Faulty Pi?

24 posts
by danbee » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:01 pm
My Raspberry Pi arrived last week, but it's taken until this weekend to get all the bits together. Finally got it booting the Debian image from a 4GB Samsung SD card.

It boots all the way in and is usable, but after a while the screen shuts off and the Pi stops responding. Powering off and on again works and boots up again, but then it will just shut the screen off and stop responding again after another while.

I've checked the voltages from the USB power input and it's reading about 4.85V under normal operation, a little low but I don't think it should be a problem.

Is my Pi faulty or is there something else I should be checking?
by danbee » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:25 pm
I should add that I've tried with both a 1A power supply and a 2.1A supply (the latter being an iPad charger). Same result.
by eben » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:23 pm
When the screen goes blank, are you still able to ping the Pi from a remote machine? If so, it's possible you may need to adjust the HDMI drive strength (search for config_hdmi_boost for more info on this).
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
by faustino » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:40 pm
Mine has the same behavior, and after the black screen it stops responding to pings from network.
When connected to a TV via composite if it shows the color square with colors and the raspberry logo in colors it will fail in less then 2 or 3 minutes going black, if from start everything is in grey colors it will work for even 4 hours, i've tried debian, archlinux, openelec and the behavior is always the same:
- first time in color it stops after less then 2 minutes;
- second time just pull the microusb connector and plug it again now it works in grey colors.
Do you know what can put the grey colors via composite?

TIA
by texy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:28 pm
Composite output from the pi is NTSC (US TV) by default not PAL (UK). If your TV does not support NTSC then it shows grey
apparently. Not sure if any if that is relevant however!
Texy
"2.8inch TFT LCD + Touch screen" add-on boards for sale here :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=65566
50p goes to the Foundation ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by faustino » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:34 pm
I've added the sdtv_mode=2 in my config.txt so it's not that problem, also because the first time of the day i boot it has colors the 2nd time it has grey colors after failling.
by SliceOpi » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:18 pm
danbee wrote:It boots all the way in and is usable, but after a while the screen shuts off and the Pi stops responding. Powering off and on again works and boots up again, but then it will just shut the screen off and stop responding again after another while.

Mine does the same thing- sometimes before the login and even as long as after I've had time to load up google.com and Farcebook. It wouldn't run longer than, say, 5 minutes or so, even with no peripherals. A majority of the time, it hasn't had any time to heat up at all, so I've discounted that as the issue. Whatever the cause, I've had since last Tuesday to become super frustrated with it and have given up.
I've contacted Newark and they gave me my RMA number, but it's not going back to UPS until tomorrow, so I'll have to wait for the replacement a bit still. :cry:
I have hope though. There seem to be plenty of folks around with a perfectly functioning Pi out there, so I know it can be had!
by danbee » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:10 pm
Right, I've had this plugged in with a network cable for nearly an hour now and it hasn't crashed! Typical… I'll post back if it happens again.
by KnightInd2000 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:53 pm
I've had the same thing. Run's for about 2 minutes and then goes off.
I've tried both HDMI and composite, 3 different SD cards, 2 different chargers, 2 different USB cables to a powered hub and with or without a keyboard &/ mouse.
Only 1 thing fixes it; changing it for the second Pi that came from RS!!!
This second Pi run's with all of the above apart from 1 of the USB cables (which was a thin Nokia one so this wasn't a big surprise).

This was such a relief because, believe me, I know the frustration of having a faulty Pi after such a long wait. You convince yourself it can be fixed and it’s something you’ve done wrong – or attached something that’s not compatible. Maybe you should consider that it's actually a faulty one. Mine's going back to Farnell !!!
by SliceOpi » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:05 pm
KnightInd2000 wrote:I've had the same thing. Run's for about 2 minutes and then goes off.
I've tried both HDMI and composite, 3 different SD cards, 2 different chargers, 2 different USB cables to a powered hub and with or without a keyboard &/ mouse.
Only 1 thing fixes it; changing it for the second Pi that came from RS!!!
This second Pi run's with all of the above apart from 1 of the USB cables (which was a thin Nokia one so this wasn't a big surprise).

This was such a relief because, believe me, I know the frustration of having a faulty Pi after such a long wait. You convince yourself it can be fixed and it’s something you’ve done wrong – or attached something that’s not compatible. Maybe you should consider that it's actually a faulty one. Mine's going back to Farnell !!!

You have given me even more hope. Thank you. :) Mine is on its way back via RMA then the replacement will be swiftly sent my way hopefully.
by b455x » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:21 am
I'm having the exact same problem, my Pi just powers off...

I already sent an Email to Farnell, still waiting for an answer!
Guess my Pi will have to go all the way back from Germany....

That's really frustrating after such a long time of waiting :-(
probably it's a sign from the universe, telling me better to work for university instead of playing with a linux computer
by faustino » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:46 am
b455x wrote:I'm having the exact same problem, my Pi just powers off...

I already sent an Email to Farnell, still waiting for an answer!
Guess my Pi will have to go all the way back from Germany....

That's really frustrating after such a long time of waiting :-(
probably it's a sign from the universe, telling me better to work for university instead of playing with a linux computer

Can you try it in an old tv via composite? TO see if it works with grey colors after first problem. Don't forget the sdtv_mode=2 in config.txt if your tv isn't ntsc capable

Tia
by RKD » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:43 pm
This sounds very much like the problem that I have at the moment with my Pi. I have given up trying to fix it or diagnose the cause, and I am going to ask for a replacement from RS. This seems like a common production fault looking at the number of posts on this subject. Have a look at this thread on the forum for more info:- viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5693
by ElApe » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:50 pm
Received my RasPi this morning from RS, along with a recommended transcend card, a mains PSU and a new HDMI lead.

First problem was that the supplied PSU is a euro style cant find an adapter anywhere! Hunted round the house for a 700ma charger and finally found a 700ma Samsung unit.

Imaged Debian onto the disk, plugged everything in, flicked the power switch bright red LED, nice flashing green LED, text scrolling up the screen and then it all went blank. Tried turning it off and on again and just got a glaringly red LED burning out my retinas. Basically spent the whole day, burning different distro's, reading threads on here and getting frustrated.

I had a hunch it was a poor solder issue which others had observed and held it near a low energy light bulb for a few seconds just to get some warmth in the board.

Plugged it back in and away it went and has been running fine for the last few hours now, long enough for me to fully update the distro, kernel and get some apps installed.

From the issues others have had it clearly seems to me that there is a serious manufacturing problem with this batch. I am now torn as to whether I try to arrange a replacement or just try to live with it in this state.
by KnightInd2000 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:29 pm
Following on from my post yesterday, I rang Farnell at 7:30 last night and they said that I could send it back and await a refund but if I wanted a replacement I had to pay for it again by credit card there and then. They did say they had some spare stock in case of problematic units so I wouldn't have to go to the back of the queue (phew!).
Anyway, the good news is that a nice chap from UPS arrived at 10am this morning and took away my dodgy Pi and gave me my new replacement! Now that's good service. :D Even better, it's running like a dream (well, so far - which is about 30mins, but that's far longer than the old one ever ran).
I just hope I get my refund okay. I will let you know.
by liz » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:27 pm
Excellent news. They may be sending us the faulty one - we'll see if we can find out what was up with it and let you know if they do.
--
Head of Comms, Raspberry Pi Foundation
by SliceOpi » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:42 pm
That's great news Liz. :) Since so many people have had this same issue, it will be nice to find out exactly what is causing this...computer frustration is terrible!
by faustino » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:05 pm
I would love to know what is causing image corruption and subsequent lack of colors in my pi.
by faustino » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:01 am
by CocodaMonkey » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:28 am
@SliceOpi: DId you have to do something special to get an RMA number from Newark? I've got the exact same problem and I've been trying to get an RMA number from them since last friday (June 8th). So far I haven't had any luck and they insist on communicating by fax which is very annoying.
by SliceOpi » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:37 am
I called customer service and the person I spoke with said that they have a specific person dealing with Pi problems:his name is Jason and he was great. His email is jsolinger@newark.com if I recall correctly. Just specify your issues and he should get back to you pretty quickly. :)
by CocodaMonkey » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:55 pm
Thanks for the help with the warrenty. Sent him an email and he gave some amazing service. It's literally been less than 24 hours since I first emailed him and I'm already using my replacement Pi and it works great. No more of this random crashing within the first five minutes.
by SliceOpi » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:35 pm
Good to hear! I finally put through the replacement order today so I should be getting it in the next few days. Cant wait!
by rpituts » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:08 pm
eben wrote: eben when i load up geany and select a language geany closes - rpituts.