USB hard drive mounting as read only

3 posts
by timpjriley » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:58 pm
I am using raspbian and trying to mount a WD elements 1TB hard drive formatted as NTFS to my pi.

I use the sudo mount command however it comes up with a warning saying that the drive has been mounted as read only?

Is this a problem with pi and NTFS or something else?
by stevepdp » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:35 pm
This is usually a problem with the drive having not been unmounted cleanly on Windows.

May I suggest plugging it in to a Windows, let it mount and then unmount it using the safe removal tool in the taskbar/superbar?

As NTFS support in Linux is reverse engineered and experimental, the NTFS-3G program will refuse to mount unclean volumes.

Hope this helps!
I'm not a part of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, I'm just an enthusiastic fan.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Joe Schmoe » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:21 pm
stevepdp wrote:This is usually a problem with the drive having not been unmounted cleanly on Windows.

May I suggest plugging it in to a Windows, let it mount and then unmount it using the safe removal tool in the taskbar/superbar?

As NTFS support in Linux is reverse engineered and experimental, the NTFS-3G program will refuse to mount unclean volumes.

Hope this helps!

This is certainly true, but the first question has to be:

Have you installed (and are presently using) the "new" ntfs-3g driver (as opposed to the standard/"old" ntfs driver) ?
Oh, how I wish that the signature facility on this board weren't so broken.

It is broken in that every time you change your signature, all of your posts reflect the change, not just those going forward.