Connecting to wireless router


12 posts
by sutton » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:10 pm
I recently bought a Maplin Raspberry Pi kit with the larger memory. I also bought a NETGEAR N300 Wireless Router with USB so that I could connect the Raspberry Pi to the Internet. The mobile telephone can log on, proving that the router is working. However, when I click on the Wireless Config icon on the desktop I receive the message: "Could not get status from wpa supplicant."
The dongle came with the kit to be used on the USB hub and I understand that it is a N150 Nano Wifi USB dongle. It may be relevant that the image on the SD card is not the original that came from Maplin. That crashed and I had to load another from the Raspberry Pi Download site. Have I consequently lost the drivers that go with the Maplin dongle?
I would be grateful for suggestions.
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:36 pm
by Cloudcentric » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:13 am
Operating System - not known ?

If Raspbian "wheezy" have you fully updated ?? If not it is in this blog http://debianarmpi.blogspot.co.uk about half way down page 'Raspbian is under constant improvement'
I know everything about nothing"
Posts: 982
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:13 am
by FTrevorGowen » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:27 pm
sutton: I'm currently using one or other of two generic 802.11n WiFi dongles to connect my model A* Pi to the network and these occasionally "drop-out" with the same, or similar errors. I'm using the February 2013 release of wheezy-raspbian. In my case I'm fairly certain that it's my router that's losing connection itself, since it sometimes also "forgets about" my wireless printer and I have to "reboot" that to re-establish printing. Could you run "lsusb" and "usb-devices" from the Pi's command line and "report back" here (or by PM if preferred). That way I can tell if your dongle uses the same chipset and/or has similar "MxPwr" (current) requirements. Also do you plug the dongle directly into one of the Pi's USB ports or into the hub. Some WiFi dongles are known to draw "too much" current when "searching" for a router resulting in "drop-outs" or similar. This is should be less likely if the device is plugged directly into the Pi. Trev.
*I also have Model B's
Mainly running "Wheezy Raspbian" on five Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2 & a B+). Notes about them begin at http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virginmedia.com/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm
User avatar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1736
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: Bristol, U.K.
by malakai » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:55 pm
Are you logging in as pi and when getting to the desktop are you just running startx or are you using sudo startx. (don't use sudo with startx) And as stated above is the adapter plugged into the Pi's USB or are you using a powered hub?
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
User avatar
Posts: 1383
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:35 am
by sutton » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:20 pm
Cloudcentric wrote:Operating System - not known ?

If Raspbian "wheezy" have you fully updated ?? If not it is in this blog http://debianarmpi.blogspot.co.uk about half way down page 'Raspbian is under constant improvement'


Thank you Cloudcentric, I will certainly consider that option, however there is also a red warning which now appears to be crucial for wireless operation : startpar: service(s) report failure : sudo
Cannot run fsck as files are 'mounted.'

Regards, P S.
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:36 pm
by sutton » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:48 pm
FTrevorGowen wrote:sutton: I'm currently using one or other of two generic 802.11n WiFi dongles to connect my model A* Pi to the network and these occasionally "drop-out" with the same, or similar errors. I'm using the February 2013 release of wheezy-raspbian. In my case I'm fairly certain that it's my router that's losing connection itself, since it sometimes also "forgets about" my wireless printer and I have to "reboot" that to re-establish printing. Could you run "lsusb" and "usb-devices" from the Pi's command line and "report back" here (or by PM if preferred). That way I can tell if your dongle uses the same chipset and/or has similar "MxPwr" (current) requirements. Also do you plug the dongle directly into one of the Pi's USB ports or into the hub. Some WiFi dongles are known to draw "too much" current when "searching" for a router resulting in "drop-outs" or similar. This is should be less likely if the device is plugged directly into the Pi. Trev.
*I also have Model B's


Thanks Trevor,
as I mentioned to Cloudcentric I also noticed a red warning that I now believe is relevant to wireless operation: startpar:service(s) report failure: sudo... At the moment the Pi is going through checks where I have to say y? yes. I will carry out the above check when I 'get it back.' (Had to crash it when it refused to accept password and I could not get to command line to close properly)
It makes no difference where I place the dongle

Regards,
PS.
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:36 pm
by 1pi2much » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:59 pm
I have trouble with my wifi when the router restarts/reconnects as well.
When that happens try this

Code: Select all
sudo ifdown wlan0
sudo ifup wlan0


You could try putting this in a script with a check to run in the as a cronjob if you
don't want to do this manually. There are some of these on the web
An example:
http://sirlagz.net/2013/01/10/script-wi ... er-script/

--
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:58 pm
by sutton » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:49 pm
FTrevorGowen wrote:sutton: I'm currently using one or other of two generic 802.11n WiFi dongles to connect my model A* Pi to the network and these occasionally "drop-out" with the same, or similar errors. I'm using the February 2013 release of wheezy-raspbian. In my case I'm fairly certain that it's my router that's losing connection itself, since it sometimes also "forgets about" my wireless printer and I have to "reboot" that to re-establish printing. Could you run "lsusb" and "usb-devices" from the Pi's command line and "report back" here (or by PM if preferred). That way I can tell if your dongle uses the same chipset and/or has similar "MxPwr" (current) requirements. Also do you plug the dongle directly into one of the Pi's USB ports or into the hub. Some WiFi dongles are known to draw "too much" current when "searching" for a router resulting in "drop-outs" or similar. This is should be less likely if the device is plugged directly into the Pi. Trev.
*I also have Model B's


Hi Trevor, I have carried out the above and it returns Ralink technology corporation RT 5370 wireless adapter mx pwr 450 ma

Dongle is on the hub.

Regards PS.
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:36 pm
by sutton » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:03 pm
1pi2much wrote:I have trouble with my wifi when the router restarts/reconnects as well.
When that happens try this

Code: Select all
sudo ifdown wlan0
sudo ifup wlan0


You could try putting this in a script with a check to run in the as a cronjob if you
don't want to do this manually. There are some of these on the web
An example:
http://sirlagz.net/2013/01/10/script-wi ... er-script/

--


When I performed ifdown wlan0 it returned (wlan0 not configured.)

When I performed ifup wlan0 it returned two sets of information under CODE 1 which to sum up meant the daemon failed to start run_parts.... Als0 no such file or directory wpa_supplicant.

Regards,
PS
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:36 pm
by FTrevorGowen » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:30 pm
sutton wrote:Hi Trevor, I have carried out the above and it returns Ralink technology corporation RT 5370 wireless adapter mx pwr 450 ma

Dongle is on the hub.

I've just checked the wiki (http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... i_Adapters) and it suggests that "RT5370 USB-ID 148f:5370 (requires firmware-ralink from Wheezy) RPi_Ralink_WLAN_devices(B)." (Wiki gives further links).
If your hub is unpowered the dongle may work better when directly connected to the Pi. My Realtek RT8188CUS devices report a "MxPwr" of 500mA and appear to work equally as well when connected directly or via an unpowered hama hub BUT the only other things connected to said hub are a wired mini-keyboard and wired mouse via a second, switching hub which is effectively powered by the netbook which shares them.
Also
sutton wrote:When I performed ifdown wlan0 it returned (wlan0 not configured.)

When I performed ifup wlan0 it returned two sets of information under CODE 1 which to sum up meant the daemon failed to start run_parts.... Als0 no such file or directory wpa_supplicant.

Regards,
PS

suggests that you may now have "lost" wpa_supplicant (or, if you've done a "startx" and are "in the GUI" the GUI's link to it) which suggests that your SD card image may have become corrupted.
Mainly running "Wheezy Raspbian" on five Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2 & a B+). Notes about them begin at http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virginmedia.com/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm
User avatar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1736
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: Bristol, U.K.
by sutton » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:32 pm
FTrevorGowen wrote:
sutton wrote:Hi Trevor, I have carried out the above and it returns Ralink technology corporation RT 5370 wireless adapter mx pwr 450 ma

Dongle is on the hub.

I've just checked the wiki (http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... i_Adapters) and it suggests that "RT5370 USB-ID 148f:5370 (requires firmware-ralink from Wheezy) RPi_Ralink_WLAN_devices(B)." (Wiki gives further links).
If your hub is unpowered the dongle may work better when directly connected to the Pi. My Realtek RT8188CUS devices report a "MxPwr" of 500mA and appear to work equally as well when connected directly or via an unpowered hama hub BUT the only other things connected to said hub are a wired mini-keyboard and wired mouse via a second, switching hub which is effectively powered by the netbook which shares them.
Also
sutton wrote:When I performed ifdown wlan0 it returned (wlan0 not configured.)

When I performed ifup wlan0 it returned two sets of information under CODE 1 which to sum up meant the daemon failed to start run_parts.... Als0 no such file or directory wpa_supplicant.

Regards,
PS

suggests that you may now have "lost" wpa_supplicant (or, if you've done a "startx" and are "in the GUI" the GUI's link to it) which suggests that your SD card image may have become corrupted.



Thanks Trevor,
I have followed the link and done some futher tests which indicate that the image that I had already downloaded is configured for the RT5370 USB-ID 148f:5370 dongle. The problem must be elsewhere as you suggest. I will bite the bullet and download a fresh image.

Regards,
PS.
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:36 pm
by sutton » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:49 pm
sutton wrote:
FTrevorGowen wrote:
sutton wrote:Hi Trevor, I have carried out the above and it returns Ralink technology corporation RT 5370 wireless adapter mx pwr 450 ma

Dongle is on the hub.

I've just checked the wiki (http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... i_Adapters) and it suggests that "RT5370 USB-ID 148f:5370 (requires firmware-ralink from Wheezy) RPi_Ralink_WLAN_devices(B)." (Wiki gives further links).
If your hub is unpowered the dongle may work better when directly connected to the Pi. My Realtek RT8188CUS devices report a "MxPwr" of 500mA and appear to work equally as well when connected directly or via an unpowered hama hub BUT the only other things connected to said hub are a wired mini-keyboard and wired mouse via a second, switching hub which is effectively powered by the netbook which shares them.
Also
sutton wrote:When I performed ifdown wlan0 it returned (wlan0 not configured.)

When I performed ifup wlan0 it returned two sets of information under CODE 1 which to sum up meant the daemon failed to start run_parts.... Als0 no such file or directory wpa_supplicant.

Regards,
PS

suggests that you may now have "lost" wpa_supplicant (or, if you've done a "startx" and are "in the GUI" the GUI's link to it) which suggests that your SD card image may have become corrupted.



Thanks Trevor,
I have followed the link and done some futher tests which indicate that the image that I had already downloaded is configured for the RT5370 USB-ID 148f:5370 dongle. The problem must be elsewhere as you suggest. I will bite the bullet and download a fresh image.

Regards,
PS.


My thanks to all who have helped.,
I burned a new image and now I am wirelessly connected. I was helped to see that the original image supported the Ralink dongle.

Regards,
PS.
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:36 pm