No power to keyboard

40 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by spadge_2356 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:47 pm
Hi All,

I hope someone can help, I'm getting a bit frustrated. Got my raspberry pi a week or two ago and decided to set it up last night, downloaded the debian6 image from the raspberry pi website, wrote .img file to 4gb Sandisk SD card via my Ubuntu PC and seems to boot up fine.

However when it asks for username and password I can't seem to type anything! There doesnt seem to be any power to the keyboard whatsoever. It is a generic Dell USB keyboard, with no bells or whistles on, and same seems to go for the generic microsoft optical mouse too (even though I'm still at the terminal still, there is no light coming from the mouse!)

So I reflashed the SD card (incase I made some sort of mistake) and wrote the same .img file again but that didnt fix the problem either. Sometimes I can type one character before it fails. I also tried flashing with the Arch linux image to see if that made a difference. same problem again.

I have been using linux for the last 3 years but am new to the raspberry pi, can anyone please help?
I'm still a Linux amateur, though I've been tinkering for the last 3 years. I use these forums for help, Please be patient if I ask a 'stupid' question. we all start with learning the basics first. Thank You :-)
by itimpi » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:49 pm
The Pi cannot supply enough power for any keyboard which includes a USB hub.
by spadge_2356 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:51 pm
Thanks for your reply. I am using a 5V 1A power supply, I read that this was sufficient? Does this mean I need a better power supply?
I'm still a Linux amateur, though I've been tinkering for the last 3 years. I use these forums for help, Please be patient if I ask a 'stupid' question. we all start with learning the basics first. Thank You :-)
by itimpi » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:53 pm
No - You power adapter sounds fine for the Pi itself. The problem is that the USB ports on the Pi are limited to 140 mV. You need to either use a keyboard that does not need more power than that, or connect it via a powered hub.
by spadge_2356 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:57 pm
itimpi wrote:No - the problem is that the USB ports on the Pi are limited to 140 mV. You need to either use a keyboard that does not need more power than that, or connect it via a powered hub.

Ok I follow now. Can you either recommend a keyboard that does not require a hub or a powered hub that will facilitate my existing keyboards?
by spadge_2356 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:02 pm
Also. I'm not sure if this is worth mentioning but I have tried two sets of wireless keyboard/mouse sets, none of which work either. Yet I've seen people on youtube using these sort of wireless keyboards?

EDIT: I've just checked the monitor my RPI is linked to and its just given me a kernel panic message.
by spadge_2356 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:11 pm
I don't think it's a power issue. On the bottom of the keyboard it says 5V 75mA, so it should be adequet? I got a kernel panic message earlier too.

Any other ideas?
by itimpi » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:16 pm
spadge_2356 wrote:I don't think it's a power issue. On the bottom of the keyboard it says 5V 75mA, so it should be adequet? I got a kernel panic message earlier too.

Any other ideas?

You said the keyboard had a USB hub? If that is the case I would definitely expect it to draw more power than the Pi supplies. The Pi cannot power another USB hub.

Having said that there are keyboards which seem to cause problems. Have you checked yours against the list of known good/bad keyboards at http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#USB_Keyboards
by spadge_2356 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:37 pm
The dell keyboard is RT7D50, I'm sure it doesn't have a USB hub. but it isnt listed in any lists

I've read the list of working keyboards and I possess the "Logitech EX100 Cordless Desktop, wireless keyboard and mouse" which also doesnt work.

Could this be a software error? Sorry to be a pain!
by Bigally » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:47 pm
Others are having the same problem it is not a power supply problem please read viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8387
The most recent batch of Pis or at least some of them, seem to have a problem with the USB ports which may be linked to poor soldering on X1. No number of powered hubs seem to solve it, I know I've tried and swapped peripherals with a known working Pi.
by spadge_2356 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:57 pm
Bigally wrote:Others are having the same problem it is not a power supply problem please read viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8387
The most recent batch of Pis or at least some of them, seem to have a problem with the USB ports which may be linked to poor soldering on X1. No number of powered hubs seem to solve it, I know I've tried and swapped peripherals with a known working Pi.

This is a quote from the link to the thread above from adrian.oconnor "When arch boots, it shows an error about device eth0 not being found." I too get this problem. I haven't broke out the multimeter yet to test the board but I'm afraid that I might not have to at this point! I really hope I don't have to send this back to RS!

However, I flashed my SD card with Arch just to see and it does type intermittently. The keystrokes aren't always recognised first time so it took multiple keystrokes on the same keys to simply type "root". So something is getting through, but no such luck with the debian .img
by spadge_2356 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:17 pm
I think I am going to have to return the RPi to RS components. I am filling out the form as we speak :(
by the_mike » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:12 am
I have a strange problem with my keyboard too. I plugged in the keyboard and booted up and everything worked like a charm. Then a shut down the Pi and added a mouse and booted up again. Since this action the keyboard does not work any more, even when a dont plug in the mouse.

I measured the voltage at the USB port and its around 4.9V (even with connected keyboard), so where might be the problem?
by Steep » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:25 am
Measure again but this time across TP1 and TP2 not at the usb port, see if you get a different reading.
by spadge_2356 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:16 pm
Hi everyone,

Got my replacement raspberry pi today only to find that it has the SAME problem! I'm guessing its not faulty soldering like Bigally suggested above. The kernel panic message still occasionally comes up.

I've already established that the mouse and the keyboard draw less than 140mA, I'm stuck at terminal since I can't type to login but shouldn't the optical mouse at least light up?

Perhaps I should try with a powered USB hub? Anyone have any thoughts, surely I don't have another faulty Raspberry Pi do I?

Kind Regards,
SPADGE_2356
by spadge_2356 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:28 am
BUMP! Anyone got any advice please?
by RaTTuS » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:47 am
1) use a powered USB hub
2) use a good powered USB hub
3) use a powered USB hub
the hub can be used to power the RPi from a USB-micro USB adapter
failing that
use the latest raspbian image and ssh into the RPi.

oh did I forget to mention
use a powered USB HUB
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
by damianoloan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:37 pm
I've had my Pi for a week now and I'm still having the same problem with 'dead' keyboard. I get as far as Rasp-config.

My keyboard is a Rapoo e9070. It's not too far from the 9080 on the verified peripherals list, and has its own battery power. It's wirelessly connected to a powered Belkin hub (5V, 2.6A), which is model number F5U305zhBRN. I've also tried the Rapoo with two unpowered hubs, no success. I've tried a Chinese keyboard, a Xiao Dai Shu DS 9818, with the powered supply but no success. I really don't know that it's a simple power supply problem - grateful for any suggestions you may have.
by Chinook » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:50 pm
Just booted for the first time. At the login prompt I can type pi (and any thing else I want to) but at the password prompt I cannot type anything.
by obarthelemy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:42 pm
contrary to what windows does, Linux does not display anything, not even ***** when you're typing a password. type your password then enter, it works ^^
by Chinook » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:32 am
obarthelemy wrote:contrary to what windows does, Linux does not display anything, not even ***** when you're typing a password. type your password then enter, it works ^^

Dead right! Many thanks : :D
by spadge_2356 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:06 am
I didn't think that I needed a powered USB hub since the keyboard only draws 75mA! It should work without one.

Anyway at this point I may as well give it a try, bought this hub off ebay

I'll give it a go and post back if it sorts everything out.
by El_Presidente » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:19 am
spadge_2356 wrote:bought this hub off ebay

This is a very generic Chinese hub, low quality and unknown compliance with USB standards. I have one just like it and it's a complete non-starter with my setup. Came with a 1A PSU that is as light as a feather but again of obvious low quality.

Can't see it working for you, but you never know. I'll look out for your reply!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never trust a man, who when left alone with a tea cosey, doesn't try it on.
by RaTTuS » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:27 am
El_Presidente wrote:
spadge_2356 wrote:bought this hub off ebay

This is a very generic Chinese hub, low quality and unknown compliance with USB standards. I have one just like it and it's a complete non-starter with my setup. Came with a 1A PSU that is as light as a feather but again of obvious low quality.

Can't see it working for you, but you never know. I'll look out for your reply!

I have several of those - came with 2A PSU - which work fine for me ...
so it's a very YMMV part
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
by El_Presidente » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:18 am
Seems like the PS they get supplied with may be a significant factor then. Mine was from my local Scan store in UK, but the components in the box are an almost exact replica of those in the pic from spadge_2356.

Maybe he can post details of the hub and PS when he gets it, as well as the obvious pass/fail. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never trust a man, who when left alone with a tea cosey, doesn't try it on.