years, you seemed to miss the point on several occasions that there was NO LOG FILE created by the isntaller - clearly, you were not reading what I wrote, but assumed I couldn't follow the simple steps for installing raspbmc

I did follow them, to the letter ... it booted, it downloaded the real raspbmc image, and THEN it failed ... this is BEYOND my control, there is no user interaction at this point

as far as the glacial development ... I stand by that, compared to openelec (but not xbian) - every time I visited your website, things were "coming soon", but never arrived (I'm talking when I made the glacial comment, things have changed since then)

you don't like your packaging of raspbian + xbmc negatively commented about .... tough ... there will always be fanbois of other distros that will take a dump on what they don't use

I said on your forum that, by all accounts (of your fanbois, perhaps) that raspbmc is the best of both worlds, the flexibility of xbian with almost the stability of openelec, and I'm keen to get the damned thing working ... but ... your fanbois make it difficult to get support, because they just asume, because t works for them, it should just work for anyone

and I am NOT the only person to have the problem I described ... search this forum, you'll see there is one other who described the same issue - but perhaps there are more with the same issue, but don't want to post on your forum for help, because of the way your fanbois come in and attack, rather than try to help
I now own 2 RPi - does that mean I own a circumference?
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:33 pm
by redhawk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:21 am
My personal favourites are Xbian and OpenELEC their UI performance is much better than Raspbnc also Raspbnc kept throwing weird mmc0 errors at boot time even though my memory card was fine.
XBMC for Wheezy never played videos via composite for me so as far as I'm concerned it's broken.

There are 1GB images of OpenELEC which is great for small memory cards but impossible to add wifi drivers or tools like rtmpdump because the system file system is squashfs and read-only.
If you want an XBMC distro with working apt-get tool for adding wifi drivers and tweaking the system I would recommend you flash a copy of Xbian.

Richard S.
User avatar
Posts: 3519
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:13 pm
Location: ::1