trouble installing gimp (solved)

4 posts
by gasman » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:56 pm
After buying the RPi user guide, I decided to try installing gimp, more as a training exercise than anything else. It is giving errors each time I try. Here is what I am doing. Write a disk with a fresh Raspian using windows image writer. Load it into the Pi. Under raspi-config, expand root partition to fill SD card, and overclock to medium setting. Reboot. Then sudo apt-get install gimp. It then goes through the installation process but throws up a few errors along the way. Then there is no sign of it on the system. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Also can anyone tell me how to paste stuff from the terminal to this forum so that I can show what is going on?
by joan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:02 pm
I hope you have used Gimp before. If not trying to use it on the Pi will give a misleading impression of its capabilities.

Control C (copy) and Control V (paste) should work in a "graphical" environment.

From a text console use shift control C/V.
by Micha1982 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:34 pm
I´ve installed it the same way and it works fine for me...
But I had done some things before and used my RasPi already a few hours! In that time I´ve done some things like sudo apt-get update/upgrade - maybe you should do try update, could this be a reason?
by gasman » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:19 pm
Looks like it was a problem with the sd disc. It worked normally but would give errors when I tried to upgrade or to install gimp. It would update OK and use the installed programs OK. Changed to another disc and it works fine. Thanks for the replies.