LibreOffice / Open Office

8 posts
by itsonlyme » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:31 pm
There are various threads in this forum about the problems with installing LibreOffice or OpenOffice for Rasbian.
These now appear to be resolved as using the 18/09/12 release of Rasbian and following with apt-get update and apt-get upgrade I have successfully installed the LibreOffice calc and writer modules. (I have not tried the others as I have no use for them)
Working well with overclock to 800, in fact very well.
by meepokman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:44 pm
Hi,

thanks for the timely info! I was about to post in the thread to ask for a presentation software.

Now I'm sure I can give LibreOffice a try.

How do I go about "apt-get" command line in detail?

Sorry, I'm a beginner :)
by jackokring » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:55 pm
Fabulous news. What's the apt-get of the 2 packages?
Pi=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock. https://sites.google.com/site/rubikcompression/strictly-long
by itsonlyme » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:10 pm
I presume it is something like apt-get libreoffice, but I cheated here and did it through synaptic (apt-get install synaptic)
by thsBavR10 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:53 pm
You could try
Code: Select all
apt-cache search libreoffice
by acacia460 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:23 pm
Hi, first time poster and linux/RPi uber-n00b...

I've been mostly pretty good about figuring out stuff for myself so far, but I'm running into problems trying to install libreoffice on raspbian wheezy. Long story short, my RPi works for nearly an hour trying to install then gives up.

As an über-n00b, I'm not even sure what info is important, but I'll attempt to provide what seem to be the critical details:
1. I used apt-get to try to install libreoffice. I don't have the exact line I wrote down in front of me at the moment, but from memory it was something like "sudo apt-get download libreoffice" then "sudo apt-get install libreoffice"
2. It seems to be working, downloading files, merrily installing packages, then suddenly starts giving me error messages I don't understand (now I'm really kicking myself for leaving my notes behind...somehow I think those messages may help you guys help me).
3. There is one part of the error message(s) that indicated that my SD card was full. (more on this in a bit)
4. I do use an 8 GB SD card onto which I installed the img file myself on Mac OS using terminal.
5. While my card, as mentioned above, is 8 gigs, for some reason when I check the size on my RPi it indicates around 1.8 gig capacity which I suspect has something to do with why I'm failing at installing libreoffice.
5. I have installed no other software onto the card besides the wheezy package I downloaded from this website. In fact, I don't really even know how. Its one of the reasons I attempted to download libreoffice in the first place, to learn how to install programs onto my RPi.
6. One more seemingly important detail: I can use startx without issues before I attempt this install. Afterwards though, when I type startx into the prompt, it tries and fails and sends me back to the prompt.

I'm sorry this was such a long post, I'll try and be more concise as I learn more. Also, if I'm in the wrong thread I do apologize. I've solved all my previous problems on RPi through research, but this one is starting to frustrate me, especially since each try (3 so far) takes about an hour and requires me to recreate my SD every time.
by itimpi » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:22 am
When you initially write the image, itt is set up to fit on a 2GB card. This means that there is a lot of unused space at the end of the card if you have a card larger than this.

When you first started Raspbian you should have been given a menu of which one of the options was to re-size the data partition to fill the card. It sounds as if you did not do this? You can call up that menu again using the command:
sudo raspi-config

Note that this is two stage process. The first stage happens when you pick the relevant menu option and the card is set up to have the data partition expanded. This is quick, but at this point the extra space is not available. If you now reboot the system, the card will get expanded during the reboot process (so the reboot might take a little longer than normal).

At any time you can see the space used/free by using the command
df
by acacia460 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:00 pm
Thanks for the replies. I would have posted earlier by my law school duties have kept me busy. I did ultimately figure it out and did get LibreOffice installed. I noticed the option to increase my partition when I recreated my SD card soon after I posted.

Thanks again!!