Manual compile of Firefox in ARCH

12 posts
by darrylb » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:44 pm
Hello All,

I was hoping to see if anyone had any information on how to compile firefox on Raspberry PI. I want to build from preferably scratch if possible, but am having troubles finding where I can find the download, and find out if there will be any other road blocks beside xlrunner.

I am still a bit of a linux novice, but have been learning and feel this would be a good next step. I know arch in x86 has a package for Firefox, but havnt found one for ARM.

I do realize this has been discussed a bit, and realize that there is a debian fork (IceWeasel), but wanted to ask again as I have also found references to people running firefox. I also was unable to find a package for IceWeasel which could work if it is fairly up to date with the latest releases, as I need decent HTML5/CSS compatability.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Ultimately, I am needing to get Firefox and Java running on RaspberryPI as I need HTML5/Javascript compatability, and to run a basic java app which actually acts as a simple web server.

Thanks!
by darrylb » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:34 pm
And now, after re-reading that message, I see how poortly it was written....and I cant edit it... :(
by Cloudcentric » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:43 pm
Arch uses ARMv6 and found the following in the repositories

armv6 extra openjdk6 6.b24_1.11.4-1 Free Java environment based on OpenJDK 6.0 with IcedTea6 replacing binary...

armv6 community midori 0.4.7-3 Lightweight web browser based on Gtk WebKit

http://archlinuxarm.org/packages

There is an overview here of Building Packages

http://archlinuxarm.org/developers/building-packages
I know everything about nothing"
by darrylb » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:02 pm
Thanks, but I think you misunderstood.

I actually am already compiling the Oracle JDK right now. As for Firefox, I believe it has been manually compiled by other people (not through pacman). I was hoping to see if anyone had instructions or a location where I can download the latest Firefox.

I tried Midori but it does not function as needed. I confirmed that Firefox + ARCH (on x86 in one of my VM's) works as I need. That is why I am pushing it... or something comparable in HTML5/CSS3 compatability.
by flyinghappy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:19 pm
firefox-git, icecat and iceweasel are in the aur so you could use yaourt to install any of them from the aur _hopefully_ not sure exactly how well all of the aur stuff works on the pi, the few things I have tried have worked though.

The source code should be at this link https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... ource_Code
Pi with ArchLinux running a minidlna/samba home server
by darrylb » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:37 pm
Thanks, ill check out both Yaourt (Firefox-git) and a manual build.

I did find a place to get the latest (17.0.1) firefox build for linux:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
by darrylb » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:07 am
So, Upon a lot of work, I was able to figure out how to get the Oracle JRE (Headless) working (Horray). Though I am having a heck of a time with getting a good web browser.

I tried Midori again, and found that javascript would cause it to crash and hang frequently.

I attempted to track down Firefox, but only found it for linux x86/64bit, not ARM. I tried using the AUR, but this wont work on Raspberry PI (Gives an error about not being developed for this specific version of ARM).

Attempted Chromium from the AUR, same issue as above.

I just need a web browser that is fairly CSS3/HTML5 compliant (no HTML5 video). Anyone have suggestinos or how-to?

Thanks.
by Cloudcentric » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:45 am
It would appear that the majority of Firefox Porting has been undertaken in ARMv7 which is more common than ARMv6 of the Pi for consumer products.

Maybe run Midori in a session, kiosk mode, this may free up more resources ?

http://superuser.com/questions/219511/b ... ow-manager

Silly question but have you updated Arch, the last major update was a fortnight ago I believe

pacman -Syu
by Cloudcentric » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:06 pm
from the CLI

startx /usr/bin/midori
or
xinit /usr/bin/midori

depending on your setup
by darrylb » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:57 am
Thanks I tried your suggestion (using startx) and I found that though the browser didnt crash, Javascript didnt execute as it does on Firefox on my Arch x86 VM that I built, or my Debian x86 VM.

I just need a browser with solid HTML5/Javascript/CSS3.

Is IceWeasel available to be compiled? Should I just be using Raspbian for the time being? I actually like Arch as I have learned a lot in figuring out how to configure it (as needed), and was very successful on x86... just not on RaspberryPI as of yet...

Thanks.
by Cloudcentric » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:09 am
I am a fairly newbie at Linux and am out of ideas, though it would seem that Chromium Browser has an ARM port in developement.

Regards IceWeasel the latest I can find is version 10 in Raspbian.

Regards Java have you tried with IcedTea6 ?

Regards Raspbian, I have found the latest updates have made it more stable and usable, though the Midori Web browser is an older version at present, and is the Disro which I use most:

http://debianarmpi.blogspot.co.uk
by darrylb » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:40 pm
Thanks for your time.

I ended up switching to Raspbian for the time being, until arch gets a few additional packages. IceWeasel is pretty solid, and will do what I need!