Rainbow Screen

6 posts
by juiceforfun » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:17 pm
Hello all,

First off, I know people don't like new threads but I have gone two weeks now searching threads and not getting any results, so I figured it was time.

What is happening is that I turn the RPi on (I have the raspbian wheezy OS) and the rainbow screen appears and then nothing happens. I have tried downloading a different start.elf file since that is what the wiki recommends. I use windows and I just copied and pasted the new one in there, renamed it, and deleted the old one. I wasn't sure if I had to use the windiskbinary thing just for one file. Anyways, I know the power supply is fine since on occasion I get the linux dialogue screen. I am using a 16GB PNY class 6 card. Please help. And please be clear because I don't really understand a lot of the technical stuff.

Thanks
by dom » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:11 am
Raspberry Pi Engineer
Raspberry Pi Engineer
by juiceforfun » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:32 pm
Ya I looked there but I don't understand where to get the new kernel.img or how to properly install it on the sd card....
by Jim JKla » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:43 pm
Re-name your downloaded file and try again also look for the earlier Wheezy image the Beta.

The fact that you sometimes get the dialogue does not rule out a power supply issue although it is less likely.

There is some stuff aimed at noob support in the wiki the following link should help

http://elinux.org/RPi_Noob_Guides_for_Wheezy_using_2012-16-18_beta

Consider the blind login with your RPi connected only to power and ethernet (no screen).

I have tried to keep these wiki pages as noob friendly as I can to the point where they may seem to be patronising. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick
by BenWiley4000 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:10 pm
Hey! I've been using Debian Squeeze for several months and I just got this issue for the first time. I think it was a firmware update.

So I replaced the kernel.img with the one from an older backup I had which works. But I still have the same rainbow screen.

What else could be wrong?

Ben
by BenWiley4000 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:07 pm
Not sure which file did the trick, and it might be that I downloaded the latest kernel.img and not the old one (shouldn't have made a difference I don't think, but ok...). I replaced arm192_start.elf, arm224_start.elf, start.elf, kernel.img, and kernel_cutdown.img with the latest versions. works