Getting Brother-Printer drivers to work

30 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by GR-Thunderstorm » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:21 pm
A couple of years ago I purchased a Brother DCP-357c printer and I would like to use it together with my Raspi. I downloaded the drivers from the brother homepage and followed the instructions on this page to install them: http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... prn1a.html

Ofcourse there were complains that the drivers are X86 ones but I ignored them and they got installed any way. Sadly the printer won't work with these.
So please can anyone of you guys tell me what to do now?

Drivers (Cupswrapper and LPR can be found here): http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... l#DCP-353C

Is there a way to modify these drivers to run on an ARM-device? I wanted to use CUPS to modify and use my printer but the necessary drivers were not part of the installation.
by obcd » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:25 pm
If the sources of the drivers are available, you could try to recompile those on the Pi.
I don't think there is another solution to get it running.
by GR-Thunderstorm » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:49 pm
I have tried opening a few files inside the .deb-archive. There are some texts that say, that this program is under GNU-license and may be modified.

I will write a message to Brother and ask if they may send the source files...
by obcd » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:22 pm
Basically, the gnu says that they should provide you the sources if you request for them. It would however suprise me you will have some hearing at a big company like Brother. Good luck with that.
by GR-Thunderstorm » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:28 pm
My bad... :( There is a website to download all the driver sources from!!

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... d_src.html

According to brother the driver for the DCP-353C should work for my printer. It's included in package #3.

I have no clue how to compile source code on the Raspi so can someone please do me the favor? :oops: I need that driver badly.
by armanvp » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:06 am
I have same issue as yours, I got a DCP-J125 printer and also saw that link with the source code. I'm not familiar with CUPS and I read some where that you need to install both the LPR Driver as well as the CUPS Wrapper Driver. It looks like in Brother's website, only the CUPS Wrapper Driver is available. I cannot find the source for the LPR. Hopefully someone will give us a hint on this.
by ghans » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:50 am
Open the file with something like 7zip or 7zip Portable (google it).

If you see a file called "Makefile" try this :

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get  update
apt-get install build-essential

Then in general , you extract the file and change to the directory
containing the extracted files :

./configure
make
make install
make clean

NB: THIS IS ONLY A EXAMPLE . Normally you would read and understand
the README and INSTALL files first.

Therefore i recommend to google and research :

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-tutorials-howtos-reference-material/64958-how-install-software-linux.html
http://www.aboutdebian.com/compile.htm

The README and INSTALL files override , of course , general instructions
like those provided above.

TIP : Post the archive file here , so we can have a look at it.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by GR-Thunderstorm » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:02 pm
I can't find any "makefile"-file inside the tar.gz. :(

ghans wrote: TIP : Post the archive file here , so we can have a look at it.

ghans

I already checked into it... It contains some files written in C and some sort of config together with a licence agreement.

I have attached the tar.gz with the drivers for the DCP-353C and the DCP-J125 that armanvp needs.
Attachments
dcp353.tar.gz
(18.65 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
dcpj125_cupswrapper_GPL_source_1.1.3-1.tar.gz
(21.33 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
by ghans » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:27 pm
I did have a look into these files. I'm not a linux/printing expert ,
but i can tell you this :

I think you should get CUPS up and running first

The archives are both nearly identical and contain a bash script , some kind
of printer description file and a C program. You can compile the program with
"make" because one archive DOES contain a makefile.
In the other case enter "make programname" - the single file will be
compiled by make.

you can try the bash script by issuing
chmod + x scriptname
./scriptname

Perhaps try something like ./scriptname -help or ./scriptname -h or ./scriptname -?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by hmarc » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:50 am
Got the same issue with DCP-7055... can't install the driver.

The .deb CUPS-Wrapper contains a data.tar and control.tar but there is no makefile or something in it, just executable UNIX Binaries
by ghans » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:54 am
Forget the .deb - it only contains binary blobs.
Try installing CUPS first (google ) and lets hope that the other scripts
and code might aid us.

ghans
by GR-Thunderstorm » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:51 pm
I have managed to compile the CUPS-driver from the code on the website. :D Sadly I would need that LPR-driver as well.. :(
Any idea how to solve this?
by bobslaede » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:10 pm
Anything new on this?
by bugmenot3 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:26 am
Hi there,

I've been interested on making my printers work on the Rpi and have the same printer as you. By checking the different files in the *.debs brother provides, I've found that several of them are binary blobs compiled for i386 ( 32-bit arch) so these will not work on arm. As Brother seems to only provides the free part of their install script in the sources archives, I think our only solution from there is to reverse engineer these binaries, which might not be legal, or find a close enough model with drivers included in CUPS...

An other solution would be to use a wrapper to run x86 code on arm...
by derPhil » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:31 pm
Hi all,

while trying to use my Brother DCP-7055 with PI as a printing server w/ cups, I stumbled over this thread and it helped me to understand my problem (drivers not working due to the different architectures). On http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/faq_prn.html#5 I found that most Brother laser printers should work with the HL-1250 ppd and it works like a charm!

I hope I spare somebody else the time I've spent with searching the net :)

Cheers,
Phil
by ripperle » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:34 pm
is there anything new on this Problem?

i want to get my dcp135c to Run!

i tried almost everything :(

i can install the lpd an the cups Driver with the force Option. If i want to print a testpage on cups weppage the Job will Be sent and complite but nothing happens with the hardware
by Juanchito » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:31 pm
Well I just got a Brother DCP-7010 running and proceeded like this:

First installed CUPS

Here I encountered some problems configuring it to allow remote administration. For me it worked by combining http://claw.triple6.org/linux/scan-und-printserver-einrichten-raspberry-pi/?lang=de and the cupsctl commands described here http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/CUPS .
The first site is in German, but I simply replaced the complete cupsd.config with what is in Spoiler1 and restarted cups as described. Than I did
$ cupsctl --remote-admin

I think my Problem was, that I didn't deactivate ssd using only cupsctl and by only editing cupsd.conf in the described manner one does not allow remote administration.

Afterwards I followed point 6 on this page to install drivers:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/faq_prn.html#f00090

Edit: It is the fith point: I'm finding it difficult to install the printer driver. http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/faq_prn.html#f00104

I finished logging on via Webbrowser and added the printer in remote administration mode. It was just the recomended standard values from thereon and -tata- i could prin a test page.

Edit: The printer installed via the force option had to be removed, as it didn't print the testpage.

Hope this helps, cheers
Last edited by Juanchito on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by mro » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:27 pm
Hi Juanchito,
Brother was so kind to change it's website since your post and now there's now more anchor #f00090.

Can you be more verbose about what you did to make the printer work?

Thanks a lot,
M
by razberry » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:43 am
Hi,

I have the same problem with my Brother MFC-260C. I installed CUPS without any problem, but cannot find the needed drivers in the printer configuration. When I install the drivers from the Brother-Website (I know, it's the wrong architecture), I can setup the printer, but its not possible to print something.

The idea was to use my Pi as some kind of printer/scanner-server.
by Juanchito » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:46 pm
Hi Guys,

Funny thing is, the description still is there, but actually it is the fifth bullet point on the page, but someone screwd up the layouting and it is marked as sixth point of the preceeding topic. So follow the link and click on I'm finding it difficult to install the printer driver or use this link http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/faq_prn.html#f00104

Hope this works now.

Good Luck,
Juanchito
by elekis » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:19 am
Hi all,

I have the same trouble than you, I try to have printer/scanner server with a dcp-J315w but impossible to install it in my raspberry.

I tried the link but no test page is out

I have this message
root@carla:/home/elekis# bash linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.4-1 Brother machine name

wget http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html
You are going to install following packages.
   dcp110clpr-1.0.2-1.i386.deb
   cupswrapperDCP110C-1.0.2-3.i386.deb
OK? [y/N] ->y

dpkg -x dcp110clpr-1.0.2-1.i386.deb /
dpkg -x cupswrapperDCP110C-1.0.2-3.i386.deb /
dpkg-deb: building package `dcp110clpr' in `dcp110clpr-1.0.2-1a.i386.deb'.
dpkg -b ./brother_driver_packdir dcp110clpr-1.0.2-1a.i386.deb
dpkg-deb: building package `cupswrapperdcp110c' in `cupswrapperDCP110C-1.0.2-3a.i386.deb'.
dpkg -b ./brother_driver_packdir cupswrapperDCP110C-1.0.2-3a.i386.deb
dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
 package architecture (i386) does not match system (armhf)
(Reading database ... 92215 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace dcp110clpr 1.0.2-1 (using dcp110clpr-1.0.2-1a.i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement dcp110clpr ...
Setting up dcp110clpr (1.0.2-1) ...
mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/spool/lpd/DCP110C': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `/var/spool/lpd/DCP110C': No such file or directory
chgrp: cannot access `/var/spool/lpd/DCP110C': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/var/spool/lpd/DCP110C': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link `/usr/lib/libbrcompij2.so.1.0': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link `/usr/lib/libbrcompij2.so.1': File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link `/usr/lib/libbrcompij2.so': File exists
dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
 package architecture (i386) does not match system (armhf)
(Reading database ... 92215 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace cupswrapperdcp110c 1.0.2-3 (using cupswrapperDCP110C-1.0.2-3a.i386.deb) ...
Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd.
Unpacking replacement cupswrapperdcp110c ...
Setting up cupswrapperdcp110c (1.0.2-3) ...
rm -f /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperDCP110C
Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd.
Will you specify the Device URI? [y/N] ->y

0: socket
1: ipps
2: hp
3: lpd
4: ipp
5: https
6: http
7: smb
8: dnssd://Brother%20DCP-J315W._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/
9: beh
10: dnssd://Brother%20DCP-J315W._printer._tcp.local/
11: hpfax
12 (I): Specify IP address.
select the number of destination Device URI. ->10

lpadmin -p DCP110C -v dnssd://Brother%20DCP-J315W._printer._tcp.local/ -E
Test Print? [y/N] ->y

wait 5s.
lpr -P DCP110C /usr/share/cups/data/testprint
root@carla:/home/elekis#

I tried also the 9 option but nothing is printed.
and when I tape lprstat -p I have this error

root@carla:/home/elekis# lpstat -p
printer Brother_DCP-J315W is idle.  enabled since Sat 03 Aug 2013 08:39:17 UTC
        File "/usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperdcpj315w" not available: No such file or directory
printer DCP110C now printing DCP110C-8.  enabled since Sat 03 Aug 2013 09:18:14 UTC
root@carla:/home/elekis#

any idea. thanks

a+
by elekis » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:38 pm
ok,

I installed the good driver by passing the name to bash linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.4-1 (without parameter).

I installed the printer in cups but when I try to print a page test, nothing out.

i have this message

/usr/lib/cups/filter/commandtops failed

any idea
by Freibeuter » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:10 am
Hi there!

Just registered because I am having the same problems as you :cry:
As I want my RPi to work as an AirPrint-Server it would be great to get my Brother-Printer (DCP-540cn) to work.
Here is what I already tried and the results:
At first I downloaded the .deb-Files from the Brother-homepage. Of course they do not work, as they are compiled for i386-architecture and not for RISC-CPUs.
After a bit of googleing I found this thread and some person here linked to the Brother-homepage where I was able to find the source-code of the driver for my printer. So I downloaded it and used the bash-script to install. No errors - great! So I went to the CUPS of my Pi in order to set up my Printer. The first thing I noticed was, that two printers were found with the same name. One of them with "pdl-datastream" in URL and one withe "printer". I tried both with the installed driver for my DCP-540cn but none of them printed my Testpage. I didn´t even get an error from cups, it just didn´t print.
So I read further through this thread and found that post from Juanchito with the hint of that nice little script from Brother that should make installing the printer easier. So I downloaded an ran this script, but I realised that it downloaded the precompiled i386-packages for my printer. I don´t know what it did else, but as I read in his post, it worked for him. So I went on. At the end of the script it allowed my to print a testpage and so I did. But my printer again didn´t.
This is what I tried so far. I have no clue how to go on and finally get my printer working.
Has anybody an idea what I did wrong or what I forgot to do?

Thank you very much!
Greetings from Bavaria,
Freibeuter
by fotastisch » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:10 pm
Hey there!

I'm trying to hook up my Pi with a Brother MFC-J6510DW, but it just doesn't work.
Has someone had any luck using a Brother device?

Cheers!
by 1pi2much » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:45 pm
fotastisch wrote:Hey there!

I'm trying to hook up my Pi with a Brother MFC-J6510DW, but it just doesn't work.
Has someone had any luck using a Brother device?

Cheers!

I have a Brother Laser Printer HL-2040 series which works fine through CUPS.
I dont remember exactly what I did, but the exact model was not listed, I had to
pick something close and it worked. The MFC s are more tricky I guess.

--