USB redirector

71 posts   Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3
by checksix » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:28 am
Hi all hope you can help.

Im trying to install this program USB Redirector for Linux

http://www.incentivespro.com/downloads.html

running latest debian for raspberry

When tring to install i get the famus kernel error could somebody who knows linux help me so i could install this???
by Wendo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:41 am
I suspect before anyone will be able to help you you'll need to tell us what "the famous kernel error" actually is. Probably also exactly what version you downloaded since there are a number of arm options
by checksix » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:11 am
missing kernel headers and kernel sources. sorry forgot that.

i tried the arm and armb and arm5 was a no go!
by matias » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:51 pm
You might have more luck with this one: http://usbip.sourceforge.net/ - I've seen it used on an embedded linux IP KVM running on some kind of ARM processor.
by Wendo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:39 am
Without the kernel headers it won't matter which of the downloads you try. You need the kernel headers first. The version of the kernel headers you need depends upon the version of the kernel you are running.

Code: Select all
uname -a

will tell you that, and then we should be able to point you in the right direction
by checksix » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:26 am
Thanks Wendo

Here is my result of the uname command

Linux raspberrypi 3.1.9+ #125 PREEMPT Sun Jun 17 16:09:36 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux
by checksix » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:16 am
apt-get install make gcc linux-headers-`uname -r`

this command does not work either

could not find package
by cubii » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:33 pm
Hi i also want to install this usbredirector programm but cant get it to work. it would be nice if somebody has installed this programm or usbip correctly could provide some installation howto
by checksix » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:58 am
Nice to see im not the only one. now we can only hope that there is a real "guro" that can get it working for us NOOBS.
by cubii » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:17 pm
i found this how to for compiling the driver.:
http://www.incentivespro.com/usb-server-install.html

could somebody with more linux knowledge make this working on the raspi?

Thanks in advance
cubii
by cubii » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:04 pm
hi,
i tried it again with usbip:
After this how to, i tried to complie the drivers : http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-set-up ... n-lenny-p2

starting at the point "aptidude update"

but when doing "m-a a-i usbip-source" i get errors like: hostname: host or name not known

and with 22 % it stops with an error "make error 2"

what is wrong?
how can get the log file which is produced during this step, so i can post it here?

any help appreciated!
by secretagent » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:40 am
Here is how to get USBIP working on raspberry pi:
Note: I have only done this on the debian wheezy beta. May or may not work on anything else.

Compiling the drivers (if the official kernel enables the modules this step will not be necessary):
First, make sure you have updated to the latest kernel, modules, firmware, etc. Then:
sudo apt-get install git
git clone git://github.com/raspberrypi/linux.git kernel
cd kernel
wget https://raw.github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/master/extra/Module.symvers
zcat /proc/config.gz > .config

Then open .config with an editor and add this at the end:
CONFIG_USBIP_CORE=m
CONFIG_USBIP_VHCI_HCD=m
CONFIG_USBIP_HOST=m
CONFIG_USBIP_DEBUG=n

Then:
make oldconfig
make LOCALVERSION=+ modules_prepare
make SUBDIRS=drivers/staging/usbip
sudo make SUBDIRS=drivers/staging/usbip modules_install
sudo depmod -a

Then install usbip:
sudo apt-get install usbip

Then to load the host driver (for sharing usb devices):
sudo modprobe usbip-host

To list devices:
sudo usbip list -l

Note the busid on the device you want to share and then:
sudo usbip bind --busid <busid>

which should respond with:
bind device on busid <busid>: complete

Then on the client:
sudo modprobe vhci-hcd
usbip list --remote <pi ip>
sudo usbip attach --host <pi ip> --busid <busid>
lsusb

and you should see the device that is connected to the pi in the lsusb output on the client (and you should be able to use it).

Note that listing and/or attaching on the client may sometimes fail the first time in which case you may need to issue the bind command again on the pi.
by checksix » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:03 pm
Is there a windows reciver that can be used with USBIP?
by secretagent » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:08 pm
There is a windows client on their website: http://usbip.sourceforge.net/ although I have never used it.
by cubii » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:31 pm
@secretagent you are my hero!

Will try it a soon as i can !
Thanks!
by cubii » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:07 am
Hi,

I tried two times to install usbip,
but i get errors.

First, i have to say i dont know i f i have updated all files correctly. I used wheezy beta and used apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, also aptitude update and - upgrade and ussed the hexxeh updater for firmware ( http://hexxeh.net/?p=328117855 ).

This part:
make oldconfig
make LOCALVERSION=+ modules_prepare
make SUBDIRS=drivers/staging/usbip
sudo make SUBDIRS=drivers/staging/usbip modules_install
sudo depmod -a

gives me errors like:
make*** no target specified and similar errors.

and "sudo modprobe usbip-host"
gives me an Fatal error "Fatal: USBip-host not found)

I also cant fin the folder "kernel", where git should have made a clon of the kernel. Is this expected behaviour (for. Ex. folder kernel gets deletet after cloning or something?)

Some hints , please?
by cubii » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:55 am
So after many tries i found that i have to activate a swap file:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=128303#p128303

and now it installs correctly and binds the usb-device correctly.

Now the windows client makes problem,

i cant connect, because it doesnt find any device in the network....

Tried it with the version 1 and 2.....
by secretagent » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:18 pm
Sorry, missed the notification somehow. Yes, there are many things that will fail without a swap, so I've always had it enabled and forgot to mention it in the instructions.

I can't help with the windows client but if you want to make sure that the setup on the Pi is correct you could run a ubuntu live image in virtualbox and test attaching the device to it using the linux client instructions. If that works then the problem is most likely on the windows side.
by luin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:03 pm
hey guys can anyone please help me everything worked for me until sudo modprobe usbip-host it says FATAL: Module usbip-host not found. i already have swap activated i am using raspberian

thank you
by Halaali » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:20 pm
Hey,

I'm also having some trouble running usbip. everything runs smoothly up to the point where I'm supposed to run
sudo modprobe usbip-host

every time I try I get the following error message:
ERROR: could not insert 'usbip_host': Exec format error

I'm using rasbian with the newest kernel (3.2.27+) and I have done all the package upgrades available, meaning I've run apt-get update && upgrade.
by falumas » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:11 pm
I have installed the USBIP but the entire system hangs when I bind. I have to pull the power plug to restart.
by DungBeetle » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:29 pm
Having followed the instructions above I now have my Pi sharing both a Philips camera and a USB RS-232 port. I also have a working install of the windows client. Unfortunately, the client will not connect to the host and running usbipd --debug on the Pi gives a message of 'version mismatch: 262 273'.
A google search for this error provides a post which refers to an OpenWrt patch file but I am unsure as to whether or not this is applicable here. Downloading the patch file and attempting to patch with it results in a message to the effect that it cannot find the file to be patched. Having expended my meagre knowledge of linux I'd like to ask if anyone has any pointers. I have tried both versions of the windows client. Windows OS is 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Many thanks,
by DungBeetle » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:05 pm
After further research and some trial and error I have the Incentives Pro USB redirector working. I found that the package that worked for me was this one http://www.incentivespro.com/usb-redire ... abi.tar.gz Within the tarball there is a readme file that gives good guidance including the need to get the linux source and headers. An excellent guide for this was posted at viewtopic.php?p=179845&sid=282b01837ea4aa2be1cf5436f12f8158#p179845 The only problem I had was in the section which begins KSRC='pwd'. This did not work for me but using the pwd command and entering the symbolic link longhand did.
by geronymo80 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:03 pm
Hi,
I have a problem to create simlinks and so I have an error when I install usb redirector (Kernel sources or kernel headers directory not found. Please install the corresponding package first)
Can you help me ?

Thanks

DungBeetle wrote:After further research and some trial and error I have the Incentives Pro USB redirector working. I found that the package that worked for me was this one http://www.incentivespro.com/usb-redire ... abi.tar.gz Within the tarball there is a readme file that gives good guidance including the need to get the linux source and headers. An excellent guide for this was posted at viewtopic.php?p=179845&sid=282b01837ea4aa2be1cf5436f12f8158#p179845 The only problem I had was in the section which begins KSRC='pwd'. This did not work for me but using the pwd command and entering the symbolic link longhand did.
by DungBeetle » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:57 pm
geronymo80 wrote:Hi,
I have a problem to create simlinks and so I have an error when I install usb redirector (Kernel sources or kernel headers directory not found. Please install the corresponding package first)
Can you help me ?

If you can explain what your problem with simlinks is I'll do my best to help. As I said in an earlier post my linux knowledge is really quite meagre and I have undergone an incredibly steep learning curve largely helped by these forums. Did you work through the guide in this thread http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175850#p175850