very new user to linux

6 posts
by neil2909 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:32 am
Have got Pi up and running.

Currently using comp video. got to change config file to set it to Pal, why it's not the default for a uk thing?

Using the recomended Debian "squeeze" how do i get the LXDE to run? :oops:

I've tried
sudo ./lxde
sudo lxde

and the above without the sudo

I've created a new user account and tried there as well but still no luck.

If anyone would like to write a "sticky" thats read only so it don't just grow with post like "thanks etc" with a simple step by step lets hold the new users hand. we could get as newbies to a point where it's doing something fast.

Sorry if there is already a post in place to do this but, I'm not found it after a few days of on and off looking.

Any help to get the gui running would be great thanks neil.
by andyl » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:52 am
This is a very common question.

You need to run startx
by neil2909 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:05 am
thanks Andyl.

Now got it running but no mouse working, not sure if mouse still works? been using the lap top for so long now I loose track what stopped working on the old PC.

So now i've got a few more commands to my list of useful things for newbies.

Sudo nano /boot/config.txt to create a config file with the following to set comp video to UK pal and move the line start to the right so you can see the first few letters on the screen

sdtv_mode=2
overscan_left=20
by andyl » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:39 pm
neil2909 wrote:thanks Andyl.

Now got it running but no mouse working, not sure if mouse still works? been using the lap top for so long now I loose track what stopped working on the old PC.

You may be right, my mouse works OK.

Sudo nano /boot/config.txt to create a config file with the following to set comp video to UK pal and move the line start to the right so you can see the first few letters on the screen

sdtv_mode=2
overscan_left=20

If you are editing the config.txt it is also well worth adding the lines for overclocking.
Code: Select all
arm_freq=800
sdram_freq=500

seems to be run on most of the units. It doesn't affect warranty (only over-volt does that) and the speed increase is fairly significant - which is handy if you are running X.
by obarthelemy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:03 am
I think at that early stage, we're not running X, we're walking it ^^
by neil2909 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:22 pm
Well all goes well so far, hours and hours to get LXDE running.

1/2 hour or so later i've now got the nginx up and running, modem forwarding port 80 to the raspberry and a working web server can't be bad for a newbie. :D