Red LED on Faint Green LED

254 posts   Page 2 of 11   1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11
by carl_retrotext » Tue May 29, 2012 7:21 pm
Dormage wrote:After having checked the AC and changed a few SD cards i still can't get it working.
I folowed your guide and even tryed the trick with heating it up.
Nothing seems to work. I cannot tell where and whats wrong but it's defently a hardware problem.

I'll call Farnell tomorow, I hope i woun't have to wait too long for a replacement.

thanks for trying, It sounds like a problem with the board for sure, Farnell have been very good with me, I hope they are with your one too.
by zbuh » Tue May 29, 2012 7:27 pm
is there any direct contact of Farnell to report this problem?

If they identify it soon, maybe we can get a replacement ASAP
by Paul_L » Wed May 30, 2012 3:45 am
Yesterday after failing to boot my Raspi I have registered to this forum to find some troubleshooting . Since yesterday I have seen a boom of messages in troubleshooting section. In many topics there are the same description of non booting boards. Might be a faulty batch delivered in this week ? How we can be sure that is a Raspi problem and not a power supply or sd card issue. I don't want to make a RMA to get another board and have the same booting issue. We need help from an experienced user. Please help us.

I am using a ad card from the ok list and the voltages on different inboard supply looks good. Should I consider the RMA ?
by anthonyUK » Wed May 30, 2012 7:17 am
I would suggest to try the RasBMC image. It has the latest firmware and worked for me.
You will then at least be able to determine if your pi is faulty.
by zbuh » Wed May 30, 2012 7:23 am
I already tried all images available.

It's dead...

Whats the link for RMA ?

Thanks
by Tharg » Wed May 30, 2012 11:19 am
My replacement arrived just now. Boots up nicely with the same SD card and power supply using the RCA output to my TV. The CPU on the other one was definitely a lot hotter than it should have been.

My only USB keyboard isn't working though (damn it seems almost all my spares are PS2) so time to start new adventure. Also not yet tested HDMI. But just seeing that login prompt has made me pretty happy.
by guitar1 » Wed May 30, 2012 2:25 pm
i have the same problem, it works a few times, lets say about 8 bootings and now after changing the power supply (from PC to USB hub) it does not seem to work, not on the PC USB and not on the hub, with the same symptoms, bright red led (PWR) and dimmed green led (OK).

i waited for months and now .. it seems to be dead :cry:
by julian-w » Wed May 30, 2012 4:00 pm
I also have the same problem. My board arrives today from RS Components... :cry:
by Moonie » Wed May 30, 2012 5:33 pm
Same here!

Again, my board arrived today from RS components :evil:
by Moonie » Wed May 30, 2012 5:39 pm
Same here!

My board also arrived today from RS :evil:
by Darkness » Wed May 30, 2012 6:25 pm
Same issue here I think. This one arrived today from Farnell.
However, I already had one from RS Components which is working fine with my motorola charger of 500mA.

One thing I noticed, however I am not sure if it is related...
I took the SD card from the working board, inserted it in the new board which subsequently did not boot. After swapping the card back, the EXT4 partition from the debian image appeared to be corrupted. It could be due to a privious bad shotdown as well. Difficult to say.

I reformatted the SD with a fresh Debian image, RS board booting fine, farnell board is not. Will need to contact Farnell I guess.

Since I have 2 boards, I could compare a few things if necessary.
by zbuh » Wed May 30, 2012 6:28 pm
Some help please... how to get an RMA on Farnell?
by maara » Wed May 30, 2012 6:35 pm
Same problem here with a board from farnell... Three people I know have the same problem... :evil:
by guitar1 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:47 pm
well i got a solution for my situation (my rpi works a few times before the symptoms)

i only needed to use another sd card, but my first one is bricked now and it could not be formatted by any tool till now -.-
by KnightInd2000 » Wed May 30, 2012 7:09 pm
I'm having very similar problems.
Pi from Farnell arrived last week and I've only been able to boot it a few times and then when I do it only runs for a minute or two before the screen goes off. Tried 3 different power supplies and my Apple iphone charger gave the best results (backed by very good multi meter voltages). So then I tried 3 different SD cards but none helped.
I got really fed up with it and left it for a few days but luckily I had nicely packaged parcel from RS today!
And guess what? - Yep, boots first time, every time.

Thus I fear; RS Pi = Good; Farnell PI = Bad

Has everyone who's had this problem got a Farnell Pi?
by Mattylad » Wed May 30, 2012 7:11 pm
Araldite!!!

Not on a new board!
It should not produce a dry joint after a few insertion operations.

If someone adds Araldite to a new board they will totally void the warranty.
Do NOT do this.
by Darkness » Wed May 30, 2012 7:14 pm
KnightInd2000 wrote:Thus I fear; RS Pi = Good; Farnell PI = Bad

Has everyone who's had this problem got a Farnell Pi?

Apparently Moonie and julian-w got theirs from RS Components.

Could the fuse be causing this? Anyone knows which component on the board is the fuse?
by TrevorAppleton » Wed May 30, 2012 7:32 pm
I had a similar issue with the Red LED on and the Green LED Faint. However using a different power source fixed that issue.

However I am having the problem of my Raspi cutting out after a few minutes use. Without anything other than an HDMI lead, SD Card and Power Lead in after a few minutes the screen starts to flicker and then goes blank.

If I ssh into the unit the unit also dies after a few minutes, and stops responding, so its more than just an issue with the output to the screen.

I have checked the temperature of the components and they dont seem overly hot.

I was using Debian but I am just going to try Arch Linux to see if that resolves the problem, otherwise I might have to return the unit for a new one!
Check out my blog post for Raspberry Pi and Python tutorials.

http://trevorappleton.blogspot.co.uk/
by TrevorAppleton » Wed May 30, 2012 7:37 pm
I had a similar issue with the Red LED on and a dim Green LED. However this was resolved with changing the power supply.

I also have the issue of the unit locking up after a few minutes. The screen starts to flicker and then the unit goes dead. I have checked the heat of the components, but they are not overly warm. If I have left the unit off for a while it takes longer to get to this state, maybe a few minutes. If I have been using the unit it will take less than a minute for the fault to occur.

I dont have any peripherals connected at this point, not even a keyboard. Just a power lead, an SD card and a HDMI Card.

My unit was bought from Farnel and I have been running Debian. I am just about to try Arch Linux to see if that also has the same effect.

by bazza2000 » Wed May 30, 2012 7:38 pm
Ok just got my Pi today. Had a pre-prepared SD card (not on the list) plugged in, nothing!!

Luckily with my RS order I added a SD card from the list, re-imaged that one, plugged in and Bingo!!

I now have my Pi working fine.

For those having problem with nothing on the display, its probably an SD card issue, I literally got nothing not even a flicker from the TV display, nor any lights. But with a good SD card, everything sprung into life.

Hope this helps.
......getting there slowly at: http://raspberrypi-baz.blogspot.co.uk/
by Moonie » Wed May 30, 2012 9:21 pm
The soldering around the fuses on my board looks very poor Infact, the soldering quality on most of the boards components looks poor quality.

Got my returns form printed out and it will be on its way back to RS tomorrow for an exchange.
by DRY411S » Wed May 30, 2012 9:49 pm
Pi from Farnell today. Card from approved Wiki list. Blackberry 750ma 5V charger.

Won't boot, green pin prick LED. TV says "No connection" when Pi powered off, and "No signal" when it is powered on.

Do I need an RMA?
by Moonie » Wed May 30, 2012 9:51 pm
Sounds like the same problem i have and mine will be returned tomorrow
by TrevorAppleton » Thu May 31, 2012 5:46 am
Sorry about the double post earlier. My first posts, and I didn't realise I had to wait so long for a mod to approve the posts!

Anyway I started running arch linux last night, and the raspberry pi ran perfectly well. It was still going strong after 2 hours.

When using Debian it seemed to run ok to start with but I have a feeling it may have been when I first did apt-get update when all the problems started.

For me at least it seems as though the problem of cutting out / blank screen was down the Debian and more specifically once I had upgraded. So probably worth trying Arch Linux before sending the Raspberry Pis back.

by maara » Thu May 31, 2012 8:17 am
Bought a new SD card which is listed as working, tried 3 different power adapters (850 - 1200mAh), tried Raspbmc, Debian, Arch on 9 different SD cards but no luck...
The Pi is looking at me and flashing red as an idiot :-(
I must say that I am really disappointed because the waiting was tooooo long... :-(

It would be nice if we get an official announcement what is going on and why there are so many defective boards...