Red Light Only

9 posts
by TheTsar » Mon May 28, 2012 10:11 am
Had a Raspberry Pi from Farnell delivered last Friday.
Plugged in an SD card with the latest Debian image on it.
Connected a power supply.
Red power light only.
Tried 5 different power supplies. Finally got it to work using the USB output from a laptop.
Worked for around an hour and crashed.
Called Farnell and they sent a replacement which arrived this morning.
This one cannot get past the red power light stage.

Has anybody actually got one of these to work??
by stevepdp » Mon May 28, 2012 10:39 am
I suspect your problem may be more to do with the SD card you are using.

What is it? Is it listed on the wiki as a known working card? What was the error message when the Pi failed?

Please also detail exactly which power supplies you are trying, their power ratings and such and we may be able to help you.

If the card is listed as non-working, you may need to manually install the kernel and elfs from Hexxeh's updates, and then run the full updater program he provides if it successfully boots.

Try booting the Pi with the only the video and power, it could be a USB peripheral that's causing the boot failure.

Again, please provide us with more details.
I'm not a part of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, I'm just an enthusiastic fan.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by TheTsar » Mon May 28, 2012 10:57 am
SD card is 2GB SD Class 4 Ultra (15MB/s). It's on the Wiki (have actually tried 2 different cards).
Power supplies include
5V 1000mA from ebay (no name)
IPAD charger
Sony Ericsson EP800 5V 850mA
Samsung phone charger.

There was no crash message - everything was frozen.

Thanks.
by meltwater » Mon May 28, 2012 11:24 am
TheTsar wrote:SD card is 2GB SD Class 4 Ultra (15MB/s). It's on the Wiki (have actually tried 2 different cards).
Power supplies include
5V 1000mA from ebay (no name)
IPAD charger
Sony Ericsson EP800 5V 850mA
Samsung phone charger.

There was no crash message - everything was frozen.

Thanks.

Sounds like you are doing the right things to work out the problem.
- Make sure the image you are loading on to the SD card is valid by checking the SHA-1 values. Double check the partitions are correct by viewing in windows disk-management or gparted. Try writing the image with an external cardreader if you are using a built-in one.
- As above try without keyboard and mouse, they may be drawing too much power (perhaps try with powered USB hub). You may need to wait for the polyfuses to recover (a few hours), if this is the problem.
- Power supplies sound ok, are you using the same USB to micro USB cable? Some cause a voltage drop which would cause you problems (you can rule this out if you have a multimeter and are happy to probe TP2 (gnd)/TP1(5V), anything below 4.8V or so is getting low).
- Try using the analogue video out, just in case your HDMI connection isn't playing nicely.

Let us know what fixes your problem or if you still have one.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam
by TheTsar » Mon May 28, 2012 1:59 pm
Sounds like you are doing the right things to work out the problem.
- Make sure the image you are loading on to the SD card is valid by checking the SHA-1 values. Double check the partitions are correct by viewing in windows disk-management or gparted. Try writing the image with an external cardreader if you are using a built-in one.
- As above try without keyboard and mouse, they may be drawing too much power (perhaps try with powered USB hub). You may need to wait for the polyfuses to recover (a few hours), if this is the problem.
- Power supplies sound ok, are you using the same USB to micro USB cable? Some cause a voltage drop which would cause you problems (you can rule this out if you have a multimeter and are happy to probe TP2 (gnd)/TP1(5V), anything below 4.8V or so is getting low).
- Try using the analogue video out, just in case your HDMI connection isn't playing nicely.

Let us know what fixes your problem or if you still have one.

The checksum was correct. I also tried the Arch Linux ARM image - same result.
I tried without any peripherals connected - same result.
I have used 3 different USB to micro USB cables.
I can't try the analog video out - no suitable monitor.
And as the first Pi ran for an hour I assume the SD card is "ok". No multimeter and no external card reader available.
Really disappointed.
by TheTsar » Mon May 28, 2012 3:04 pm
Checksum was ok.
Went to PC World and bought an SD card reader and wrote the image using that.
Tried the Arch Linux image.
Have tried all combinations of peripherals connected/not connected.
Don't have an analog monitor to try.
About ready to give up.
by meltwater » Tue May 29, 2012 7:58 am
OK. Don't give up hope.

Here are some more things you can test.

The RPi will boot without any display or any peripherals connected, I often have it connected with just power and a LAN and remote connect to it. So try this:
1. Insert your SDCard (ensure it is firmly inserted, and the end is touching right up to the black holder). You should see springy the metal contacts are pressed together too.
2. Connect power and watch the lights. You should get a power light, and within the count of 10 the OK light should start flashing (you may even notice a very faint flash when you first plug in the power).

If that happens, then you are getting somewhere. If not, then it can only be the SDCard, the PSU/cable, or the RPi itself which is wrong.

Now if you have wired network, you may be able to remote connect to it. You'll have to follow the instructions on here (I can give additional help if needed):
http://myraspberrypiexperience.blogspot ... p-vnc.html
http://elinux.org/RPi_VNC_Server

I would suggest trying to connect using SSH first, as long as you have a wired network and you can look up the IP address on your router, you just need to rename boot_enable_ssh.rc to boot.rc on the SDCard. Then you can use SSH to connect.

If you can do that, then it seems like your RPi is working PSU and SDCard, which would suggest a bad HDMI cable or display problem. Let me know how you get on!

by TheTsar » Tue May 29, 2012 10:19 am
I found an SD card in an old camera and tried it.
It works.
This is an old Transcend 8GB class 6 card.
The other cards were 2GB SD Class 4 Ultra (15MB/s) - on the Wiki but not working.

Thanks to all for the help.
by meltwater » Tue May 29, 2012 10:32 am
TheTsar wrote:I found an SD card in an old camera and tried it.
It works.
This is an old Transcend 8GB class 6 card.
The other cards were 2GB SD Class 4 Ultra (15MB/s) - on the Wiki but not working.

Thanks to all for the help.

Fair enough. Unfortunately SDCards are difficult to identify, and vary from batch to batch (and within the same batch sometimes).

Glad you got it sorted in the end.