GUI for OMXPlayer

5 posts
by bobbydriver » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:52 am
I have OMXPlayer running fine on my Pi so I can play videos from the command line

However, what I'd really like to do is have some sort of client GUI that I could run from my phone or tablet to play video files on the monitor (not on the phone/tablet)

Is there anything available that fits the bill? I've looked at a few things but not got very far
by rinky451 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:53 pm
bobbydriver wrote:I have OMXPlayer running fine on my Pi so I can play videos from the command line

However, what I'd really like to do is have some sort of client GUI that I could run from my phone or tablet to play video files on the monitor (not on the phone/tablet)

Is there anything available that fits the bill? I've looked at a few things but not got very far

I tried to load the player omx and yum tells me its not there to get
by Snagfu » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:30 am
I was thinking about this approach as well, as I find xbmc is just too slow on a raspi.
One could build a simple sinatra (or whatever) web application, that gives a heavier ui app running elsewhere the file listings (and whatever necessary) as json and locally executes and handles omx player.

The only downside is that you need another computer just for controlling the player. I guess getting an apple tv or similar would be less hassle and offer more convenience with a very similar price tag.

Then, I do not know if one can pause and fforward (for example) a running player from the command line.
by bobbydriver » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:14 pm
I got this working

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15947&p=212485

and while it's not particulalry elegant and requires Apache & PHP on the pi - it does what I want

I can control omxplayer on the pi (attached to my TV) via a web page on the tablet and/or phone
by bobbydriver » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:44 pm
At the weekend I found this Android app that allows you to remote control OMXPlayer on the Pi, via your android phone/tablet

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... mote&hl=en

Does pretty much what Juggler's application does, (viewtopic.php?p=161523#p161523) but nicely wrapped in an Android app and without the need for installing Apache & PHP on the Pi. You just put your IP, username/passwd and video folder into the app and it does the rest

The free version has some ads for GoogleChrome, but the paid version is 50p and has a couple more config options. Well worth it