Pi with 16GB SanDisk Extreme Class 10 45MB/s WORKING

33 posts   Page 2 of 2   1, 2
by Narf03 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:24 pm
So the solution above will solve the slow SD card access bug in the boat loader? If yes, I want to know if I follow after doing all those steps, can I clone the SD card and assume that the solution is in the SD card? That means if I got 2nd or 3rd Pi, do I need to do all the steps again if I use a cloned SD(which the SD was cloned from a Pi that done all those steps above)?

Sorry about my poor English, im a Chinese, English is my 3rd or 4th language. =)
by benddennis » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:03 am
Thank you Easter bunny. Your steps above worked perfectly. I think the problem I was having before was that github was down for some reason when I was trying to do the update. Anyway, thanks again.
by therealeasterbunny » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:56 am
Narf03 wrote:So the solution above will solve the slow SD card access bug in the boat loader? If yes, I want to know if I follow after doing all those steps, can I clone the SD card and assume that the solution is in the SD card? That means if I got 2nd or 3rd Pi, do I need to do all the steps again if I use a cloned SD(which the SD was cloned from a Pi that done all those steps above)?

Sorry about my poor English, im a Chinese, English is my 3rd or 4th language. =)

Hi, the solution above will essentially solve issues with some faster SD cards by updating the LINUX software on the SD card.

But, and i am no expert here, you may also need to ensure your firmware is updated also depending on the Pi you have. The firmware is the code that starts up the Pi internally, and is stored in to the GPU to make it function. This firmware when initially powering on the Pi then passes control to the operating system on your SD card to continue booting. Similar to the "BIOS" we are all familiar with on other computers.

It depends if the Pi you are moving (or copying) your SD card to has a firmware that is happy with the current SD card / operting system config.

I'm no expert but that is how I see it. Others may put me right on this. :D
by therealeasterbunny » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:58 am
benddennis wrote:Thank you Easter bunny. Your steps above worked perfectly. I think the problem I was having before was that github was down for some reason when I was trying to do the update. Anyway, thanks again.

Excellent! Thats good news! Thanks for the reply benddennis!
by nickk » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:27 pm
Thanks Easterbunny, all the steps worked fine for me up until downloading the rpi-update file. I was typing a lowercase j at the end of the url rather than uppercase, once I realised my mistake it all worked fine and the two initial issues a had, mmc0: Timeout and no keyboard/mouse in the GUI were resolved.

Thanks! My SanDisk Extreme 32GB card works fine now.
by therealeasterbunny » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:25 pm
Hey thats cool, thanks for reporting back! :)
by ah0b0 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:14 am
on my freaking gosh, you are a godsend! I was seriously about to have a stroke cause I couldn't get it to work so thank you a billion times -- this post should be linked in a troubleshooting section in all the newb setup and installation wikis /pages. Thanks again!!! :lol:
by therealeasterbunny » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:40 pm
ah0b0 wrote:on my freaking gosh, you are a godsend! I was seriously about to have a stroke cause I couldn't get it to work so thank you a billion times -- this post should be linked in a troubleshooting section in all the newb setup and installation wikis /pages. Thanks again!!! :lol:

Thank you very much for your reply comments. I am happy this post is still useful to people! :) Happy Pi'ing!