debian zip file


28 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by KB3PHL » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:02 am
Does anyone know where I can get the debian6-19-04-2012.zip file that will unzip? I've tried Winzip & 7-zip on the file that I downloaded & have'nt had any luck.

Joe KB3PHL
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:09 am
by ghans » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:04 am
So , please post error messages .
What extension does the downloaded file have (the part of the filename after the dot).
If you cannot see it , right-click on it , select Properties and report whatever is mentiond under Filetype.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
Posts: 4591
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Germany
by KB3PHL » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:07 pm
ghans wrote:So , please post error messages .
What extension does the downloaded file have (the part of the filename after the dot).
If you cannot see it , right-click on it , select Properties and report whatever is mentiond under Filetype.

ghans

The file was in my previous post it's debian6-19-04-2012.zip so obviously the extension is dot zip
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:09 am
by leon_heller » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:10 pm
I used that file and didn't have any problems opening it and extracting the file with WinRAR.
Leon Heller
G1HSM
User avatar
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:10 pm
by grumpyoldgit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:15 pm
A bit obvious but I would download it again. The page is

http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

though most people seem to be going for Wheezy now. It is technically a beta but a number of issues in Squeeze have been resolved and appears very stable.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1435
User avatar
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm
by nick.mccloud » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:21 pm
KB3PHL wrote:The file was in my previous post it's debian6-19-04-2012.zip so obviously the extension is dot zip


And the error message?
User avatar
Posts: 795
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:18 pm
by KB3PHL » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:30 pm
nick.mccloud wrote:
KB3PHL wrote:The file was in my previous post it's debian6-19-04-2012.zip so obviously the extension is dot zip


And the error message?

The error message that comes up when I try to unzip it is: cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:09 am
by grumpyoldgit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:33 pm
KB3PHL wrote:
nick.mccloud wrote:
KB3PHL wrote:The file was in my previous post it's debian6-19-04-2012.zip so obviously the extension is dot zip


And the error message?

The error message that comes up when I try to unzip it is: cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive


There's your answer then!
User avatar
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm
by KB3PHL » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:41 pm
grumpyoldgit wrote:A bit obvious but I would download it again. The page is

http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

though most people seem to be going for Wheezy now. It is technically a beta but a number of issues in Squeeze have been resolved and appears very stable.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1435

I have downloaded debian zip file several times & even tried a different unzip program but still had no luck so maybe I'll try the Wheezy file you suggested.
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:09 am
by grumpyoldgit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:47 pm
This file has been download thousands of times now and I don't recall anyone having difficulty with the zip file.
You might want to think about doing some housekeeping on your PC; deleting caches, temp files, etc.
If the first one got corrupted you might just be overwriting it and repeating the same problem.
How up to date is your antivirus checker?
User avatar
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm
by leon_heller » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:49 pm
I tried Wheezy, and it isn't any better than Debian 19-04-12. It just stops after a screenfull is displayed with

more>

The keyboard doesn't do anything. I don't get the kernel panic, though.

What is it waiting for?
Leon Heller
G1HSM
User avatar
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:10 pm
by grumpyoldgit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:55 pm
leon_heller wrote:I tried Wheezy, and it isn't any better than Debian 19-04-12. It just stops after a screenfull is displayed with

kbd>

The keyboard doesn't do anything. I don't get the kernel panic, though.

What is it waiting for?


I can't see that you have made any other comments on her so am not entirely sure what your problems have been. A good starting point is always power. If you unplug network, keyboard and mouse, then restart, does the screen get any further?
User avatar
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm
by leon_heller » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:09 pm
I only have the keyboard connected.

I've posted to another thread about the problems I have with this keyboard - I get a kernel panic with the Debian image.

With the keyboard unplugged I get a lot further than with the old Debian - I get the Raspi-config screen.

It won't even start to boot with the mouse plugged in.
Leon Heller
G1HSM
User avatar
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:10 pm
by grumpyoldgit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:21 pm
To me this is likely to be a power issue.
Can you outline how you are powering the Pi?
User avatar
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm
by leon_heller » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:33 pm
With one of the RS power supplies sold for use with the system. The keyboard only takes 50 mA.

I've got a Trust ClassicLine keyboard coming tomorrow, it is one of the keyboards that is supposed to work properly.
Leon Heller
G1HSM
User avatar
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:10 pm
by grumpyoldgit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:37 pm
leon_heller wrote:With one of the RS power supplies sold for use with the system. The keyboard only takes 50 mA.

I've got a Trust ClassicLine keyboard coming tomorrow, it is one of the keyboards that is supposed to work properly.


That stuffs my theory then!
Just to indulge my curiosity though, what does the label on the plug say?
Also, are you able to put a mutimeter across TP1 and TP2?
User avatar
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm
by KB3PHL » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:41 pm
grumpyoldgit wrote:This file has been download thousands of times now and I don't recall anyone having difficulty with the zip file.
You might want to think about doing some housekeeping on your PC; deleting caches, temp files, etc.
If the first one got corrupted you might just be overwriting it and repeating the same problem.
How up to date is your antivirus checker?


I have seen other posts where other people have had problems unzipping this debian squeeze file. My antivirus software IS up to date & I always deleted any previous downloads of this file so I'm not just overwriting an old one.
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:09 am
by leon_heller » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:46 pm
grumpyoldgit wrote:
leon_heller wrote:With one of the RS power supplies sold for use with the system. The keyboard only takes 50 mA.

I've got a Trust ClassicLine keyboard coming tomorrow, it is one of the keyboards that is supposed to work properly.


That stuffs my theory then!
Just to indulge my curiosity though, what does the label on the plug say?
Also, are you able to put a mutimeter across TP1 and TP2?


5V and 1200 mA, which is more than enough.

There is 4.9V across TP1/TP2.
Leon Heller
G1HSM
User avatar
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:10 pm
by grumpyoldgit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:52 pm
KB3PHL wrote:
grumpyoldgit wrote:This file has been download thousands of times now and I don't recall anyone having difficulty with the zip file.
You might want to think about doing some housekeeping on your PC; deleting caches, temp files, etc.
If the first one got corrupted you might just be overwriting it and repeating the same problem.
How up to date is your antivirus checker?


I have seen other posts where other people have had problems unzipping this debian squeeze file. My antivirus software IS up to date & I always deleted any previous downloads of this file so I'm not just overwriting an old one.


Well, my suggestions are:-

If you did a direct download try torrent.
If you downloaded by torrent try direct
Try Wheezy
Try downloading/unzipping on a different PC.

I think that just about covers all the bases.
User avatar
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm
by grumpyoldgit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:54 pm
leon_heller wrote:
grumpyoldgit wrote:
leon_heller wrote:With one of the RS power supplies sold for use with the system. The keyboard only takes 50 mA.

I've got a Trust ClassicLine keyboard coming tomorrow, it is one of the keyboards that is supposed to work properly.


That stuffs my theory then!
Just to indulge my curiosity though, what does the label on the plug say?
Also, are you able to put a mutimeter across TP1 and TP2?


5V and 1200 mA, which is more than enough.

There is 4.9V across TP1/TP2.


It all looks tickety boo to me then.
Best try out that new keyboard then!
User avatar
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm
by KB3PHL » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:52 am
Well I've tried Winzip, 7-zip & Winrar & they're not able to recognize & unzip a dot img file. I basically get the same error message from them that says they are not a valid archive. So I guess I'll have to rely on buying preloaded SD cards to use my Raspberry Pi. Unless somebody knows how I can get my unzip programs to work on these files. THIS REALLY SUCKS!

Joe KB3PHL
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:09 am
by itimpi » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:18 am
Your problem almost certainly means that you are continuallly getting the same (bad) cached copy of the ZIP file. Sometimes this can be fixed by clearing your browser cache and trying again. If you have access to a different PC then you can try there. However an alternative that is much more likely to work for you is download the file via a torrent (if on Windows I would recommend uTorrent as the software to use for this).
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:44 am
Location: Potters Bar, United Kingdom
by KB3PHL » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:51 am
Well I give up, evidently I must be a complete moron because I've tried everything from clearing my browser cache to using Winzip, Winrar, 7-zip & utorrent. I still can't unzip the dot img files. I never thought that downloading & unzipping an img file to load onto an SD card would be such a pain in the butt. I think I'll just list my Raspberry Pi on ebay & say the heck with it!

TOTALY DISCUSSED
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:09 am
by grumpyoldgit » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:01 am
I'm sorry that you have fallen at the first hurdle but it does seem to be that the issue is somewhere on your PC. If all the suggestions are not working for you the alternative, as mentioned above, is to download and unzip the file from a different PC. If there was an intrinsic problem with the download itself there would be hundreds of identical queries being raised. That there is not indicates that there must be an issue restricted to your PC. The other suggestion was to try Wheezy.
User avatar
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:20 pm
by RaTTuS » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:03 am
you do not unzip the .img file
you apply that to your SD card
having got the .img you need to put that onto the SDcard
you unzip the .zip file to make a .img
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html <- ask smart Questions
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
User avatar
Posts: 5292
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK