OpenGL Spectrum and Screen Saver (Euphoria, Plasma) problem

4 posts
by MiSm » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:44 pm
Helo
I have Raspberry Pi 512MB and XBMC installed.
First what comes up was OpenGL Spectrum visualiser does not working. Shows a slowly turning area of flat squares, whilst it should be a lot of bars.
Another thing I have noticed is that none of "more demanding" screen savers does not work. When I try to set Euphoria, Plasma or Solar Wind screensaver and I do "Preview" I can see a black screen and when I press anything to go back to setting screens my Raspberry reboots.

GPU: VideoCore IV HW
Res: 1920x1200@60Hz
OpenGL provider: Broadcom
OpenGL ver: OpenGL ES2.0

Measured voltage: never gets lower than 5.09V (I use good quality 5V 2A power supply).
by dom » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:35 pm
What distribution?
I believe I've read that July's raspbmc has a bug where spectrum visualisation doesn't work. Try an older release (or a nightly), or and openelec build.

Euphoria, Plasma and Solar Wind are written in OpenGL, so won't work on any OpenGL ES platform.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by MiSm » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:31 pm
Thanks for reply.
I have installed nightly version (xbmc-rbp-omxbackport) and now I can see visualisation working OK. So - one problem solved.
Anyway, none of screen savers working.
When I do "Preview" I can see black screen, and when I want to stop "previewing" and press any button Rapsberry comes back to normal operation (wchich is better then previously, when it did reboot...)

Another issue: Is it normal when Raspberry Pi does not start every time? I got only red light and nothing else...
by dom » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:16 am
MiSm wrote:Another issue: Is it normal when Raspberry Pi does not start every time? I got only red light and nothing else...

Not normal. Can you try booting with a bit of pressure holding the sdcard against the board (pushing the sdcard pings towards the socket pins) and see if boots more reliably.
I've heard reports of sdcards not making good contact there. Using a different sdcard, or a piece of card to wedge the sdcard in may help.