ssh: connection refused

7 posts
by MrRicheyRich » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:06 pm
Hi all,
I'm running a headless version 1 pi with an Edimax wireless dongle, and trying to access it via ssh from a laptop. I can ping the pi's ip address, can see it on the network, and can access the samba server.

Whenever I try and login via ssh, however, I get a connection refused error. Why is this? If I keep trying, eventually by the 20th time I get a successful connection. Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks in advance,
Rich
by Mobius » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:39 am
What are you using for the SSH program on your PC? I'm using puTTY and it works well with that wireless model as well as with my ethernet. Also, are you including the port number (default is 20 on the Pi)? The only other thing I can think of is to set the Pi for a static IP address instead of allowing DHCP to assign one.
by tonyhughes » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:02 am
Mobius wrote:What are you using for the SSH program on your PC? I'm using puTTY and it works well with that wireless model as well as with my ethernet. Also, are you including the port number (default is 20 on the Pi)? The only other thing I can think of is to set the Pi for a static IP address instead of allowing DHCP to assign one.

20 is not the default SSH port on Raspbian. 22 is.

Some distributions may not have SSH enabled by default, it is all down to the distribution, not the Pi itself.
Baked Linux Mod http://www.geek101.co.nz/bakedlinuxmod

Easy install of Drupal, Wordpress, RazorCMS, Chyrp, Apache, Nginx, Lighttpd, firewall, Webmin, VNC, RDP, FTP servers, mailservers, MySQL, SQLite, Transmission and more...

tall.co.nz/webcam.jpg
by MrRicheyRich » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:40 pm
Many thanks for the suggestions.
I'm using MobaXterm, which was suggested on another thread of this forum. I've actually assigned a static ip already, so this shouldn't be a problem. Also, I have accessed the pi in the past successfully via ssh but now things are very intermittent.

Further to my previous post, now samba and network visibility are intermittent too. I originally soldered fat resistors over my usb polyfuses so that I could draw the high current I needed by the Edimax wireless dongle (I'm not using a powered hub). When I use my XBMC installation the wireless runs fine; even at the beginning of using Raspbian it worked fine too. So I'm not sure what's changed to make connecting such a hit and miss affair.

Suggestions most welcome...
Rich
by Mobius » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:21 pm
tonyhughes wrote:
Mobius wrote:What are you using for the SSH program on your PC? I'm using puTTY and it works well with that wireless model as well as with my ethernet. Also, are you including the port number (default is 20 on the Pi)? The only other thing I can think of is to set the Pi for a static IP address instead of allowing DHCP to assign one.

20 is not the default SSH port on Raspbian. 22 is.

[quote]

Right you are. I changed mine so long ago I forgot.
by PaulCheffus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:36 pm
MrRicheyRich wrote:
I originally soldered fat resistors over my usb polyfuses so that I could draw the high current I needed by the Edimax wireless dongle (I'm not using a powered hub).

Suggestions most welcome...
Rich

Hi

I'm puzzled why you needed to do this. I have been running my v1 Pi for a couple of months using the Edimax dongle straight into the USB port on the Pi without any mods and it has been perfectly stable. I got 30 days uptime without issue (we had a power cut) otherwise it would be around 60 days now. I use a Blackberry charger rated at 5v 700ma.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.
by MrRicheyRich » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:56 pm
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply. My experience seems to be a bit different from yours. Initially I found no networks using the WPA GUI (iwlist scan) and also errors plaguing my wlan0 when typing iwconfig. I found a thread by Mahjongg on this website (viewtopic.php?p=168663#p168663 I think) where I was told that this error was probably due to the low current limitation of the onboard usb ports. I borrowed a powered usb hub and everything worked so I'm assuming this is the case.

Using the Mahjongg mod to bridge the gap over the polyfuses seemed to work for other people, and initially worked for me. But now wireless is intermittent - I dream of 30 hours continuous pi connectivity! I am using either a Samsung or HTC adaptor with 1 A maximum current. Apart from getting another less temperamental Pi, I'm not sure what to do....
Rich