Cross compiled kernel won't boot


9 posts
by honda4life » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:47 pm
I've followed this wiki under Ubuntu:
http://elinux.org/Rpi_kernel_compilation#Ubuntu_Linux
Copied the config as described and afterwards menuconfig to enable PPP filtering.
Build completed, copied the kernel en ending with the "test screen".
i've copied the latest kernel from github to /boot/ so the other files should be up-to-date ;)

What can I do wrong with this, it should be so easy...
Who has a clue?
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:27 pm
by Killerbee » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:30 am
If I understand you correct you are able to compile a new kernel.
Are you able to convert the kernel to a kernel.img file using this command?
Code: Select all
python imagetool-uncompressed.py path/to/linux/arch/arm/boot/Image

If it works you will find a kernel.img file. Copy this file to your SD card's /boot directory

At least your pi should boot.
Please let me know if you pi boots because we need to copy the modules also

KB
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:38 pm
by dom » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:48 am
Killerbee wrote:
Code: Select all
python imagetool-uncompressed.py path/to/linux/arch/arm/boot/Image


Actually this is now optional. Recent firmwares will accept the "Image" file directly (just renamed to kernel.img).
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 3992
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge
by Killerbee » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:22 am
dom wrote:
Killerbee wrote:
Code: Select all
python imagetool-uncompressed.py path/to/linux/arch/arm/boot/Image


Actually this is now optional. Recent firmwares will accept the "Image" file directly (just renamed to kernel.img).

Nice :) thanks but does it work with the ZImage as well?
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:38 pm
by dom » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:31 am
Killerbee wrote:Nice :) thanks but does it work with the ZImage as well?


No.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 3992
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge
by honda4life » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:20 am
Yes, compilation is ok
Indeed commands aren't needed ;)
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:27 pm
by hongrun007 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:41 pm
I tried to use Image file directly , but it doesn't work , after I use the script , it works ,any one can tell me why ?
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:38 pm
by AndrewS » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:51 pm
Did you rename the Image to kernel.img ? Are you using up-to-date firmware (start.elf & bootcode.bin)
User avatar
Posts: 2869
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:50 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
by hongrun007 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:45 pm
AndrewS wrote:Did you rename the Image to kernel.img ? Are you using up-to-date firmware (start.elf & bootcode.bin)

Even if i don't rename it , i know that i can modify the config.txt file to assign the kernel file. and i use the 2013-07-26-wheezy-raspbian system , i think the firmware is already up-to-date.
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:38 pm