Raspberry Pi does not boot

7 posts
by mrioso » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:41 pm
Hello! I hope I will find some help in this forum.

My raspberry pi suddenly stopped working. Suddenly the SD card became unreadable and after resetting it with raspian the raspberry fails to boot. The image is definitely fine and I also tried a different SD card.

I checked all fuses - they are all good. So now I am in trouble, since I have no clue how to fix this.

When booting with a valid SD card I do get stuck soon after the message "Welcome to standalone Raspberry"- I can mount manually the SD card partitions, but it seems that the root partition that appears on my system is not the same as the one one the SD card.

Does anyone have an idea what I could try next?

Thank you in advance!
by obcd » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:31 pm
If your root partition isn't the same as the one on your sd card, than it's almost like the emergency kernel is booted instead of the normal one. I know you can force this by pulling one of the io lines low during boot. It might be worth to try to rename the kernel_emergency.img and copy the kernel.img to kernel_emergency.img to see if it makes a difference. (In the fat32 boot partition)
by mrioso » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:40 am
Ok, I will try this as soon as I get home!

Thank you very much. Fingers crossed that it works!
by mrioso » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:45 pm
This solved it! Thank you so much!

NB: Still wondering why my pi started to load the emergency kernel?
by Hypher » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:22 am
I had this exact same problem. Everything was working perfectly, and then suddenly the Pi wouldn't boot.

I finally found a monitor and keyboard for it (I had been running it headless for weeks) and found myself in this emergency kernel mode, despite there being nothing wrong with my root partition.

I figured out the renaming trick a few minutes before finding this post, but I too would like to know why the pi started doing this in the first place. There isn't a lot of documentation out there.

Interestingly, it seems that now, after getting back to the main kernel, my network card no longer works, so I wonder if there is some strange hardware problem that's causing the emergency boot.

Thoughts?
by Hypher » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:24 am
P.S. False alarm on the networking issue. Turns out I just had a bad cable. Heh.
by duzinga » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:52 am
I have the same issue in my Rpi. Pin 5 is always low, which is the cause of the load for emergency kernel I think. I solved this by connecting pin 17 (3.3V) to pin 5, and that seemed to solve it. I don't know why this happened all of a sudden, there does not seem to be any shorts from pin 5 to other pins.