Internet?

13 posts
by Fumbles » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:14 pm
Hello,

I keep getting a problem with the internet.

Unfortunately, I keep getting disconnected every time my mouse is plugged in! So far i've plugged in 3 mice and they have all lead to the internet disconnecting.

I have typed:

ping www.google.com
ctrl+c

at the start terminal which shows that I have a connection. After I type in startx, I lose my internet connection entirely.

I was wondering if there was a way around this.

Thankyou
by Chrisn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:41 pm
I have the similar problem, but I have noticed several articles aboul this viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6928&p=102488#p102488 is one of them and it suggests there is an issue with the USB drivers when you have a high speed and low speed device connected together, and if I read some of the posts correctly it infers the ethernet connector is attached like a USB device. But thats only my understanding, I am a newbie to Linux and I've only had my Pi for a few days and an struggling to do more that get it started.
by simonthepiman » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 pm
Hi Guys

I have noticed that the usb ports dont work correctly if the power supply is poor, this may not be relevent but its possible that the additional usb device drains power, could try connecting the mouse via a powered usb hub just in case.
http://www.simonthepiman.com/raspberry_power.php :geek:
Simon

http://www.simonthepiman.com (Beginners guides)
by Fumbles » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:47 am
I've bought a new power supply but it still hasn't solved the problem (the reason behind my absence).

I can now be sure that it isn't the power since I have the raspberry pi official power supply!

Since I want to plug my external hard drive into it at some point, i'll get the powered usb hub AND a new keyboard. My keyboard is one of those light-up ones and, even though i've turned the light off, it might have something to do with draining the power.

I'll report back in 2-3 days time with what happens. This is costing me far more than the original £21 I thought it would!
by Fumbles » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:59 am
Right, so I bought a 7 port powered usb hub and a new usb keyboard.

Unfortunately, I still have the same problem.

The pi will not connect to the internet if I have both my keyboard and mouse plugged in. If I unplug one of them, I can access the internet. However, at the startup terminal when I type "ping www.google.com" with both my mouse and keyboard plugged in, I get a response.

I now know that this isn't a power issue. This is something else entirely.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I'm considering asking RS components for either a refund or a replacement. This does depend on whether I will have the same problem with a different pi.

Also, has anyone else had this problem? I read a few other posts that people had, but they tend to trail off and end without any solutions.
by jamesh » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:19 pm
It's odd you can ping, because that implies the connection is actually working.

Try this. Ping a working website (e.g. www.bbc.co.uk). Note down the IP address.

Now in the browser, use the IP address, not the site name as the address. Does that work?
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September and October 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by grumpyoldgit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:20 pm
You haven't mentioned which distro you are using and whether it has been updated/upgraded.
by Fumbles » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:42 pm
I decided to use google.com (173.194.66.104).

The first time it worked! The second time (and all other times after that) failed. I think the first time was a fluke.

I'm using the debian squeeze distro. I haven't upgraded it yet. How do I do that?
(btw, sudo apt-get upgrade says I "0 packages to install").
by grumpyoldgit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:48 pm
Fumbles wrote:I decided to use google.com (173.194.66.104).

The first time it worked! The second time (and all other times after that) failed. I think the first time was a fluke.

I'm using the debian squeeze distro. I haven't upgraded it yet. How do I do that?
(btw, sudo apt-get upgrade says I "0 packages to install").

If you don't have a connection you aren't going to be able upgrade.

It might be an idea to image Wheezy, particularly if you have a spare card.
by Fumbles » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:22 pm
I have got a connection before I type in the startx command.

That was where I typed in "sudo apt-get upgrade" and was told I was up to date.

How do I install wheezy? Do I just download --> double click --> burn to SD card? I don't want any more surprises.
by grumpyoldgit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:29 pm
Fumbles wrote:I have got a connection before I type in the startx command.

How do I install wheezy? Do I just download --> double click --> burn to SD card? I don't want any more surprises.

I would point out that you can type that command with your nic completely unplugged and the Pi will happily tell you that you are up to date. It does not prove that you are connected at all.

What happens when you ping your router?
When you ping 8.8.8.8?
When you ping http://www.google.com?
by jamesh » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:13 pm
Fumbles wrote:I have got a connection before I type in the startx command.

See http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1435

Download the wheezy beta, and install on SD card as you did the original. It's a much better experience than Squeeze.
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September and October 2014.
by simonthepiman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:30 pm
Fumbles
I have a series of installation guides on my pages http://www.simonthepiman.com that may be of help. They have all been tested and work as written. :geek:
Simon

http://www.simonthepiman.com (Beginners guides)