LG Monitor HDMI - Power Saving Mode, no signal

28 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by jamieoliver22 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:32 pm
Hi guys,

I just had a new LG 2260V monitor for my birthday, which I chose as it had the HDMI port for my Raspberry Pi. However, when I connect it to it, all I get on the monitor is 'HDMI - Power Saving Mode', which seems to illustrate that it has no signal.

I have used the same cable on my TV and it works perfectly, but doesn't seem to on my new monitor. Is this a setting that needs to be set on the config file, or something else?

Has anyone else had similar experience with this, or a similar model monitor?

Many thanks,

Jamie
by dom » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:38 pm
It is booting? You won't get an image on display without a valid sdcard.

Does the OK light flicker for 30 seconds or so after applying power?

Do you get an image out of composite?
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by jamieoliver22 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:01 pm
Yes, it boots fine - Like I said, it works and runs fine on my TV. OK power light stays on, but flickers a bit while loading.

And I don't have a composite cable (and my monitor doesn't have composite anyway). Like I said, it runs fine over HDMI on my TV, just not my monitor.
by dom » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:05 pm
Have you tried latest debian image?

Can you connect over network (e.g. with ssh) with LG monitor connected and run "/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -d edid.dat" and post the edid.dat file.
by jamieoliver22 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:08 pm
Yes, I have the latest image. Won't SSH be disabled by default on the latest image? What is the comment to enable it again, and I will try.

Thanks
by yell » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:15 pm
from the front page

ssh disabled by default – boot commands taken from /boot/boot.rc if present – candidate to enable ssh included

a bit weired, try looking for comments in the /boot/boot.rc file

edit comment from asb:

All you need to do is rename boot_enable_ssh.rc to boot.rc on your boot partition if you want sshd starting.
by jamieoliver22 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:36 pm
After some digging, it appears to be an issue with the monitor. The HDMI port is too recessed, meaning that the cable can't connect fully which results in a lack of signal.

I am sending it back under warranty, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help guys.
by ntsarb » Wed May 16, 2012 7:28 pm
I am having the same problem with an LG Flatron L246WH 24inch monitor, which is working perfectly fine with my PC.

Any chance it may be an HDMI incompatibility issue, which may be fixable via Raspberry firmware update...?
by dom » Wed May 16, 2012 7:40 pm
ntsarb wrote:I am having the same problem with an LG Flatron L246WH 24inch monitor, which is working perfectly fine with my PC.

Any chance it may be an HDMI incompatibility issue, which may be fixable via Raspberry firmware update...?

I assume it's not the same problem that the plug doesn't fit the socket.

We'll need more information to diagnose further. Can you connect to Pi and enter command (either with another diplay, or ssh in through network) ?
Can you captrue and post the edid.

Read this:
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting
possible config_hdmi_boost could help.

Getting latest start.elf file from github could help (or use Hexxeh's firmware updater).
by fernan13malaga » Wed May 16, 2012 8:17 pm
First of all, sorry for my bad english.

I'm having a similar issue, my desktop's monitor has a DVI and HDMI input. I'm using DVI with PC, and HDMI with Pi.
When my PC is powered off, my monitor do not recognise the Rpi, BUT, when my monitor is powered on using my PC, I only need to change the input to hdmi and everything works fine.

As i understand, Rpi uses the monitor to adjust the correct resolution etc... but at the same time, the monitor is searching for an input and automatically switch to stand-by mode because the rpi has not the output active.

If you have two inputs, test this, if not, i don't know what can you do to solve the problem.

Hope this help you.
by ntsarb » Sat May 19, 2012 3:39 pm
dom wrote:
ntsarb wrote:I am having the same problem with an LG Flatron L246WH 24inch monitor, which is working perfectly fine with my PC.

I assume it's not the same problem that the plug doesn't fit the socket.

We'll need more information to diagnose further. Can you connect to Pi and enter command (either with another diplay, or ssh in through network) ?
Can you captrue and post the edid.

Read this:
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting
possible config_hdmi_boost could help.

Getting latest start.elf file from github could help (or use Hexxeh's firmware updater).

Thanks for your initial feedback. The problem is not with the connector.

When I connect the PC on the HDMI input, it works fine. When I connect the RPi on the same input, it goes into sleep mode. When I switch the monitor to VGA or Component, it gives a "no signal" message. When I switch back to HDMI, I don't see such a message. The screen remains blank for a few seconds, then a message appears shortly notifying that the monitor is entering Sleep mode and the monitor LED turns orange.

I have installed the Arch Linux ARM distro and I can successfully log in.
I configured the config_hdmi_boost parameter in /boot/config.txt and it didn't make any difference.
I also tried Hexxeh's firmware updater. It didn't make a difference either.

Which command do you want me to enter and provide you with the outcome?
by dom » Sat May 19, 2012 4:05 pm
@ntsarb
Can you capture the edid (/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -d edid.dat) and post it here?
by ntsarb » Sat May 19, 2012 4:30 pm
[quote="dom"]@ntsarb
Can you capture the edid (/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -d edid.dat) and post it here?[/quote]

I got the following error:
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice: error while loading shared libraries: libvchiq_arm.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I found in another thread that if the hdmi_mode is not set, the default is to auto-negotiate with monitor. I noticed that the setup.txt contained a specific setting. I removed it and everything worked fine.

It looks like the hdmi_mode boot up setting should be removed from the Arch Linux ARM distro, to eliminate this issue.
by dom » Sat May 19, 2012 4:38 pm
ntsarb wrote:I got the following error:
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice: error while loading shared libraries: libvchiq_arm.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Try "sudo ldconfig" ?

ntsarb wrote:It looks like the hdmi_mode boot up setting should be removed from the Arch Linux ARM distro, to eliminate this issue.

Definitely. That is a bug in Arch installation. pepedog, can you remove that?
by ntsarb » Sat May 19, 2012 5:07 pm
dom wrote:
ntsarb wrote:I got the following error:

Try "sudo ldconfig" ?

ntsarb wrote:It looks like the hdmi_mode boot up setting should be removed from the Arch Linux ARM distro, to eliminate this issue.

Definitely. That is a bug in Arch installation. pepedog, can you remove that?

'sudo ldconfig' does not cause any error. It takes 2-3 secs to return back to the shell prompt. tvservice still returns the same error, though.
by dom » Sun May 20, 2012 9:45 am
Do you have /opt/vc/lib/libvchiq_arm.so ?
Try running:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/vc/lib /opt/vc/bin/tvservice
by piglet » Sat May 26, 2012 7:22 pm
No - I have /opt/vc/lib/libvchiq_arm.a, but no /opt/vc/lib/libvchiq_arm.so
by dom » Sat May 26, 2012 8:05 pm
That's old. Try Hexxeh's firmware updater.
by piglet » Sat May 26, 2012 9:13 pm
Ah great! The only error is....about the file I want! It's working now. I can update my thread. Thanks

pi@raspberrypi:~$ sudo rpi-update
Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS
Performing self-update
Using ARM/GPU memory split of 192MB/64MB
We're running for the first time
Setting up firmware (this will take a few minutes)
Using SoftFP libraries
/opt/vc/sbin/vcfiled: error while loading shared libraries: libvchiq_arm.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
If no errors appeared, your firmware was successfully setup
A reboot is needed to activate the new firmware
by dom » Sat May 26, 2012 10:41 pm
Do you now have:
/opt/vc/lib/libvchiq_arm.so
If you do, you may need to do
sudo ldconfig
or run with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/vc/lib <name of program to run>
by wuftymerguftyguff » Tue May 29, 2012 1:49 pm
Hi,

I have a very similar problem that I have been banging my head against for some time., and a bit more information. To start off I thought my PI was dead as it was behaving like this out of the box. The symptoms seem similar to those reported my quote a few posters who say "Red light only"

My monitor is the LG D2342P

Firmware up to date as of today with Hexxeh firmware updater.

From a cold start with the HDMI attached the PI does not boot. I see no flickers of the green OK LED at all.

PI is rock solid when not plugged into any display or keyboard (SD/Network/Power only), and is also rock solid when plugged into a Toshiba TV.

If I disconnect all peripherals from the PI, and then connect the power and very quickly then connect the HDMI the PI will boot fine, and HDMI works.

I have checked my power levels and these are fine (Using HTC 1000mA wart as mentioned in the compatible list)

A warm reboot (shutdown -r now) is then successful and remains successful.

A cold reboot is now successful too provided that you only pull the power connector, but if you disconnect the other peripherals and reconnect them the PI will not boot.

The only way to get it booting again is to disconnect ALL peripherals, then connect the HDMI quickly, after the first flash of the OK LED.

This behaviour is 100% reproducible with my PI.

Attached is the edid.dat file for my monitor.

Any thoughts?
Attachments
edid.rar
(300 Bytes) Downloaded 90 times
by extravagoose » Tue May 29, 2012 3:07 pm
I'm also having very similar issues as described in this thread. However, for me, HDMI output is no problem at all... my issue is with DVI. Whilst I can use a HDMI - HDMI cable fine... I cannot say the same for HDMI - DVI (although this works fine from my Windows box). I can SSH via PuTTY on Windows and Terminal on my Mac with no issues either.

I am however able to output DVI in hdmi-mode=1 - as you can imagine, this isn't too great!

I'm running Arch Linux ARM and have tried the suggestions in this post... my config.txt file looks like this:

#hdmi_mode=19
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
#arm_freq=800
disable_overscan=1

I have tried "$ /opt/vc/bin/tvservice" and "$ sudo ldconfig" but also get the error already mentioned:

However, I'm also struggling to update the firmware as someone suggested... I'm relatively new to the R Pi and rekindling my interests in linux and using a CLI.

Be grateful if anyone could give any pointers... failing that, will just have to swap and use HDMI to HDMI and run my Windows box with the DVI... just seems strange that one would work, and the other doesn't...
RPi 1: Hostname: Gimli, 500Gb USB HDD, ArchLinux | ARM.
Main Use: Bit of everything - but mainly web server, Network Storage and C programming.

RPi 2: Hostname tba, awaiting delivery.
by extravagoose » Tue May 29, 2012 3:18 pm
An interesting observation (in addition to my previous post) - I did mean to say I want to share my LG monitor between the Pi and Windows PC. Anyway, I have tried two methods of connecting both to the monitor as follows:

Method 1:
PC: HDMI to HDMI - works
Pi: HDMI to DVI - doesn't work

Method 2:
PC: HDMI to DVI - works
Pi: HDMI to HDMI - works

... now I'm even more confused! :? Ok, its no big deal, I can work with method 2... but it just seems odd how the Pi doesn't like the DVI. Although oddly enough, If I connect JUST the Pi on its own to the monitor using the HDMI to DVI cable - it works fine.

I did wonder if my monitor was playing up... but that seems unlikely... Anyone have any thoughts?
RPi 1: Hostname: Gimli, 500Gb USB HDD, ArchLinux | ARM.
Main Use: Bit of everything - but mainly web server, Network Storage and C programming.

RPi 2: Hostname tba, awaiting delivery.
by egp » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:47 pm
I am also getting the same error:
sudo tvservice -m DMT
tvservice: error while loading shared libraries: libvchiq_arm.so
I have verified that libvchiq_arm.so lives in /opt/vc/lib/libvchiq_arm.so
and I have run
sudo ldconfig -v | grep libvchiq
and it says
libvchiq_arm.so -> libvchiq_arm.so

so I assume that means that ldconfig knows the file is there. So why can't tvservice find it?
by withnail46 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:23 pm
I am now on my second Rasppi, the first one was returned as the audio output was not working.
This one, unlike the last one, wont play nice with my LG monitor. The last one was fine in that regard. It played video ( badly , and minus sound, obviously).
So why wont this one get beyond the "HDMI Power Saving Mode"?
Has anyone EVER got one of these things to work/do ANYTHING at all.
Chalk the whole thing up to experience and move on, I think.