Pi = busted, yay.

35 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by Broonie » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:14 pm
Switched off my raspberry pi yesterday, working fine with Ethernet, used with SSH access.

Switched it on today, to find it won't connect to the router now, no link lights on the pi (Just PWR and OK) or the router (Layer 1 problem)

Changed cable, still no fix, so took it upstairs to connect it via Ethernet to my PC, see if that worked, still no light, PC shows 'Network Cable Unplugged', no lights on pi.

Connected to the TV, starts up fine and gets to the login prompt, connected a keyboard, keyboard doesn't work either, and nor does my other keyboard, which both worked before.

Help?
by MrFrankly » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:51 pm
It seems to be a often mentioned problem on this forum.

From what I can figure the 25MHz crystal (X1) sometimes fails to function. Which in turn stops the the SMSC LAN9512 IC (the USB hub and Ethernet controller) from working as well.

Some people have resolved it by simply hooking up a clock generator at 25MHz, which magically kickstarts X1. Some people have re-soldered X1, which also made it work. Some people (me) cannot get it to work at all.
by Broonie » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:11 pm
MrFrankly wrote:It seems to be a often mentioned problem on this forum.

From what I can figure the 25MHz crystal (X1) sometimes fails to function. Which in turn stops the the SMSC LAN9512 IC (the USB hub and Ethernet controller) from working as well.

Some people have resolved it by simply hooking up a clock generator at 25MHz, which magically kickstarts X1. Some people have re-soldered X1, which also made it work. Some people (me) cannot get it to work at all.

Don't have soldering tools, or a clock generator. Looks like a return then?
by dom » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:42 pm
Could still be power supply. Might be marginal and it just worked yesterday. Can you try a different supply/cable?
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... r_problems
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by Lorian » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:50 pm
You could try sticking it in the fridge for a while then try it. I'd place it in a bag, preferrably the antistatic one it came in,
by Broonie » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:52 pm
dom wrote:Could still be power supply. Might be marginal and it just worked yesterday. Can you try a different supply/cable?

Tried a different power supply with different output (+150mA) with no joy.
by johnbeetem » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:52 pm
Broonie wrote:Switched off my raspberry pi yesterday, working fine with Ethernet, used with SSH access.

Switched it on today, to find it won't connect to the router now, no link lights on the pi (Just PWR and OK) or the router (Layer 1 problem)

As mentioned upstream, it could be X1. However, it could be other things as well, such as an iffy solder joint that survived two thermal cycles before failing. High-quality manufacturing usually includes "burn in" where the manufacturer runs the product for a long time through many thermal cycles to detect early solder joint and component failures. I didn't see anything like that in the manufacturing photos.

Since it worked flawlessly the first day -- I assume for a long time -- that suggests your power supply and cable are OK. It sounds like it's time to get a replacement -- think of it as helping to improve the manufacturing process.
by Broonie » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:56 pm
johnbeetem wrote:
Broonie wrote:Switched off my raspberry pi yesterday, working fine with Ethernet, used with SSH access.

As mentioned upstream, it could be X1. However, it could be other things as well, such as an iffy solder joint that survived two thermal cycles before failing. High-quality manufacturing usually includes "burn in" where the manufacturer runs the product for a long time through many thermal cycles to detect early solder joint and component failures. I didn't see anything like that in the manufacturing photos.

Since it worked flawlessly the first day -- I assume for a long time -- that suggests your power supply and cable are OK. It sounds like it's time to get a replacement -- think of it as helping to improve the manufacturing process.

Sure I contacted RS, but they said to call again Wednesday for these holidays and things for thats when the team is in, do I -need- to let them know I'm sending down a replacement, or attach a covering letter with a copy of the invoice and the Pi for a replacement?
by Broonie » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:56 pm
Lorian wrote:You could try sticking it in the fridge for a while then try it. I'd place it in a bag, preferrably the antistatic one it came in,

I'm not sure why, but I'm a bit reluctant for sticking in the fridge.
by funnel » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:55 pm
Happened to me today, but changing the power supply fixed it. Also works fine from a PC usb port without mouse an keyboard attached.
by johnbeetem » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:23 pm
Broonie wrote:Sure I contacted RS, but they said to call again Wednesday for these holidays and things for thats when the team is in, do I -need- to let them know I'm sending down a replacement, or attach a covering letter with a copy of the invoice and the Pi for a replacement?

It depends on the distributor, but usually when returning things like this you first need to get an RMA (Returned Merchandise Authorization?) by phone or e-mail so they know how to handle it.
by paaland » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:28 pm
It's also worth mentioning the the early Debian SD images had a bug that corrupted the SD-cards after running a while. If you are not running the latest firmware download and run rpi-update (https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update)
Dragon 32>BBC Model B>PC>PC>PC>PC>Raspberry PI (circle complete)
by jbeale » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:26 pm
Broonie wrote:
dom wrote:Could still be power supply. Might be marginal and it just worked yesterday. Can you try a different supply/cable?

Tried a different power supply with different output (+150mA) with no joy.

I just want to point out that a 5V supply rated for +150 mA is unlikely to work well on any Pi! Th R-Pi usually takes about 350-550 mA depending on what it's doing, and it is actually specified to take 700 mA, so don't try to use a 150 mA supply if you want it to work. Higher is ok too, a supply rated for 1 A or more is fine.
by scep » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:44 pm
Topic titles are meant to describe what the topic is about.

You might find, therefore, that more people look at your topic and subsequently are more inclined to try to help you if you don't call it things like: "Pi = busted, yay."
by Moonie » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:16 pm
Broonie wrote:Sure I contacted RS, but they said to call again Wednesday for these holidays and things for thats when the team is in, do I -need- to let them know I'm sending down a replacement, or attach a covering letter with a copy of the invoice and the Pi for a replacement?

With RS components you need to fill in the Pi returns form and enclose it with your Pi

The form you need is here......

http://authenticate.rsdelivers.com/stat ... turns.aspx
by Zarni » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:08 pm
Looks like mine is now doing the same as yours :cry:

I finally got it booted to XBMC and was watching movies from my NAS but this morning it would boot but no mouse, no keyboard, no network. No small amount of swearing !

Tired all the usual suspects, different installs, cards, power supplies but with a little help from a friend who has one I have found that an optical mouse should show it's LED on the bottom connected to the RPi without a card at all so it can't be any corrupt partition or driver.
I've left it for hours to see if it could be the polyfuse and let it reset but nothing.

Come Wednesday I'll be on the phone to Farnell about getting it swapped out.

Not overly pleased that issues like this seem so prevalent.

-= Zarni =-
by nick.mccloud » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:35 pm
Zarni wrote:Not overly pleased that issues like this seem so prevalent.

About 25,000 in the wild, two/three reports on here, not exactly what I'd call prevalent.
by itimpi » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:37 pm
nick.mccloud wrote:

About 25,000 in the wild, two/three reports on here, not exactly what I'd call prevalent.

I suspect is more like 50,000 by now :D
by Zarni » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:30 pm
itimpi wrote:
nick.mccloud wrote:

I suspect is more like 50,000 by now :D

True, but how many do you think have even been powered up yet?
If it is a suspect component then there will be more coming. This was only the fourth or fifth day I have had chance to play with mine and it still took most of that just trying to install a program without it crashing and needing a rebuild. Oddly installing XMBC was a lot simpler, my friend still hasn't got his to boot to XMBC correctly yet.

I hope you're right and I'm just seeing the negative right now as mine has failed.
by Broonie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:07 pm
Moonie wrote:

With RS components you need to fill in the Pi returns form and enclose it with your Pi

The form you need is here......

http://authenticate.rsdelivers.com/stat ... turns.aspx

Thanks, all packed and ready to be sent when the post office opens Wednesday!
by devon » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:46 pm
I brought my newly arrived Pi into work this morning to try it over lunch, and had the same problem. Read a few posts on here about it, and was going to wait until I got home this evening to try my hand at resoldering x1, but decided on a whim to just *lightly* flick x1 a few times, and so far seems to be working.. at least enough to get me through the day.
by jecxjo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:04 pm
devon wrote:decided on a whim to just *lightly* flick x1 a few times

You must have the unionized hamsters running your board's wheel...GET BACK TO WORK!!! :lol:
IRC (w/ SSL Support): jecxjo.mdns.org
Blog: http://jecxjo.motd.org/code
ProjectEuler Friend: 79556084281370_44d12dd95e92b1d9453aba2bdc94101b
by 24x7x365 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:20 pm
Hi. My recently delivery Pi has gone the same way. No USB, No ethernet.

After reading on here, I put mine in the freezer for a few hours - it worked fine for about 30 minutes after this, but now it has stopped working again. I suspect the same X1 issue. I have emailed RS, but no response yet. This is clearly quite a widespread manufacturing problem.

Any advice?
by mahjongg » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:16 am
Its not a "clearly widespread manufacturing problem".
And cooling it for a few hours does almost nothing for the crystal, so ist not indicative of a bad crystal, quite to the contrary, its more indicative you have a bad power-supply, or a F3 polyfuse that has been tripped once and is still not completely recovered.

My advice, try another power-supply, and/or another sd-card.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by jamesh » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:11 pm
24x7x365 wrote:Hi. My recently delivery Pi has gone the same way. No USB, No ethernet.

After reading on here, I put mine in the freezer for a few hours - it worked fine for about 30 minutes after this, but now it has stopped working again. I suspect the same X1 issue. I have emailed RS, but no response yet. This is clearly quite a widespread manufacturing problem.

Any advice?

I'm with Mahjongg - think I've seen about 10 individual posts on this subject, but lets say 20. I think there are more than 50k boards in the field now. Lets say only 75% have been started up - thats about 37k. So we have had 20 reports from 37k devices. At about 0.05% that's not a widespread problem.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.