Wired Network Not Working When USB HUB Connected (solved)

15 posts
by b.beacroft » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:46 pm
Hi
When I Plug in my powered USB Hub (DLink DUB-H7, EUBH7BB......B1E) and i am running the GUI/Startx my network just drops, or is very very slow, if i unplug my HUB and just use the 2 USB ports on the Pi it works fine, it also works fine in the comand line when using the USB Hub. The only time it drops out is when i used startx to start the GUI and i have the USB Hub Plugged in.

Current OS is Raspbian “wheezy” version 2012-07-15

Any Help Would Be Appreciated

Thanks Billy
BillyAB
Just another young geek.
And proud of it.
billyab.co.uk
twitter.com/b_beacro
by Jim JKla » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:50 pm
Sounds like some sort of wiring problem with your hub or somthing connected pulling the voltage down.

The ethernet and USB share a chip on the RPi B
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick
by drgeoff » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:50 pm
by jackokring » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:58 pm
sudo netstat | tee > netstat.list
Pi=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock. https://sites.google.com/site/rubikcompression/strictly-long
by bfromcolo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:26 pm
I am having the same issue. Everything works fine with the keyboard and mouse connected directly, but if I connect them to a powered hub the wired ethernet connection slows to a crawl or fails out right. I have read dozens of threads about this on various forums, but no apparent solutions.
by vinntec » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:18 am
This problem is on the Wiki as an official "bug" - see http://elinux.org/RPi_Bugs - and a solution is available by making a special cable for the powered hub->RPi connection to stop it sending power to it. There is also a known problem with the USB driver, and I am waiting for outcome of this before cutting wires as I personally can live with this for the time being by letting RPi see WIndows disk and vice versa to cover backup and storage needs (using Samba). Peter
by b.beacroft » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:28 am
vinntec wrote:This problem is on the Wiki as an official "bug" - see http://elinux.org/RPi_Bugs - and a solution is available by making a special cable for the powered hub->RPi connection to stop it sending power to it.

Thanks Peter. How do i make this cable, or what do i need to make it?

Thanks
Billy
BillyAB
Just another young geek.
And proud of it.
billyab.co.uk
twitter.com/b_beacro
by vinntec » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:21 am
b.beacroft wrote:Thanks Peter. How do i make this cable, or what do i need to make it?
Thanks
Billy

Billy - I think it is just a standard cable which you get into and either cut wires to some of the pins or tape over the pins somehow. I haven't tried it myself, but there are pictures on the link on what is needed?
by b.beacroft » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:26 am
vinntec wrote:Billy - I think it is just a standard cable which you get into and either cut wires to some of the pins or tape over the pins somehow. I haven't tried it myself, but there are pictures on the link on what is needed?

Thanks i will give it a try at somepoint
BillyAB
Just another young geek.
And proud of it.
billyab.co.uk
twitter.com/b_beacro
by bfromcolo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:39 pm
I tried the suggested solution, cutting the +5 from the hub to the RPi. However this resulted in an inability to communicate with any device attached to the hub.
by fredjam » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:03 pm
If you only cut the red wire then this should not stop your hub working unless the mains
power supply to the hub is not supplying power.

Many hubs are set up so that they can work as non powered hubs (with no mains supply connected).
In this case the hub takes its power from the pi's usb bus. Cutting the red wire stops the hub working
as an non powered hub but if you have a mains supply connected and switched on the hub should
work as a powered hub so check the mains supply.. Also check that the two cut end of the red wire
are not touching anything else (put some tape over them) as this could short out the usb bus.
by bfromcolo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:12 pm
fredjam wrote:If you only cut the red wire then this should not stop your hub working unless the mains power supply to the hub is not supplying power.

I cut only the red wire in a USB extension cable that was connected to the RPi, and all devices on the hub were inaccessible. I was planning to make a short adapter with the extension cable if it worked. The hub was powered up. I verified the other 3 wires with a multimeter.

A question on this issue, if the ethernet is disconnected are there still issues with multiple devices on USB? If I could plug a wifi adapter into the hub and not be tethered to the one spot in my house that has a cable I'd be happier. Guess I'll try that next.
by vinntec » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:25 pm
vinntec wrote:Billy - I think it is just a standard cable which you get into and either cut wires to some of the pins or tape over the pins somehow. I haven't tried it myself, but there are pictures on the link on what is needed?

The first reference is http://elinux.org/Rpi_USB_check-list number 4 which links to viewtopic.php?p=100459#p100459 which shows what is needed. I will be trying to make sense of it myself tomorrow as I want to fire up a USB [powered] hard disk. Peter
by b.beacroft » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:23 am
I Solved this problem by taping over the far left pin the ground.
I tried the far right +5v but for this hub in particular it required some power from the device to switch between high power charging (it has 2 ports at the end which when the PC is turned off it supplies more power to charge devices) and normal use so that did not work.
It now works when the ground pin is covered, thought it best not to cut cables, so thanks everyone.
If you have any more questions about what I did don't hesitate to ask
Billy
BillyAB
Just another young geek.
And proud of it.
billyab.co.uk
twitter.com/b_beacro
by simg » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:28 pm
After lots of messing around, getting a 2 Amp power supply solved this problem immediately. 8-)