No privileges to /boot/ folder

3 posts
by pietari-poika » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:25 pm
Hi! Got my Pi, downloaded debian and booted.

I have a problem with my display, which I can apparently fix if I add a file to the /boot/ folder. I cannot however, because I have no privileges: "Error opening file '/boot/myfile.asd': Permission denied"

I have some programming experience but I know very little of linux. This question must have been answered 9000+ times on the internet, but the real problem is that I don't really know what I'm supposed to search. I found many topics discussing privileges in linux operating systems but none offered me the help I need.

I created a root password using the command "sudo passwd root" in the terminal and then typed in the password. I thought that if I could login as a root user, I could mess around in the /boot/ folder using the GUI file manager. I googled and found out that there's a command line "su -" which allows one to login as root. So I typed that in the terminal and then typed the root password I created earlier. Now I should be logged in as root! But still, if I try to move a file to /boot/, I get the same error I described in the beginning of this post.

What should I do? Please write clear and thorough answers. I don't just wan't to know which magic words to write in the terminal. I wan't to know what those commands are for.
by RaTTuS » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:30 pm
you should be able to create the file under windows [YMMV]
normally under debian
you
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
no need to change to root just run the command as root.
as to it not working in a root cmd prompt I'm not sure
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
by AndrewS » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:46 pm
To explain RaTTuS's post:
sudo = run a command as root (it stands for "switch user do", but I always remember it as "super user do")
nano = a command-line text editor
/boot/config.txt = the file you're going to be editing - http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt for more details

And regarding not getting access via the GUI - sounds to me like you were already running the GUI when you typed in "su -" in a terminal? In which case you'd be running as root in that one terminal but all of the other GUI programs (and any other currently-open terminals) would still be running as the normal "pi" user.
So you'd want to use "sudo pcmanfm" to get a file-manager running with root privileges (which generally isn't recommended - "root stuff" is usually just done via the command line).