Few Problems with my Pie

4 posts
by Foxxy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:49 pm
Hey,
First off all, I'm new here, Hope to learn more about the raspberry and develop things,

I'm Network administrator and pentester, I got some problems with My RPI

1) When I connect to SSH and getting package (sudo apt-get install nmap etc...)
Its Crashed and disconnect me from the SSH, I need to disconnect the micro usb cable and connect it back to work with it again..

2) I'm trying to install PwnPi Distro, I got black screen, tried versus times on versus SD Cards,
Dosen't seem to work, What could It be? Only "Wheezy" works to me.
I installed it on linux and on wndows with Images Writer.

Please Help me guys, thanks in advance!
by hunternet93 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:39 am
For your first problem:
You should make sure your power supply outputs enough amps. The rating should be on a label on the device and should be >1 amp for most uses. Sometimes the ethernet chip drops the connection when it can't get enough power.

I don't have any experience with PwnPi, so I can't help you there.
by Vindicator » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:26 am
I believe Nmap tries to reset your network connection while it is loading and that may be the cause of your loss of connection I would try a direct attachment to a monitor instead ssh, and going direct also will give you error messages that you will not see with ssh after it disconnects.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.
by ausserirdischegesund » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:25 am
@Vindicator: He does not want to start nmap but install it, which should work fine. Actually running nmap should work fine too.

I think it most likely is a power supply problem. Software-wise I've been upgrading lots and lots of Debian systems per ssh, never had a serious problem in 10+ years.

So I think either one of the usual "underpowered phone charger" problems, or a USB problem. If the problem persists with USB peripherials unplugged, then it is most likely power.

I had Ethernet problems too (look for the thread if you want), and getting a better power supply seems to have cured it, no Ethernet hang in 3 days on the computer, and now on a Samsung 1A power supply I bought, it seems to work fine as well. Also use a good (and short) power cable.