floodstop device - help

9 posts
by dliloch » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:49 pm
Hello,
I just purchased a floodstop water leak detector system. It has three outputs.. one of them I am simply going to plug in the detector plate and place it on the floor .. but the other one I wanted to control by my raspberry pi. If I detected that I was using more than 50 gallons in a 24 hour period then I want the raspberry pi to close the circuit..I know nothing about electricity and I don't want to blow my raspberry pi .. I've done some of the LED GPIO projects and I can turn off and on leds but it seems I need to trigger some sort of switch here .. I did talk to the people at floodstop but they hadn't heard of the raspberry pi.. of course now they have! At this point I am not addressing the issue of detecting my water use.. I just want to be able to close the valve ..

thanks!
by techpaul » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:54 pm
Once you know the spec of the signals (and how the unit uses/responds to them) more people may be able to help.

I should imagine searching for floodstop spec or connector or signals will reveal a lot.

The website for the company making them may have a user manaul with spec available.
Just another techie on the net - For GPIO boards see http:///www.facebook.com/pcservicesreading
or http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/pi/
by aTao » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:20 pm
If you mean this http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/rewilliams/waterheaterleakinstallation.pdf device.
Then the picture shows 1 * 4wire connector for a sensor and 2 * 2 pin output connectors. The description of these outputs is "normally open" and "normally closed", this (always) refers to clean contacts, that is the output is the contact side of a relay with nothing else connected.
You can treat these just as you would switches, so to interface to the RPi you would send 3V3 via a 10k resistor to the floodstop output and a GPIO input, the other pin of the floodstop output is connected to 0V. If you use the normally closed output then a logic 0 at the GPIO in indicates action, or if you use the normally open output then a logic 1 indicates action.
>)))'><'(((<
by drgeoff » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:22 pm
[quote="dliloch"I know nothing about electricity and I don't want to blow my raspberry pi .[/quote]
Frankly, I'd be more worried about you blowing yourself.
by aTao » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:26 pm
The system does not provide a way for the RPI to control the valve.
>)))'><'(((<
by aTao » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:28 pm
drgeoff wrote:
dliloch wrote:I know nothing about electricity and I don't want to blow my raspberry pi .

Frankly, I'd be more worried about you blowing yourself.

It runs from 4 C cells, you really have to work hard to blow yourself up with that!.
>)))'><'(((<
by dliloch » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:22 pm
aTao wrote:The system does not provide a way for the RPI to control the valve.

this is exactly what I have .. the rpi can close it but not open it .. but what you said previously
about the 10k resistor and the gpio pins is still good correct?
thanks.. I just need to shut off since I want to use this as sort of a water circuit breaker ..
hopefully I can get information off the water meter for the usage portion ..
by dliloch » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:48 pm
ok.. so this is how I solved it..
SainSmart 2-Channel 5V Relay Module for Arduino DSP AVR PIC ARM from amazon
cost me $7 and I can use the 5v gpio to power it and the 3.3 gpio to switch it...
not knowing electrical circuits this seems the safest and cheapest way ..
by dliloch » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:20 am
got the relay board but after reading all the posts on this subject I thought it would be prudent
to use a npn transistor and a 10k resistor on the base going to my gpio 17 pin. with that done I
am able to switch the relay and therefore trigger my floodstop to close. I could also wire the relay to the close / open switch .. what I need next is a way of getting daily usage off my water meter so that
I can close it if I am using too much .. i live in cleveland approx. 5 miles from l. erie .. but due to the crumbling infrastructure here water is getting as expensive as if I lived in arizona!
again thanks for comments .. I learned a lot and did not destroy my pi! :-)
I was going to put a picture of the board but limit is 64k so I guess I have to put a link up ..