repois list??

6 posts
by rinky451 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:18 pm
can anyone give me a command to access the packages listed so i may know of what programs are availale. I have tried repoislist and so forth and have no idea what programs will go onto the pi and which will not. would be real helpful
by sdjf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:52 pm
By "repois list", are you meaning the repository list? It depends on which distribution you are talking about. Each has it's own repository and mirrors.

Which distribution(s) are you considering?
FORUM TIP: To view just one person's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then click on "Search User's Posts." || This Pi owner is running Arch on 512MB Model B.
by mad-hatter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:35 pm
Hello,

You could try synaptic.

From a terminal type:- sudo apt-get install synaptic.
Then from a root terminal type "synaptic", and wait, it takes a while to get going.

Should give you a list of available programs.
Use with care.

Regards
by rinky451 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:11 pm
mad-hatter wrote:Hello,

You could try synaptic.

From a terminal type:- sudo apt-get install synaptic.
Then from a root terminal type "synaptic", and wait, it takes a while to get going.

Should give you a list of available programs.
Use with care.

Regards

thank you mr hatter. I thought of that after I posted. your exactly right. and as for "use with care" how do u mean sir. I got another issue with the screen going out over time and I run off of the composite cord. do u have any ideas how I can keep the screen active?
tks again
rinky
by mad-hatter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:01 pm
Hello,

Its very difficult to know the size of the installations, you could fill up the SD card.
Your screen is is blanking due to power saving settings. Don't worry about it.
Just move the mouse or press any button on the keyboard to make the screen come active.

Regards
by rinky451 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:23 pm
mad-hatter wrote:Hello,

Its very difficult to know the size of the installations, you could fill up the SD card.
Your screen is is blanking due to power saving settings. Don't worry about it.
Just move the mouse or press any button on the keyboard to make the screen come active.

Regards

Ok i understand what you are getting at on size. I run a 32g card so it will take a while to fill that. but I am only using this as a 2nd puter to do light and my tower for the big stuff. As for the blanking it was not in the power settings I already had that changed. I had to do with a script and I will post as follows

sudo nano /etc/kbd/config

and change the
BLANK_TIME=30
to
BLANK_TIME=0

then hit ctrl x together to bring up the accept y or n.
Hit y and then close terminal and then reboot.

then after a reboot it will never blank,
you can type
setterm -blank 0
at the command line to do it now