Buffer I/O error

3 posts
by mang0 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:15 pm
I installed Raspbian onto my Pi when I got it about 7 months ago, and it worked a charm; ran a small FTP server, nginx, a few other basic usages and it was wonderful!
However, a couple of weeks ago I went to SSH in to do something, and it wasn't there - not connected up to the internet at all in fact, as my router told me. I wondered if perhaps there had been a powercut, and my Pi hadn't logged back in, or rebooted correctly.
I tried rebooting the Pi by unplugging it/plugging it in, but it didn't work. I tried connecting up the HDMI, nothing showed up, no signal recieved.
I didn't have the time to do more with it then, but today I got a moment to grab the SD card and try booting via a USB adaptor for it on my computer.
After the POST finished, I was spat out an error similar to this: "Buffer I/O error on disk sdd1, sector abcxyz" repeated over and over again!
Then I booted up into Windows, and tried to mount it - it failed to mount. Same in Debian.
What could be causing this problem? Re-flashing isn't a problem, I have all the important data backed up of course, but I'm just confused as to what might have happened, and if it's something I've done, don't want to repeat!
Thanks a lot.
by Davespice » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:29 am
That sounds like the file system has become corrupt somehow, could have lost power during a write operation.
Something like that is just an unfortunate coincidence. You'll have to re-flash the SD card.
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by mang0 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:33 pm
Davespice wrote:That sounds like the file system has become corrupt somehow, could have lost power during a write operation.
Something like that is just an unfortunate coincidence. You'll have to re-flash the SD card.

Ah, right. Well that's a bother, but not a problem - I'll do it now, and report back as to how it goes!
Thanks.