No audio output when configured

8 posts
by BakaOsaka » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:33 am
Hello everyone,

I recieved my Pi today and got the basics working, SSH, web etc, however I'm having one problem.

I've tried to set up audio output through HDMI using the troubleshooting page on the Wiki, however when I try to play the audio it claims to be playing it, though I hear no audio from either the 3.5mm jack or HDMI. I've tried forcing it to HDMI mode, but still no audio.

Can anyone offer me any advice? I'm running Debian squeeze and all my packages are updated.

Thanks!
by EponymousCowherd » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:53 am
I have the self same issue.

Sound used to work, but now nothing out of either HDMI or analogue, though I do get a message saying the sound is being played after I modprobe the audio device.

The mixer behaves oddly, too. it seems to have only two levels, something like 35% and 100% and will only toggle between those levels whether I use the console or X alsa mixer.

I noticed that this started to occur after installing omxplayer (which doesn't work, either).

This is on Debian (squeeze) as supplied on SD by RS.
by EponymousCowherd » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:12 am
Further information:

I have installed and launched OpenELEC from another SD card. Sound is fine via headphone socket or HDMI, so this isn't a hardware fault.

Switch back to Debian and no sound at all even though I have done the following:-

hdmi_drive=2 in config.txt
sudo modprobe snd-bcm2835
sudo aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

It says its playing but I hear nothing.
by EponymousCowherd » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:29 am
More info:-

Just installed the latest Debian. Still no sound. However if I do

Code: Select all
cd /opt/vc/src/hello_pi/hello_audio
make
./hello_audio.bin 1

as described in The eLinux.org troubleshooting guide then I hear the sound.

I tried
sudo amixer cset numid=3 <n>

with n as 0, 1 and 2 before:
sudo aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

No sound each time.

I'm starting to get a bit annoyed by this now. It, obviously, isn't a hardware fault as the "hello_audio" sample code works (and everything is fine in OpenELEC).

Can anyone suggest anything else?
by EponymousCowherd » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:52 am
Nobody at all have any suggestions?
by dom » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:08 am
EponymousCowherd wrote:Nobody at all have any suggestions?

Have you trued the Wheezy image where ALSA driver is enabled by default:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1435
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by EponymousCowherd » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:59 pm
Hi,

Yes, I have tried Wheezy. I had hoped that it would work, but no such luck.

I have discovered that analogue audio does work in wheezy, but is hideously noisy, with loud "squawk" preceding everything played.

The music player installed as default in Debian doesn't work at all. Alsa Player does play, but if you try to drag its window around the sound breaks up and doesn't recover unless you close it and restart it.

The biggest disappointment is that sound does not work in Scratch. The kids were looking forward to it (and I was looking forward to them not squabbling over the laptop)

I guess its all down to the "alpha" status of the sound drivers....... Just have to be patient.
by gritz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:25 pm
EponymousCowherd wrote:Hi,

Yes, I have tried Wheezy. I had hoped that it would work, but no such luck.

I have discovered that analogue audio does work in wheezy, but is hideously noisy, with loud "squawk" preceding everything played.

The music player installed as default in Debian doesn't work at all. Alsa Player does play, but if you try to drag its window around the sound breaks up and doesn't recover unless you close it and restart it.

The biggest disappointment is that sound does not work in Scratch. The kids were looking forward to it (and I was looking forward to them not squabbling over the laptop)

I guess its all down to the "alpha" status of the sound drivers....... Just have to be patient.

It's being worked on! Have a look at http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8783 and see if the fixes help your situation.