very feverishTeamViewer & Delphi

14 posts
by feverish » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:49 pm
My Raspi arrived. Being seriously linux-impaired, I'd also ordered the Debian boot SD from RS. This slotted in, USB keyboard and mouse connected, HDMI joined to the telly, power on, LED flashes and line after line of vaguely threatening linux-speak scribbled all down the screen. User and password duly entered, LXDE duly appeared and geany soon said hello to the world. Now for the steep bit of the learning curve. For my cup to runneth over, I need two things:- A HOW-TO to get TeamViewer version 7 up and running on the Raspi, if possible. It has to be TeamViewer because that is what the rest of the team is using. I also feverishly need a poor-man's RAD combo to ease my painful enforced parting from Windows and God's gift to computer programming, Delphi. So if any charitable folks who know about such things read this, now would be a good time for them to issue words of wisdom, comfort and education, for which many blessings would be heaped on heads.
by AndrewS » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:04 am
For the former, see if search.php?keywords=teamviewer helps.

For the latter, see if search.php?keywords=fpc helps :)
(AIUI Delphi is very similar to Pascal?)
by feverish » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:51 am
I've spent a few hours ploughing through the net and there are what seem possibly to be quite a few apparently conflicting opinions about TeamViewer, though this may be down to my ignorance. It seems to work on Ubuntu linux provided that linux is running on an X86-processor machine, but of course Raspi uses ARM. So I need to find out if anyone has actually done it.

You're right, Delphi is a RAD GUI programme that uses the Pascal language. But has anyone actually got something similar up and running on Raspi? Again, a fair amount of technobabble that's still over my head but I'm searching for the magic 'can-do' and can't see that.

YET? Hope springs eternal.
by ghans » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:40 am
Well , i'll spend some time answering this.
First , TeamViewer runs on WINE . WINE needs a x86 PC (Intel) . So no way .

(You can always look into RDP , VNC , and NoMachine NX.)

Second , try Lazarus .
It'll be slow , but many Pascal devs are drooling over it.
Supposedly has a very portable UI toolkit , too - "Write once , compile everywhere" (sounds familiar ...)

Thats it.
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by feverish » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:52 pm
The team says TeamViewer or nothing, so it's wind-pie for tea again. But hat's a super intro, so much rejoicing at this end. Half of what you need is a darned sight better than a boxful of no-no-s. Off to burn some midnight oil.
by ghans » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:02 pm
Argh. Stop the imagery ! :S
Not everybody is a native speaker LOL

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by feverish » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:31 am
ghans wrote:Argh. Stop the imagery ! :S
Not everybody is a native speaker LOL

ghans

I've looked everywhere I can think of and have not found out how to get Lazarus working on the Raspi. How did you do it, please? .Lots of info on how to get it set up on Debian Linux using intel engines but how does that work on Raspi's ARM? Words of one syllable would help. Or a URL doing a HOW-TO.
by Twinkletoes » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:52 am
Ahhh a fellow Borland-ite. Compile Delphi to .Net and run it with Mono on R-PI:

sudo apt-get install mono
mono MyConsoleApp.exe

Or in X windows, run any Winforms app (you can't do WPF)

Or host an ASP.Net website in Apache.

All of those work beautifully on the Pi!

Bryan
by ghans » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:22 am
Er ...
In Wheezy , a
Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
apt-get install lazarus

should do.
Or was it in Raspbian ?

ghans
by feverish » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:16 am
Many thanks for the v.useful practical help. I'm off again to play. I've also stumbled across:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7422&p=103656&hilit=Lazarus#p103656
One happy bunny here . . . .
by Federico » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:12 am
Sorry for my ignorance... but the debian version of Teamviewer? There is no way to make it work?
by stevepdp » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:48 am
Federico wrote:Sorry for my ignorance... but the debian version of Teamviewer? There is no way to make it work?

Unfortunately no.

Teamviewer is only compatible with Intel x86 compatible Linux machines. The Raspberry Pi uses an ARM architecture.
I'm not a part of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, I'm just an enthusiastic fan.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by avra » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:16 pm
It might be possible with QEMU user mode emulation to run Linux x86 TeamViewer application on Linux ARM.
by ghans » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:11 pm
AFAIK Teamviewer for Debian is just the Windows app pre-bundled with WINE.
The last time i looked it definitely was. You could retrace Dietmar's efforts and get a
qemu-user-wine-TeamViewer Frankenstein creation running , but i doubt it's wort the effort.

ghans