Trying to access RPi via putty on win7

9 posts
by jackdw » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:33 pm
Saw on a thread that you can access the pi via SSH using a program called Putty. I've downloaded this from here:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html

From my router I can see what IP the pi is getting on bootup, but when I put that into putty and press open, after a couple of seconds I get a small window that says Network Error: Connection Refused.

The thread I read said that SSH was enabled by default and I should be able to login with pi and raspberry, but everything is not as it seems.

Please bear in mind, I am a complete beginner with linux so try to hold off on technical words and long abbreviations, thanks!

- Jack
by jackdw » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:49 am
Seems it's only 'wheezy' debian that has SSH enabled by default, rather than the 'squeeze' debian I was running. Put the wheezy onto my SD card but the OK LED came on for about a second, flickered a few times and then did nothing. Didn't have it connected to a screen but I doubt anything would have come up.

Put the squeeze version back on it now and it's doing the same as before (thankfully I haven't killed my SD card).
Just have to wait for my less power hungry USB keyboard to arrive it seems.

- Jack
by JeremyF » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:51 am
On the latest Squeeze build, SSH is not enabled by default. You must remain /boot/boot_enable_ssh.rc to /boot/boot.rc (These files will show as /boot/(file) on the RPi or in the FAT partition on a Windows box)
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge
by jackdw » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:42 am
JeremyF wrote:On the latest Squeeze build, SSH is not enabled by default. You must remain /boot/boot_enable_ssh.rc to /boot/boot.rc (These files will show as /boot/(file) on the RPi or in the FAT partition on a Windows box)

Sorry, I'm a complete linux noob. How do I go about doing that? Ideally without using the pi itself as the only keyboard I have draws too much power so repeats characters.
by RaTTuS » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:45 am
put the SD card into a read on your windows machine and rename the boot_enable_ssh.rc to boot.rc
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
by jackdw » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:53 am
RaTTuS wrote:put the SD card into a read on your windows machine and rename the boot_enable_ssh.rc to boot.rc

Got the SD card in my desktop now and all I can see close to that in the 55.9MB FAT partition is bootcode.bin.
There are no folders. Or do I have to edit a file in notepad?

Or have I got the entire wrong end of the stick and just give up? :p
by RaTTuS » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:58 am
umm there should be more files there
1) reboot your RPi with the SD card in
2) only plug in the keyboard
3) see if you can get in and
sudo mv /boot/boot_enable_ssh.rc /boot/boot.rc

it may be that your SD card is currupted so doing a re-install may work
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
by jackdw » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:02 pm
Just tried it in the pi hooked up to my TV. It boots and gets an IP address (more than it did last night not plugged in to TV). It hangs for about 2 minutes when it says it's got an IP, and the comes up with RasPi-Config but then a load of error messages come up in front of it, and gradually push it off the top of the screen.

I'll try re-installing onto the SD card, failing that I'll put squeeze back on it and hang tight for the postie to turn up with my keyboard off amazon.
My wired USB keyboard draws too much power so won't work properly, and the wireless USB keyboard I have refuses to work on any system.

Thanks for your help.
by jackdw » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:23 pm
Got it now. I had wheezy installed and you were on about the squeeze. All working on putty now, thanks very much!