Destruction Testing

4 posts
by pygmy_giant » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:01 pm
Have been reading about cooling/overclocking and think there could be benefit to the community in testing a Pi to destruction to ascertain its overclocking limits.

Of course this would be in the interests of science and would have to be performed under tightly controlled conditions, with much prior planning.

Any volunteers?
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.
by ghans » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:31 am
I heard you cannot destroy the Pi by overclocking (but perhaps by overvolting) .
It simply does not boot.
Perhaps you can "burn in" a overclocked Pi by putting it under load.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by Gert van Loo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:39 am
A single sample is not representative of the whole population anyway.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by pygmy_giant » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:36 pm
I would imagine such an experiment having at least 4 devided into 2 groups of 2 - with each group conraining a pi experiencing normal use and another experiencing extraordinarily high use. One group could have heatsinks and the other not.

More is better but possibly impractical.

Could be crowd funded with each donator entering a sweepstake to bet on the expirey point.

Bit of a macabre fantasy really, but would be interesting to see how much this little board could take.

I guess this sort of testing should have (and possibly has) been done by the foundation prior to release any how.
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.