Phone tethering 3G/Wifi issues in RASPBMC

2 posts
by davidsandiche » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:59 am
Hi all,

I connected my smartphone in usb tethering mode and connected to my home wifi network to a USB powered hub, and the hub to the Raspberry.
For Debian, a simple
sudo dhclient usb0
worked, and I could explore the internet with Midori.

But with RASPBMC, after exiting the XBMC to a terminal window, those commands didn't work.
I also tryed
sudo ifdown wlan0
sudo ifup usb0

And editing the interfaces document (/etc/network/interfaces), as:
auto usb0
iface usb0 inet dhcp

The strange thing is that I type "ifconfig" I can see an IP address assigned to usb0. Also in System Information, back in XBMC, it says
Link: Connected
IP address: 192.168...
Internet: Not connected. Check network settings

For more details, IP address and Gateway are diferent from the ones used by the smartphone and the ones used for my network.

Will appreciate some advice, what I finally want is to use my RPi usign my phone with 3G or wifi network.
For sure it would be easy to connect an ethernet cable, but, you know...

Thanks in advance
by lrdm » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:46 pm
What do you see when you check dmesg on your Raspberry Pi upon entering USB Tethering mode on your Android device?

I'm running Raspbian but your experience is likely to be the same here. When I activate USB Tethering, the USB subsystem detects the new device and loads the corresponding rndis_host module. This module came with my distribution. When the module loads, it creates the usb0 network device.

Now what I can't seem to recall from having gotten this working late last night was what I was doing in udev and whether creating the following file is necessary. I haven't gotten access to investigate right now.

/etc/udev/rules.d/60-rndis.rules
Code: Select all
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="18d1", RUN+="/sbin/"
The value for SYSFS{idVendor} should equal the idVendor reported in dmesg.