Quake III

72 posts   Page 3 of 3   1, 2, 3
by neilhza » Fri May 11, 2012 8:08 am
I get Quake III to execute fine, but when I load up a game and enter a level I get no reaction from mouse movement or keyboard keys. The mouse-click is recognised so as long as other players wander in front of my cross-hair then I'm golden. Anyone had this problem, or got some advice? They're both MS usb peripherals.
by EarthlyPangaea » Sun May 13, 2012 2:31 am
I'm trying to get Q3 compiled from the RPi github. When I execute it, all I get is a black screen. The system locks up and I have to reboot.

So far I cloned the github quake 3 directory, compiled it on my Raspberry Pi, installed the SDL libraries from the repos, copied the demo files to /root/.q3a/baseq3 (because that's where ioquake3 wanted them, I think) and made a new start.sh file pointing it to my SDL libraries, namely LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib. Then I run start.sh, and get the blank screen. Can anyone help?

EDIT: I forgot to include that I also used rpi-updater to use the 128MB/128MB split.
by AFineTapestry » Mon May 14, 2012 8:20 pm
Successfully got Quake 3 running last night but what kind of frames have people been achieving? The best I could get out of it was about 50fps which is will short of the 120fps posted on the RasPi frontpage.
Also, has anyone managed to get it running in 1080p?
by P1TH0N_PH4N » Sun May 20, 2012 6:51 pm
AFineTapestry wrote:Successfully got Quake 3 running last night but what kind of frames have people been achieving? The best I could get out of it was about 50fps which is will short of the 120fps posted on the RasPi frontpage.
Also, has anyone managed to get it running in 1080p?

Have run it in 1080p, is very nice, im not sure about frame rates though, i reckon i was getting closer to around 90 on a 52" plasma screen, try pointing a fan at your pi, it might be getting a little hot.
by arnohr » Sun May 20, 2012 8:55 pm
Hey guys!

Since Friday I'm happy owner of my new "toy".

At the moment I'm trying to get Quake 3 on Arch Linux to work. But when I start it from the shell, I get the error message:

./ioquake3.arm: error while loading shared libraries: libbcm_host.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file ore directory

I've searched the libbcm_host.so file and found it at three different places. An idea where problem might be?
by Ogoshi » Sun May 20, 2012 9:30 pm
arnohr wrote:Hey guys!

Since Friday I'm happy owner of my new "toy".

At the moment I'm trying to get Quake 3 on Arch Linux to work. But when I start it from the shell, I get the error message:

./ioquake3.arm: error while loading shared libraries: libbcm_host.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file ore directory

I've searched the libbcm_host.so file and found it at three different places. An idea where problem might be?

Not too sure what that would mean, I followed the steps on this website and had no issues

myraspberrypiexperience.blogspot.co.uk/p/quake3.html
by AFineTapestry » Sun May 20, 2012 9:36 pm
arnohr wrote:I've searched the libbcm_host.so file and found it at three different places. An idea where problem might be?

You need to add "`pwd`/libs" to the end of LD_LIBRARY_PATH so it can find the correct shared objects.

There is a script called ./start but this executes it as root which is unnecessary.

Code: Select all
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:"`pwd`/libs" && ./ioquake3.arm

would work much better.

Sorry for the sloppy reply, finals tomorrow.
by arnohr » Mon May 21, 2012 7:59 am
@Ogoshi
I used the same Howto as you. But I think you are using Debian, are you? I use Arch Linux, and there must be some differences that cause my problem.

@AFineTapestry
Ok, I will try it this afternoon.

For my understanding, the variable $LD_LIBRARY_PATH is loaded with the value "/PATH/TO/MY/Q3Folder/libs", isn't it? But the file libbcm_host.so is not present there.
by AFineTapestry » Mon May 21, 2012 12:55 pm
Oh, of course sorry. I didn't have my Pi booted and I'd assumed that libbcm_host.so came with quake.

Did you recompile Quake for Arch or use the binaries Hexxeh provided?

The binaries may? work on other linux systems but they were compiled on debian and so you shouldn't expect them to work.

You could recompile quake for Arch and then I would assume it would just work. Or you could just try add the location of each of the copies of libbcm_host.so to LD_LIBRARY_PATH in order and see if they work. The worst thing that will happen is that is can't find a symbol hardly the end of the world.

Hope this helps, Jon.
by arnohr » Mon May 21, 2012 1:12 pm
I used the binaries from Hexxeh.

Ok, first I will try to copy the libbcm_host.so into the Quake3 lib folder. If that will not work I try to recompile Quake.

Thank you for your help!
by arnohr » Wed May 23, 2012 7:47 am
Ok, I think I need to recompile it. The start script modification changed nothing.
by simonlc » Wed May 23, 2012 7:14 pm
I'm also missing libbcm_host.so on Arch. When I try to compile, I get the error:
Code: Select all
sys_main.c:(.text.startup+0xc): undefined reference to `bcm_host_init'

Edit, seems this is part of the raspberry pi tool chain? I'm not sure how to use this, nor if I'm supposed to cross compile, or run install it on the raspi somehow.
by arnohr » Fri May 25, 2012 10:59 am
I tried it again with a fresh copy of the debian image and it works perfectly.
This weekend I'll try to compile it on Arch and hopefully I'll get it to work.

Cheers!
by Patrik » Wed May 30, 2012 8:47 am
EarthlyPangaea wrote:I'm trying to get Q3 compiled from the RPi github. When I execute it, all I get is a black screen.
. . .

Same here.
Previously I tried Quake III and it worked great, but now I only get a black screen when I start it.
I've changed nothing on the system and I only used rpi-update.

So what could be the problem?
by Dapa » Wed May 30, 2012 9:06 am
Boreatton Scouts wrote:Hi - loaded it all up and can launch it (thanks Tass!), but no sound (several have mentioned this - I guess this is ongoing?). Also, as I dont have a CD, I can only load demo levels, and I can't load any bots?? bit lonely in the halls... Do the demo levels let you do anything?

If you check the messages you get (in the SSH console - at least) you should see it warning that it can't find certain WAV sound effect files locally. What I don't know (as yet) is if it'll play them, if they exist. Does anyone else know?
by Patrik » Wed May 30, 2012 8:47 pm
Patrik wrote:
EarthlyPangaea wrote:I'm trying to get Q3 compiled from the RPi github. When I execute it, all I get is a black screen.
. . .

Same here.
Previously I tried Quake III and it worked great, but now I only get a black screen when I start it.
I've changed nothing on the system and I only used rpi-update.

So what could be the problem?

Okay, so I tried it with a fresh Debian install and it worked, but after the update I only get the black screen.
by Bungle » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:53 pm
Boreatton Scouts wrote:Hi - loaded it all up and can launch it (thanks Tass!), but no sound (several have mentioned this - I guess this is ongoing?). Also, as I dont have a CD, I can only load demo levels, and I can't load any bots?? bit lonely in the halls... Do the demo levels let you do anything?

Perhaps a google search for a cd key might find you one, and perhaps then you can play multiplayer online...........but who knows! ;)
by simonlc » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:03 pm
Bungle wrote:

Perhaps a google search for a cd key might find you one, and perhaps then you can play multiplayer online...........but who knows! ;)

You can purchase Quake 3 on steam to obtain a CD key. Many online servers don't require a valid key anymore, and to bypass the CD key menu, you just need to enter a key of all 7's or all 3's.
by newcomer » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:12 am
Hello
I have just started working in linux, hence i would really appreciate a detailed reply. I have downloaded the source code of QuakeIII and have been able to install it using the make command. After that when I run the binary ioq3ded.i386(present in trunk/build/release-linux-i386), I get the following error:

ioq3 1.36 linux-i386 Jul 30 2012
No SSE support on this machine
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
/home/a.nataratzan/.q3a/baseq3
./baseq3
./baseq3/pak0.pk3 (1387 files)

----------------------
1387 files in pk3 files

WARNING: baseq3/pak0.pk3 is present but its checksum (2985612116)
is not correct. Please re-copy pak0.pk3 from your
legitimate Q3 CDROM.

Point Release files are missing. Please re-install the 1.32 point release. Also check that your ioq3 executable is in the correct place and that every file in the "baseq3" directory is present and readable

Can someone please tell me the stepwise, exactly what, am i supposed to do to run QuakeIII.
by matbos » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:02 pm
I have a problem:

When i run ./start.sh everything seems to be working fine but then it stops at this spot:

WARNING: Couldn't bind to a v6 ip address.
Opening IP socket: 0.0.0.0:27960
by Hans Olo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:26 pm
matbos, Did you every find a solution? I've tried several guides to get quake running but I get a black screen that needs a reboot to clear. The last messages outputted to the terminal are the same as yours.
by Awesomeness » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:50 am
to Matbos and Hans Olo: I have the exact same problem. I did not find a solution yet. If anybody has an idea, please let me know.
My pi is not connected to the internet. I have no means of connecting it yet. Is that the problem?