No more despotify?

13 posts
by payturr » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:33 pm
Okay guys, I'm Pete. I have a HUGE thing for music. Therefore I have a Spotify account. I also love the Pi and own one, but apparently, despotify is dead. despotify.se is down apparently, and hexxeh's code to put despotify doesn't work on the official Raspbian image (error while compiling). Does anyone have a fix for this? Does anyone understand what the issue can be? I seriously would like to have my Spotify account on my amazing Pi, so if someone can enlighten me as to what the fix is, I would appreciate it, thanks.
by nthomson » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:49 am
despotify.se is back up I believe.

There's a few threads about this but the following with a fresh install of Raspbian worked for me-

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install libao-dev libtool git libssl-dev libmpg123-dev libvorbis-dev libncursesw5-dev subversion
svn co https://despotify.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/despotify despotify
cd despotify && make && make install

This installs the version from svn rather than hexxeh's raspi specific one from github, which I had problems compiling.
Thanks to Patschi for this: viewtopic.php?p=137819#p137819.
by payturr » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:24 am
Thank you SO much, this just made my day :)
by MattyH » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:24 pm
nthomson - you're a star. Spotify now running, with only the pain of an extra fiver a month for the premium subscription.
by Krammeh » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:11 pm
It requires premium? Dam. I only have unlimited. Gah!
by Hexxeh » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:56 pm
Sadly despotify got broken shortly after it's release in the PI Store. despotify was an open-source project started years ago to produce an open-source Spotify client back before libspotify even existed.

However, it implements a protocol version that was current when the project was started, but is now very old. As such, Spotify have disabled support for this protocol version recently, which is why the client no longer works. The original team that developed despotify don't appear to be interested in reversing a newer protocol to fix it up, so I started my own project to reverse their latest protocol and produce a new client.

I'm happy to announce that it's been pretty successful, and I have a new client ready for testing. I'm working out the kinks in the installer now, and I'll post details here very soon.
by Duncan_Rowland » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:57 pm
Looking forwards to it :)
by kefa » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:53 am
+1 from me. I just hit a brick wall with the original despotify client. Compiled fine on Pi but gave a 'Segmentation Fault' when trying to run as a plugin for MPD. I'm guessing protocol incompatibility is the reason (if this is the case I'll let the MPD guys know as I have a bug filed here: http://bugs.musicpd.org/view.php?id=3645). I would certainly be willing to help test your updated version is compatible with MPD.
by Duncan_Rowland » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:20 pm
kefa, I been trying hexxeh's respotify from his git repository, works great :O)
by kingblind » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:59 pm
Duncan_Rowland wrote:kefa, I been trying hexxeh's respotify from his git repository, works great :O)

Can you help a linux moron out with how to get respotify installed / running?

thx
by noob » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:35 pm
will it work on open elec?
by NathanBookham » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:10 pm
noob wrote:will it work on open elec?

Yeah, but it will only work from the terminal.
This account is now inactive.
I am now known as 'InverseSandwich'
by Yablargo » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:57 am
Hey guys, just a FYI, while the despotify client has some problems, libdespotify is running great.

Your best bet is to work off the simple client.

I was able to string together something pretty cool with the following:

the despotify gateway
the simple client that I modified to take a track id directly
Some PHP browsing pages (I realize I did this wrong.. I could have just set my browser to handle spotify links and used the standard spotify pages)
a simple script that loops and looks for stuff in my queue.txt

The simple client will pick up and play a track 100% of the time without a problem. Alot of the issues I had came down to playlists not playing right, but i could always play a song directly.

So what I have is when I click on a song in my browser, it appends the song's trackid to my queue.txt

Simple bash script looks at the file once a second, and if it is there runs simple.sh <login> <password> <trackid>

My simple client exits after playing a song, and it will reconnect on each one. I was playing music for 2 days straight without a prob. So basically I just have a big web-accessable queue that it plays down one by one. Works great *on linux x86* though! The despotify client problems seem to be just that, client problems.