Another SD card issue?

7 posts
by devlin » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:50 pm
Greetings.

I've been at this now for 2 days, googled various bits and pieces several hundred times and not really sure where to go from here.

The issue:
Using my Kingston 4GB MicroSD HC (class 4) (exists in verified list) - I simply can't get Raspbmc, OpenELEC or Debian "Wheesy" images to work. They all get stuck prior to actual booting with the OK-light flashing 3 times before a pause (indicating a loader.bin not being able to be found).

The card works well in Windows, I can see the files present, and I've tried replacing some of them with the most up-to-date official ones from Git - same result.

Bad SD card you say? Maybe, but the latest Debian Squeeze works perfectly every time using the same approach as the others. Wheesy does not work but end up the same way as the others.

Tried this using both a laptop reader and an USB-reader from windows 7. (formatting with the HP tool and using win32diskimager to write the img-files.)

Is it a card issue? Full-size-adapter issue? (in both cases - why do the debian squeeze one work every single time?) or what could it possibly be?

Whilst the debian build is of most use, it would be nice to at least be able to try out others - getting past the flashes and into an OS. (f.e. check if the DWA-140 (rev. B3) work in Wheesy).

Same issue happens with nothing attached but the power supply (1200 mA)

Please, any suggestions would be welcome.
by IDE » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:15 am
Same SD card does not work for me as well. :|

I have two model B boards.

I am trying flashnul instead of Win32DiskImager to see if it will make a difference.
by devlin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:48 am
Nice. Keep us updated how it turns out.

What I find odd is that the squeeze image works great without issues.

(yes. Ive tried different images fir the others with no luck on either)

Alyways the 3 flashes. pause. 3 flashes. repeat ad infinitum.
by dom » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:14 am
If Squeeze works and Wheezy doesn't then it would be interesting to report if Squeeze then rpi-update works:
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... g_firmware

That should determine if one of the firmware updates has broken it.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by devlin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:21 am
I'll give that a try tonight.
by devlin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:40 pm
Greetings.

So I tried running rpi-update, and after some tinkering (ca-certificates, git etc) I got it to upgrade, and it even survived a reboot.

So, what are the possibilities here?

Raspbmc/OpenELEC doesn't work with my particular card?

Serious bad luck getting shoddy IMG-downloads over and over and over again? (inbetween cache clearing).
by dom » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:48 pm
Well, if a firmware updated Squeeze still works, then it's not the obvious problem (a change to sdcard driver in kernel broke things).

I'd try again with wheezy image. Write the image.
Copy bootcode.bin, loader.bin, and start.elf from github onto your card. Then try running it.

Raspbmc/openelec may have older kernels/firmware, depending on where you got them from, so concentrate on Wheezy first.