Restroring WIFi drivers

3 posts
by Grumpy Mike » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:06 pm
After a very bad experience with rpi-update, I think it should be called rip-update I am trying to put my system back together.
I have another SD card and have put the Debian6 distro on it. Repartitioned it, added the sound fix, set the time zone and copied my files from the non booting SD card.

Now I want to reinstall the Wi-Fi drivers I had. Can I do this from my original SD card?
Otherwise I will have to get a wired access to the internet and that is very difficult for me.
Thanks
by dom » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:42 pm
I really would recommend the Wheezy image:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1435

a lot of the set up is autoomatic (like repartitioning, enabling audio, setting locale). It even has support for some wifi drivers built in.

(is yours supported by linux kernel directly, or does it require building modules from source code?)
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by Grumpy Mike » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:51 pm
dom wrote:I really would recommend the Wheezy image:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1435

I bought the Pi to do things with not to play the game of installing stuff. It looks like the whole thing is very much not ready for anyone to do anything serious with it. How on earth this will attract kids into an interest in computing I don't know. Every problem has the same solution, don't fix it but try this new stuff. Spend and another few days downloading and configuring stuff. Then you have swapped the problems you have now for a whole lot of new ones and by then there will be something else new to try.

It is a sort of collective attention deficit syndrome.

It is like wow that code you are trying to get to run is so old it's over six hours since it was released it is so totally obsolete.

Sorry dom I know you are trying to help, but it looks like not many people on this forum have much of an idea of what is going on.