Re: New Wiki page for troubleshooting

21 posts
by bredman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:06 pm
I have created a new wiki page for the most common problems so far.

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting

Please feel free to anything if it has been reported by more than one person AND we have confirmation that the problem is solved.

I must admit I am totally lost in the HDMI discussions. If anybody can summarise in a few lines, please add your wisdom to the wiki.
by linker3000 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:38 am
Very good idea - I've just split the current entries into categories for clarity + added a display problem with Arch Linux that has a fix.
by Chris.Rowland » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:27 am
I've added a link to the power supply information in the hardware section. I put quite a lot about troubleshooting power supply issues there.

Hope that's OK, I'm new to wikis.
by bredman » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:12 pm
I have added some photos to show any timid folk how to check the power supply voltage. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Many thanks to Helpme1986 for the photos. He may have a dead Pi, but at least he has contributed something useful. His suffering was not in vain.

Can anybody take a photo of what the overscan problems will look like? Much easier than trying to explain in words what the problem looks like.
by Helpme1986 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:11 pm
I should have another Pi tomorrow (touch wood) so will replicate the overscan problem and take a pic ;)

Great idea by Bredman to get some photos up, alot easier to see it visually rather than read it, anyone else who would like a image on the wiki please let me know!
by Nick Varney » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:39 pm
Excellent idea as trawling through the many posts isn't easy. Very clear to read too.
by FDP » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:23 pm
Thank You! This is very helpful. I assume that if one creates an account at elinux then this wiki page can be edited.

It might be helpful to suggest to thread OPs that they move solutions over there when their threads are resolved. This would keep that up to date, although it might be better to host this document locally so that users don't need two sets of passwords.
-FDP
by geezbeez » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:18 pm
There's been a lot of info for RaspPI power supplies,
Following this I bought a NOKIA AC-10X which it seems had been verified by a number of Raspberry users as up to the job. I did this despite the fact the charger Id been using seemed fine up until I plugged in a WIFI dongle. Incidentally a Chinese ZTE travel charger STC-A220501700m5-b rated at 700ma, not sure what I got that charger from? A £10 mobile phone I think
Now getting a PSU that works with a Raspberry is pretty simple compared to a WIFI dongle.
My Wifi dongle still wont work even when the PI is powered by a PSU independently verified as good.
It would be most helpful if there was a list of wifi dongles including version numbers known to work with the base Debian or Arch `cut on a raspberry PI (without running rpi_update which could cause problems in itself) and that can be set up using the instructions available on raspberrypi.org.
by itimpi » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:59 am
Are you using a powered USB hub? Most WiFi dongles will draw more power than the Pi can supply via its USB ports which are limited to 140mA (regardless of the power Supply used) and thus need a powered hub to make them work.
by SuvwI » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:06 pm
Hi
I also have a similar problem with power.
I am using a Powered USB Hub http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003DVC7N6
which i found on the accepted devices list and also recommended in another thread
I have a wireless Keyboard & mouse 2.4Ghz which will not work directly plugged into the Pi but is fine in the Hub.
However when I plug in either my wifi dongle or USB hard drive into the powered Hub the Pi hangs.
the Hub is powered by a 1000mA supply

Any idea why as the power is not from the Pi
by itimpi » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:53 am
I would not expect 1000mA to be enough to power a HD in addition to everything else as the HD by itself is likely to consume 500mA. It is possible that the WiFi dongle is also power hungry enough to exhale the total over the 1000mA limit. that of course is assuming the power adapter really delivers its rated value - many cheap ones do not. I have 2000mA power adapters (or better) for my hubs and thy can run this sort of mix of devices successfully.
by donwatkins10 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:46 am
itimpi wrote:I would not expect 1000mA to be enough to power a HD in addition to everything else as the HD by itself is likely to consume 500mA. It is possible that the WiFi dongle is also power hungry enough to exhale the total over the 1000mA limit. that of course is assuming the power adapter really delivers its rated value - many cheap ones do not. I have 2000mA power adapters (or better) for my hubs and thy can run this sort of mix of devices successfully.

I've had the same experience. After adding a 2.1A USB hub all of my keyboard/mouse/wifi problems went away. It seems that many (most? all??) USB devices will communicate with the host at "unit load" power levels but will do nothing more if not given the current required to perform their duties.

BTW - This post was written using a Logitech wireless USB (Unifying) keyboard and mouse configured to use the same USB xcvr plugged into a powered USB hub on the Rapsberry Pi running the Debian variant called "Raspian".

Salute! :)
by notarat » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:07 pm
I too had issues with finding a decent Charger/PSU for the RPi.

The HTC one I ordered after checking the compatibility list simply is not up to snuff, even though it was listed as compatible. It works fine with my Droid 1 so I swapped it out with the Moto charger.

That said, I will likely move over to the Asus TF-700 charger since it is definitely capable of supplying enough power to the unit and move the Moto charger back to the Droid1
by david451 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:27 am
at least he makes a attempt to help with this wiki page. It has given me some ideas for I just got my pi 2 days ago. Its slow and has no sound right now but ther is a link in here on the alsa driver I will check thru the terminal.
by david451 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:43 am
geezbeez wrote:There's been a lot of info for RaspPI power supplies,
Following this I bought a NOKIA AC-10X which it seems had been verified by a number of Raspberry users as up to the job. I did this despite the fact the charger Id been using seemed fine up until I plugged in a WIFI dongle. Incidentally a Chinese ZTE travel charger STC-A220501700m5-b rated at 700ma, not sure what I got that charger from? A £10 mobile phone I think
Now getting a PSU that works with a Raspberry is pretty simple compared to a WIFI dongle.
My Wifi dongle still wont work even when the PI is powered by a PSU independently verified as good.
It would be most helpful if there was a list of wifi dongles including version numbers known to work with the base Debian or Arch `cut on a raspberry PI (without running rpi_update which could cause problems in itself) and that can be set up using the instructions available on raspberrypi.org.

I may be new but as long as you have a charger that has a micro usb plug and the voltage is on output of 5 volts and 1amp it will work. I tried a lower amp than 700 and it would not boot.
by Electricdoc » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:36 pm
I am a beginner trying to set up my type b raspberry pi. It boots up right away nut I cannot find a way to input anything so that I can make any selection. I have tried an Apple keyboard and an Apple mouse. I have tried an Apple Bluetooth keyboard and an Apple Bluetooth mouse with a USB Bluetooth Adapter. I am using the iPad charger as a power supply. Help!
by Electricdoc » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:42 pm
The Bluetooth adapter is from Dynamode.
by drgeoff » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:22 pm
You should have started a new topic rather than hijacking this sticky. Perhaps a helpful moderator will do that for you.

Connect your RPi with an ethernet cable to your router and boot the RPi. Using your Mac (or PC) consult your router's configuration web page to see if the RPi has been given an IP address and report back here.
by Electricdoc » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:22 pm
I have learned how to access my Qwest modem and hooked my RPi but still do not know how to tell if the router assigned an IP address. The supporter from CenturyLink said it the router automatically assigns it's own IP to the computer. Thank you for your help but the RPi still does not recognize any input device. I am sorry to be such a beginner but I really need help in getting some way to input commands and/or selections.
by Electricdoc » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:58 pm
I would add that I am using a preprogrammed card. Goes right to the screen without using a user name or password.
by drgeoff » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:05 pm
I would concentrate on getting things working with a wired mouse and keyboard.

Is the Apple wired keyboard the one mentioned at http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... _Keyboards?

Buying pre-loaded SD cards is often a bad idea as the software on them can be old. It isn't difficult to flash a card yourself.

What OS is supposed to be on your card?

Is your card booting up straight into a GUI or just to a command prompt? If the latter you do realise that the mouse will not work outside the GUI?

You didn't confirm whether the ethernet is working or not. It would be good to know for sure because non-working USB and non-working ethernet usually means a hardware problem. Can you provide a link to the manual for the Qwest modem?

With what are you powering the RPi?