Install Flash Player Debian Squeeze (cannot work)

10 posts
by baxio » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:58 am
Hi,

I'm trying to install the Adobe Flash Player plugin on Debian Squeeze. The instructions say to copy libflashplayer.so to the browsers plugin folder, so I've tried copying it to /user/lib/midori , but it says I don't have permisson to paste the file here.

I'm asuming this is a user permission issue, and I need root level access, but I'm not that familiar with Linux. How do I get this file into this folder please?

Thanks

Dan
by stevepdp » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:22 am
You would need to jump to the command line and run something to the effect of:

Code: Select all
sudo mv libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/midori/

However, Adobe Flash is unsupported on the Raspberry Pi, so it will not work. Assuming that it's YouTube videos that you're interested in (it's a typical use case for Flash) you could perhaps look into the youtube-dl script and pump the downloaded files through omxplayer?
I'm not a part of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, I'm just an enthusiastic fan.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by baxio » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:06 am
When you say unsupported do you mean that it might work but no one can give tech support as it's unlikely to work, or it flat out doesn't work full stop?

Yeah, it's mainly for YouTube videos (I want to use my Raspberry Pi to play video and music files on the TV in my bedroom as well as stream YouTube videos to it), but a good chunk of content on the internet uses flash.

I will give the software you posted a go.

Thanks,

Dan
by itimpi » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:37 am
baxio wrote:When you say unsupported do you mean that it might work but no one can give tech support as it's unlikely to work, or it flat out doesn't work full stop?

It does not work!

It might work if it was specifically compiled and optimized for the Pi, but since it is closed source and Adobe have abandoned flash that is not going to happen.
by stevepdp » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:42 am
baxio wrote:When you say unsupported do you mean that it might work but no one can give tech support as it's unlikely to work, or it flat out doesn't work full stop?

My understanding is that Flash for mobile has been discontinued, and they've never supported the Raspberry Pi's SoC.

Despite popular opinion, developers are moving to HTML5 and related technologies for rich content. For YouTube, you can actually enable HTML5 video by visiting this page, but note that it probably isn't functioning well on the Pi *yet*.

So yes, the best option right now is to give youtube-dl a try. I believe there are also YouTube plugins for the XBMC distributions which may be an avenue worth investigating.
I'm not a part of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, I'm just an enthusiastic fan.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by crazy4chrissi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:41 am
Well, it is not completely true that it is completely impossible to play Flash on the Raspberry Pi. In fact it works using gnash. See my blog post for details:
http://blog.christosoft.de/2012/08/flash-on-the-raspberry-pi/
Problem is just that it is so slow (at the moment) that it is mostly unusable.
by Genius23008 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:41 pm
It is possible to get a faster, even more compatible version of Flash on the Raspberry Pi - has anybody tried installing the Android version? That could work, although I'm not completely sure whether it's possible without modifying anything. If anybody had a way to convert .apk to .deb, I'm listening. But until then, it looks like we'll be stuck with the Flash for full, computer processors (if you get what I mean). It is possible to stream Youtube from XBMC, though.
by ghans » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:25 pm
Note that most Android flash versions are tied to a specific GPU
and therefore not portable at all.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by CalvinS » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:10 pm
Try sudo apt-get install iceweasel browser-plugin-gnash
by Genius23008 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:18 pm
The gnash player might be better. To be honest, I use Java and DirectX to play games, and only in a while I use flash. I really only use flash for YouTube. HTML5 is approaching, so I'd really forget flash for now. Just to say, Apple iDevices can stream YouTube, so that, in my opinion, would be the best way to get videos working (I know that it's already done in XBMC).