Rubbish read speeds

3 posts
by Andrewc2102 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:49 pm
To start yes i know the raspberry pi is never going to be brilliant with transfer speeds because of its usb limitations i know that, I have my pi set up as a wireless nas drive using samba, a usb dongle and a usb hardrive through a powered usb hub, now i heard of people getting read speeds of upto 3mb which would be perfectly fine for me but at the moment i am only getting speeds of about 1mb dropping below frequently which means i am getting buffering issues with higher quailty video's, i was wondering if anyone had any idea's on why my transfer speed is so bad? The wireless signal is fine by the way.

Thanks in advance
by redhawk » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:03 pm
If you "ifconfig wlan0" is your error count above 0??

There are lots of things that could affect the performance of wifi i.e. interference from electrical equipment or other wifi networks.
If you PI is the old rev board with USB polyfuses then your dongle may not be getting sufficient power to operate correctly (check voltage at TP1 / TP2),

Richard S.
by Andrewc2102 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:27 pm
Hi the errors are all 0, the pi is only a month old so its the newer version, all my other wireless devices work nice and fast so i'm fairly certain its not interferance its something to do with the pi itself.