USB hard drive mounting as read only

3 posts
by timpjriley » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:58 pm
I am using raspbian and trying to mount a WD elements 1TB hard drive formatted as NTFS to my pi.

I use the sudo mount command however it comes up with a warning saying that the drive has been mounted as read only?

Is this a problem with pi and NTFS or something else?
by stevepdp » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:35 pm
This is usually a problem with the drive having not been unmounted cleanly on Windows.

May I suggest plugging it in to a Windows, let it mount and then unmount it using the safe removal tool in the taskbar/superbar?

As NTFS support in Linux is reverse engineered and experimental, the NTFS-3G program will refuse to mount unclean volumes.

Hope this helps!
I'm not a part of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, I'm just an enthusiastic fan.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Joe Schmoe » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:21 pm
stevepdp wrote:This is usually a problem with the drive having not been unmounted cleanly on Windows.

May I suggest plugging it in to a Windows, let it mount and then unmount it using the safe removal tool in the taskbar/superbar?

As NTFS support in Linux is reverse engineered and experimental, the NTFS-3G program will refuse to mount unclean volumes.

Hope this helps!

This is certainly true, but the first question has to be:

Have you installed (and are presently using) the "new" ntfs-3g driver (as opposed to the standard/"old" ntfs driver) ?
Never answer the question you are asked. Rather, answer the question you wish you had been asked.

- Robert S. McNamara - quoted in "Fog of War" -