What's better for XBMC, Wheezy/raspbmc/openelec?


 
36 posts   Page 2 of 2   1, 2
by sam nazarko » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:46 am
jaromanda wrote:I never said "GUI responsiveness will always be slower" as a standalone statement

as raspbmc was the last to use 720p UI, and given that all 3 distros use the same XBMC (close enough), then it's obvious that WHILE YOU BUCKED AGAINST the 720p UI and stayed with 1080p UI, your UI would always be slower - you can not refute this assertion - besides, you now offer 540p UI, so, you've seen the benefit of the lower res UI for responsiveness - hence my cynicism



As I said, while 720p capping does give a performance gain it also restricts the user. Raspbmc is now the only distribution that lets you toggle 720p/1080p as the menu resolution. I have reverted the 540p patch back to 720p as the extra FPS are unnecessary


I never tried to start arguments ... but while BrianM was treating me like a complete idiot, just because he's been Moss for 30+ years, you seemed to miss the point on several occasions that there was NO LOG FILE created by the isntaller - clearly, you were not reading what I wrote, but assumed I couldn't follow the simple steps for installing raspbmc



Comparing him to a fictional character does not help matters much. Yes, I see, no log file was created. Not the easiest thing to diagnose without TV output either, but I'm willing to give it a shot, and if you use your DVI cable we can get some output and I can resolve any issues that you are experiencing.

I did follow them, to the letter ... it booted, it downloaded the real raspbmc image, and THEN it failed ... this is BEYOND my control, there is no user interaction at this point


I do not believe the issue in this instance is user error.


as far as the glacial development ... I stand by that, compared to openelec (but not xbian) - every time I visited your website, things were "coming soon", but never arrived (I'm talking when I made the glacial comment, things have changed since then)


You are entitled to your opinion but I can't agree with it. Raspbmc was the first distribution to get PVR support -- even before the opdenkamp/mainline merger, as I merged it into the mainline branch. It got codec support pretty much the day after it came out. Raspbmc releases are generally quite slow in cycle time -- but as I always say, I'm a fan of not releasing early and releasing often.

you don't like your packaging of raspbian + xbmc negatively commented about .... tough ... there will always be fanbois of other distros that will take a dump on what they don't use


Granted -- not everyone likes one particular distro, that's why all the other ones exist. It's about the user using what is best for them.


I said on your forum that, by all accounts (of your fanbois, perhaps) that raspbmc is the best of both worlds, the flexibility of xbian with almost the stability of openelec, and I'm keen to get the damned thing working ... but ... your fanbois make it difficult to get support, because they just asume, because t works for them, it should just work for anyone



That is I admit, a bad assumption. Chalking up to user error is often the easiest way of denying a problem. But without visual output or a log (not your fault about the log it seems), there is little anyone can chime in to assist.


and I am NOT the only person to have the problem I described ... search this forum, you'll see there is one other who described the same issue - but perhaps there are more with the same issue, but don't want to post on your forum for help, because of the way your fanbois come in and attack, rather than try to help


This issue was common in September when we hada mirroring issue but as they are all resolved the issue seems to have faded
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:05 pm
by sam nazarko » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:48 am
redhawk wrote:My personal favourites are Xbian and OpenELEC their UI performance is much better than Raspbnc also Raspbnc kept throwing weird mmc0 errors at boot time even though my memory card was fine.
XBMC for Wheezy never played videos via composite for me so as far as I'm concerned it's broken.

There are 1GB images of OpenELEC which is great for small memory cards but impossible to add wifi drivers or tools like rtmpdump because the system file system is squashfs and read-only.
If you want an XBMC distro with working apt-get tool for adding wifi drivers and tweaking the system I would recommend you flash a copy of Xbian.

Richard S.


The mmc0 errors are present in all distros as they are firmware related. XBian and OpenELEC just hide this. I will do so too as it seems of little harm.
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:05 pm
by BrianM » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:08 pm
jaromanda wrote:I never tried to start arguments ... but while BrianM was treating me like a complete idiot, just because he's been Moss for 30+ years, you seemed to miss the point on several occasions that there was NO LOG FILE created by the isntaller - clearly, you were not reading what I wrote, but assumed I couldn't follow the simple steps for installing raspbmc

I did follow them, to the letter ... it booted, it downloaded the real raspbmc image, and THEN it failed ... this is BEYOND my control, there is no user interaction at this point
don't want to post on your forum for help, because of the way your fanbois come in and attack, rather than try to help

Well jaromanda (or should we call you John Plsek?) you're quite the rudest and loathsome ingrate that I've come across in a long time. You expect that you should get support from the user community whilst simultaneously slagging them off. Now THAT is an idiotic proposition.
You opine about the performance of Raspbmc yet state that you aren't able to get it to run. You claim that Sam's efforts in Raspbmc are unworthy and yet expect his assistance and miraculous problem solving when you run into a problem that quite possibly (or not) could be of your own making. (Or as simple as a flaky PSU?. e.g. One that had been working until yesterday for me, decided to not do so - who knows?)
And your trolling knows no bounds. I know little about Linux, but loads about IT problem isolation. But you insist I was treating you like a moron, whereas your problem description was scant at best, and needed more information teasing out of you like pulling hens' teeth.
You then get all self congratulatory as you've realised you DO have access to another screen, and when you realise that HDMI and DVI share signal types. Wow, well done!
Your comments to me in your private mail are offensive and bigoted in the extreme and would be libelous if repeated in public.
You're a complete disgrace to yourself, and deserve banning from this place, too.
Brian
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:09 am
by jaromanda » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:26 pm
Please confine your trolls to raspbmc forum, Bwian - email? why would I email you?

ingrate? Ingrate suggests you tried to help ... repeatedly telling someone they must've done something wrong is not helping

raspbmc install, from the user perspective, is so easy, even YOU did it

burn image
boot in pi that is connected to internet

anything that goes wrong during this second phase, is not due to a user doing anything wrong

I repeatedly told you that the pi + sdcard + PSU + network connection works perfectly well with openelec, xbian and raspbian - so, you can rule out
a) the pi
b) the power supply (the catch all of the pretend raspberry pi help)
c) the sdcard
d) the network cable
e) the internet connection

what's left? oh, the fact that I did not have the pi connected to a TV during phase two. Because it is impractical for me to do so

My question was directed to Sam, because, as he may be the only person to actually know what his installer actually does, the concise description of what I observed, and what ended up on the SD card MAY have been enough for him to point to a POSSIBLE problem

it wasn't

but ... in the meantime, you decided to treat me like an imbecile, providing the same bullshit responses that all pointed to me doing something wrong

tell me, O wise Bwian - what could I have possibly done wrong? I fail to see, given that all the hardware is tested to be working, what it is that I could've possibly done incorrectly
Last edited by jaromanda on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I now own 2 RPi - does that mean I own a circumference?
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:33 pm
by jaromanda » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:27 pm
oh, and as for posting my real name ... what did that achieve? did you type it one handed? you're a (one handed) keyboard warrior of the lowest order ... [mod removed completely inappropriate]
I now own 2 RPi - does that mean I own a circumference?
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:33 pm
by Wanderlei » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:33 pm
Feels a bit like watching dad hit mum at the dinner table and being made to keep eating in here.

I think we are pretty lucky to have three separate developments of xbmc going on. All have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally I have been using openelec the most, only because early on I found a build that suits my needs. But I still like to have play with all of them now and again.

Anyone who spends time supporting any of these awesome xbmc versions is a righteous dude in my book.
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:01 pm
by BrianM » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:35 pm
Wanderlei wrote:Feels a bit like watching dad hit mum at the dinner table and being made to keep eating in here.

I think we are pretty lucky to have three separate developments of xbmc going on. All have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally I have been using openelec the most, only because early on I found a build that suits my needs. But I still like to have play with all of them now and again.

Anyone who spends time supporting any of these awesome xbmc versions is a righteous dude in my book.

+1 on all counts (and sorry for breaking into the fight)
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:09 am
by jaromanda » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:41 pm
BrianM wrote:+1 on all counts (and sorry for breaking into the fight)

what fight? the last post from Sam towards my issue was 90% positive - you just came in and stirred the pot again. I know your type - you thrive on confrontation
I now own 2 RPi - does that mean I own a circumference?
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:33 pm
by jaromanda » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:44 pm
Wanderlei wrote:Anyone who spends time supporting any of these awesome xbmc versions is a righteous dude in my book.


It helps if the support comes from someone who can not only read, but undertand what they read, and not just post the same non advice ad nauseum - but hey, not everyone is cut out to be a Roy or Moss
I now own 2 RPi - does that mean I own a circumference?
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:33 pm
by sam nazarko » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:10 pm
Your comments are constantly profane.

Furthermore, "Johnny Bravo" / "jaromanda", you seem to have expressed your enjoyment at:

step 19) repeat steps 2-4 and 8-10, just in case you really did something wrong the first two times
step 20) realise the only thing less mature than raspbmc code is the kid who "created" it
step 21) find raspbmc maintainer on twitter
step 22) abuse the [mod edit for language]out of him


Source: [Liz: link removed, because Jaromanda has now started impersonating Sam at that link and is generally being a giant tool. Jaromanda: please stop emailing me.]

You clearly, have no issue, but are complaining for kicks? Slow day?

If you want help, you can figure it out yourself, I've tried to help. Offered to assist with any errors you might get if you used the DVI connection, but you've neither acknowledged my offer nor shown interest in resolution. Thus, I will provide no further support.
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:05 pm
by liz » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:34 pm
This was exceptionally disappointing to read, and the sort of stuff that we really don't want to see around here. As always, we expect people on this forum to be civil: this means that you don't say stuff to each other that you wouldn't say to one another's faces. One of the participants in this thread has earned himself a ban now - and as for the rest of you, please DON'T FEED THE TROLLS. I'm closing this thread.

In the future, if you feel that someone has overstepped, please hit the report button and leave the mods a message. They'll take action if it's necessary.
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
User avatar
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Posts: 4036
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:22 pm