ZyXEL NWD2105 strange issue

5 posts
by MarcRoberts » Thu May 24, 2012 3:18 pm
Hi All,

Up until today all has been going fairly well. I am running Debian Squeeze on my Pi, recompiled the Kernel to add UVC support for my Logitech C910, got motion working and FTPing videos to my web server, all good....

Today I took delivery of a ZyXEL NWD2105 wifi dongle and installed the driver as per another forum post:
apt-get update
aptitude -t squeeze-backports install firmware-realtek
apt-get install firmware-ralink

Configured /etc/network/interfaces to connect wlan0 to my wifi network and ran ifup wlan0. This all seems to work ok but on both my networks (one WEP and one WPA) pings to the Pi and SSH to the Pi are spotty at best, pings either time out or get a reply seemingly random. SSH commands take ages to get through if they do at all, sometimes putty disconnects. From the Pi though I can ping http://www.google.com and everything is fine, no timeouts.
I'm running the ZyXEL direct from the Pi at the moment but have had the same result with it running on a powered Belkin hub (F4U018-BLK) with the exact same results so I don't *think* it's power related. I'm running the Pi from my kindle charger which is rated 5V at 0.85A.

Has anyone heard of anything like this before?
by quitequick » Thu May 24, 2012 11:19 pm
I managed to get a ZyXEL NWD2105 working on my pi but I don't suffer the issues you describe. I connect with WPA. I posted about it a while back.

I have no idea whether this will help you or not, but on my pi I updated my firmware using Hexxeh firmware updating tool...
http://hexxeh.net/?p=328117855

May be worth a try?
by MarcRoberts » Fri May 25, 2012 1:49 pm
Thanks for the reply. I had updated the firmware with Hexxeh's tool prior to comiling my kernel so I'm up-to-date. I've tried the same card on my other Pi (Arch Linux) at home on WPA and it worked fine, bought the other Pi to work including power supply and it has the same issues as the original one on Debian. Something must be wrong with *both* the wireless networks at work :S
by cowpat » Tue May 29, 2012 8:23 pm
I don't know if it's in anyway related but i'm running motion and am having trouble with ssh, ftp and smb all very slow/cutting out when motion is running - but the motion config pages seem relatively ok.

The laptop i'm using is on wifi, talking to the raspberry pi on ethernet.

I'm running archlinux on the RPi, i'm using ssh to talk to the RPi, and getting the motion images over ftp (at least I would be if it worked)

Everything comes good when I stop the motion deamon...
by misterpi » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:12 pm
MarcRoberts wrote:Hi All,

Up until today all has been going fairly well. I am running Debian Squeeze on my Pi, recompiled the Kernel to add UVC support for my Logitech C910, got motion working and FTPing videos to my web server, all good....

Today I took delivery of a ZyXEL NWD2105 wifi dongle and installed the driver as per another forum post:
apt-get update
apt-get install firmware-ralink

Hi,
I tried to download the driver for ZyXEL NWD2105 via
but i got this error message:

E: The value 'squeeze-backports' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources
E: The value 'squeeze-backports' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources

It seems like the site doesn't exist anymore. Does anyone have an idea where to get the ZyXEL NWD2105 driver ?

MisterPi