Kingston 16Gig class 4 boot issues

6 posts
by IDE » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:19 am
Kingston 16GB SDHC Class 4 (SD4/16GB) is mentionned to be compatible in the wiki.

It does boot sometimes, most of the time it does not.

Tested on two model B boards.

It reboots right after it says it's loading the /dev filesystem.

Has anyone bought these SD cards and getting same issue?
by Malvineous » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:40 am
I bought a Kingston 16GB Class 6, which worked initially, but then started having problems. It turns out it was a fake (only ~4GB), so can you check to see if it's a fake or not? (some advice on this site.) Even if it's 16GB, if it's not a Kingston then of course you can't go by the listing on the wiki.
by IDE » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:12 am
Hi there! Yes it is a genuine card from Kingston. I actually bought two of them lol.

I bought a Sandisk 4gig SDSDB-004GS-B35S, lets see if this one will work.

EDIT: I use the debian6-19-04-2012 image.

2nd EDIT: I just installed debian6-19-04-2012 onto the 4gig Sandisk mentioned and it does not work. It reboots at the same point.

Both RP boards I have does the same thing.

I'd be VERY interested to know if there is *anyone* who can use these two specific SD cards over the Debian Squeeze image.
by Malvineous » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:07 am
A bad SD card shouldn't cause a reboot, it will at worst cause a kernel panic (unless Debian is set to immediately reboot after a kernel panic?)

You can test this by pulling out the SD card while the Pi is booting, and see what sort of error you get. A reboot sounds like it could be a power supply problem. The Pi starts using more power as it boots up, so it may get to a point where your power supply and cable can't deliver enough power, and it browns out and resets itself.
by geffers » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:10 am
Malvineous wrote:I bought a Kingston 16GB Class 6, which worked initially, but then started having problems. It turns out it was a fake (only ~4GB), so can you check to see if it's a fake or not? (some advice on this site.) Even if it's 16GB, if it's not a Kingston then of course you can't go by the listing on the wiki.

How did you find out it was 4GB - the DD recommended copy method ends up resizing the donar card.

Geffers
by Malvineous » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:17 am
@Geffers: the SD card isn't resized, it's just the partitions only occupy the first few GB. This leaves the rest of the space as unallocated. You can run fdisk to create more partitions in the unused space. I intended to use up the rest of the space by creating a 14GB partition to mount as /home, so I could store large files in my home directory. When I formatted this new partition, it refused to mount saying it was corrupted, and that's what led to my investigation.