New Pi Raspbian - Root filesystem has insufficient space...

13 posts
by MileHighPi » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:17 pm
Noob here having trouble setting up new Pi purchased on Amazon - Model B (512 MB / Revision 2). Using new 4 GB SD card that was included with the kit. Formatted the card using SDFormatter.app for Mac without issue. Downloaded NOOBS 3.3 and followed the Quick Start instructions. So far so good. Trying to install the Raspbian OS. Install seems to go well, get to the install ok screen, but during boot up I get a warning message:

[warn] Root filesystem has insufficient free space; mounting tmpfs on /tmp ... (warning)

Then after a couple minutes screen goes blank, then flashing _ cursor, and that's all folks. (Still flashing after 20+ minutes.)

Have tried re-doing the whole process - reformat SD using SDFormatter.app, re-downloaded NOOBS 3.3 and re-install of Raspbian, but no joy.

Tried searching the forum for similar issues but didn't see anything quite the same. Will try a different card and maybe a different OS install but any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
MHP
by DougieLawson » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:06 am
Stick the card back in windows. Remove the stuff in F:\os\ that you don't want to use (Arch, Pidora, RISC_OS, etc.)

Reboot, while holding the [SHIFT] key to get back to the installer menu.
Hacker on ZX80, Microtan65, Raspberry Pis and Arduinos
Unemployed mainframe database troubleshooter
RPi owner since 2012.
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Gaffer tape is "The Force", it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the Universe together.
by MileHighPi » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:57 am
Thanks for the help. I tried deleting a few of the OS's (Arch, RaspBMC, Pidora) and then rebooting, but oddly ended up with the same 'insufficient space' error, even after going to the installer menu and re-installing Raspbian.

However, I also had a 16 GB card available and followed the same Quick Start procedures using NOOBS 3.3 and Raspbian OS install, and it worked. All up and running Raspbian on the 16 GB card. I suspect there may be a hardware issue with the 4 GB card but don't know for certain. Nonetheless, I'm moving forward using the larger card.

Thanks again.
MHP

DougieLawson wrote:Stick the card back in windows. Remove the stuff in F:\os\ that you don't want to use (Arch, Pidora, RISC_OS, etc.)

by Richard-TX » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:19 am
Raspian needs at least a 4 gig card. I think that if NOOBS is on the card, it takes away from that requisite 4 gig. Burn just raspian onto the 4 gig card and it should work fine.
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip
by AndrewS » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:00 pm
Can you please try again with the latest NOOBS 1.3.4 on your 4GB card and let us know if you're getting the same issue?
by rPioneer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:52 am
I may be experiencing the same problem - once I enter username and password, then type
Code: Select all
startx
the screen goes blank for 2/3 mins then it comes up with server "cannot connect" error messages.
>> general fiddler. especially in things i shouldn't.
by gsh » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:05 am
The solution was nearly right, you can't just delete the OS directory and reinstall again because it doesn't resize the FAT32 partition on the next occasion....

Best thing to do is to remove the files from the copy on your computer and then copy the files across to the SD card... when it starts up it will resize the first partition again leaving you with more space

Either that or use NOOBS lite

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by fluxcapacitor » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:44 pm
Sadly I wish I had read this when I first got my Pi :( I think the multiple failure of the lack of disk space during the first installation and later upgrades and firmware upgrades were some major attributing factors to file corruption on a SanDisk 4GB class 4 card. Now RPi ships with a sexy 8GB--no worries! :)

This is like the second tip from you, that I've found, that I think should belong to a hard printed notebook of RPi users! Yep! ;)

DougieLawson wrote:Stick the card back in windows. Remove the stuff in F:\os\ that you don't want to use (Arch, Pidora, RISC_OS, etc.)

by Richard-TX » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:55 pm
There is another option and that is to use a version of Wheezy that does not need so much sd card space.

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... spbian.zip should work with a 4 gig card.
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip
by frankv » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:13 am
I've run into the same problem, but with a 16GB SD card. So I think it's nothing to do with space on the card itself.

Note for new users with only RCA (no HDMI)... pressing 3 or 4 won't necessarily work! Fortunately, I managed to get access to HDMI.

When my Pi boots, it puts up a window saying "Error Resizing Partition". You need to press Enter to make this go away. Then you can press 3 to switch to composite output. (Of course, by now you can't see the original error dialog!) Here is a screenshot of the dialog in question (apologies for the quality, but images have to be , 64KB!)
dialog.jpg
dialog.jpg (62.36 KiB) Viewed 1774 times

I'm guessing that this has something to do with this whole thread.

The SD card was a used one, had been formatted with Linux, but when I couldn't get anything on my (composite) screen, I took the card and formatted it as FAT32 with Win7, following the instructions in the QuickStart guide. Incidentally, there are a whole lot of options in both those formatting programs that aren't mentioned in the guide... I just accepted defaults where the Guide didn't tell me what to do.

incidentally, a useful diagnostic is whether your keyboard works (Num Lock button turns NumLock LED on/off) or mouse works (optical mouse has a red light shining out the bottom of it). If both these things work, you know that you have power, and that your Pi has booted sufficiently to make USB work, which pretty much excludes a crash of the processor, memory, etc. If only one works, then the other one is probably faulty. If neither works, it's probably something serious in the Pi itself, or the SDcard.

[Edit]
From there, I tried using Ubuntu to repartition the SDcard into an 8GB FAT32 partition plus 8GB free, and removed everything but Raspbian from the os folder. No change.
I then formatted the SDCard as FAT16 4GB and copied NOOBS (only Raspbian in os :mrgreen: ) onto it again. Hooray! It booted. However, it still seemed to have difficulty reading the SDcard, saying it couldn't install anything unless I plugged in the wired network. I did that, and it reformatted the SDcard, and is now downloading and extracting Raspbian.
by gsh » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:41 am
It only needs the network if it can't find any OSes in the /os folder on the SDCard.

In future if you have this problem I'd suggest doing the following:

1) Wait for NOOBS to boot and press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to switch to the command line
2) Log in (username "root" password "raspberry")
3) type:

cat /var/run/debug

4) Look for the line including parted ( it should look something like parted --script ...)

5) run that from the command line (run parted then enter the resize command)

6) sync and reboot
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering
by frankv » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:07 am
I think my SD card must be faulty... after raspbian downloaded and apparently installed OK, it wouldn't boot :(

Another card is on order.
by fluxcapacitor » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:26 am
Thanks. This seems like the first time I've been to that repository, albeit I find it odd--memory fading. I guess the best advice I can give to someone with a 4GB or less card is to go forgo NOOBS and use Raspbian straight away. I'm still trying to grasp if NOOBS is really for noobs. I read to get RPi going, I would need a 4GB card, but simply 4GB wasn't enough for Raspbian, the "recommend" distro on NOOBS_v1_3_4. I know writing an image to an SD card is tougher than a mere copy, but I think it's the way to go, a few more steps anyway, that is if the user has a semi-decent card writer.

Richard-TX wrote:There is another option and that is to use a version of Wheezy that does not need so much sd card space.

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... spbian.zip should work with a 4 gig card.