playing iso

10 posts
by QuietMike » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:20 am
Hello, i have my Pi all set up, using Raspbmc - it sees my network and desktop computer, i was able to share my media files, most of which are movies and shows stored as .iso files,
the Pi (xbmc) sees all the files but will not play them,
how to i get it to play my iso files

thanks
by ghans » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:10 am
What are they ?
DVD , VCD , SVCD rips ?
Blu-Ray Rips ?

If the former , you need to buy the MPEG2 license.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by QuietMike » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:31 pm
mostly dvd images. ok
it says i need to get the serial number of my unit by using a command in the command line.

now how do i get to a command line from Rasbmc?, when the unit boots it goes right to the xbmc home page?

thank you
by jojopi » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:49 pm
Can xbmc/omxplayer actually play DVD images, even with an MPEG2 license? This requires special support to work out the start sector for specific titles and chapters, and/or support for DVD menus.

You could mount the image and play the VOB files inside (assuming any CSS encryption has been removed), but that is unlikely to be convenient.
by Paul Webster » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:50 pm
Simply SSH in - or if you have keyboard attached you can exit from XBMC hit ESC and issue command from there.
If you search in the forum for mpeg2 you will find detailed instructions.
by QuietMike » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:53 pm
update:
using the mpeg-2 licence, you can play .vob files fine, but still not iso.
hopefully someone can figure it out, or it will be resolved in a raspbmc update.
by ghans » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:54 am
I found this :
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140451
But why ? Isn't the RPi fast enough for demuxing .vob and DeCSS'ing at
the same time ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by itimpi » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:44 am
ghans wrote:I found this :
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140451
But why ? Isn't the RPi fast enough for demuxing .vob and DeCSS'ing at
the same time ?

Not using it's CPU. That is why you need software that is written to offload much of the task to the GPU. It is not simply demuxing that is involved, but also converting the input streams to the correct output audio and video formats.
by jojopi » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:29 am
ghans wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140451
But why ? Isn't the RPi fast enough for demuxing .vob and DeCSS'ing at the same time ?
ISO is not a video container format, but a filesystem (ISO9660) that may or may not contain files that meet the requirements of DVD-Video. ISO images almost never use CSS because on DVD the CSS keys are stored outside the filesystem in a special protected area of the disc. So unless the video is decrypted during ripping, the keys are permanently lost. (In practice CSS is so weak that some players can guess the keys.)

Anyway, that is not the problem. The problem is that playing DVD-Video requires at least the ability to work out where the titles and chapters start and end, and preferably the ability to interpret and render the DVD menus. Apparently XBMC has support for this only in conjunction with software decode, so it does not work on platforms such as the Pi. http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=9559#p9558

You should be able to mount the ISO filesystem using a loop device and then play the VOB files inside. But they are split into 1GiB chunks and generally very awkward to deal with.
by ghans » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:55 am
What are DVD menus anyway ? Video data ?
Can't they be (theoretically) offloaded to the GPU ?

ghans